Sign in with
Your question

Rookie builder looking for any and all advice

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 4:22:30 AM

Hi.
I'm currently looking at building a new gaming system but am a little unsure as to where to start/ what has the best bang for my buck.

So far using two GTX 570's in SLI seems to be to the best option and about 8 GB of DD3 Ram. But that is about as far as I have gotten.

I would like to build a gaming machine that will last a while and be fine to use on a 40" LED LCD TV. Or should I go for a large monitor?

The game I have in mind of this system being able to play is X: Rebirth, but that hasn't been released yet although X3: Terran Conflict is out and the recommended sys reqs are Intel® Core™ 2 Duo or AMD® equivalent at 2.0 GHz 3 GB RAM. But I'd like to be able to play these games on ultra with ease, and of course other new titles.

Anyway, I'm from New Zealand but I'm looking to spend around $2500 U.S.

Anything you guys have to say would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

More about : rookie builder advice

January 4, 2012 4:25:42 AM

I meant to add that this doesn't include keyboard/mouse, I can sort that later and I don't care what the case is like, just as long as there is adequate airflow I'm happy.
January 4, 2012 4:47:30 AM

what kind of processor/mainboard are you going to use? Is this AMD or Intel? Have you built computers before? You left out some pretty big details mate :) 
Related resources
January 4, 2012 4:53:58 AM

Yeah sorry about that. Not entirely sure about the processor/motherboard, was hoping you guys had a few suggestions, open to all suggestions. I just need a place to start really. Would probably lean more towards Intel only because I keep hearing they are the better option most of the time. Have helped with builds before. But I will have a friend helping me so I don't fry everything
January 4, 2012 12:34:45 PM

Well I would recommend Intel for sure. With a budget like that you are not going to be constrained too much. I would recommend a Z68 mainboard probably with an Intel Core I7 2600K. Run 8Gb of ram like you suggested. (use corsair dominator if ya can get your hands on some). Use either 2xGTX570's or run a single GTX590. use an SSD for your boot drive (maybe 80-120Gb?). a 1 or 2 Tb for data, 850watt or greater PSU, and a nice roomy case with airflow. May I ask for a link to a site(or sites) you plan on using to purchase from?
January 4, 2012 8:59:48 PM

npsgaming said:
Well I would recommend Intel for sure. With a budget like that you are not going to be constrained too much. I would recommend a Z68 mainboard probably with an Intel Core I7 2600K. Run 8Gb of ram like you suggested. (use corsair dominator if ya can get your hands on some). Use either 2xGTX570's or run a single GTX590. use an SSD for your boot drive (maybe 80-120Gb?). a 1 or 2 Tb for data, 850watt or greater PSU, and a nice roomy case with airflow. May I ask for a link to a site(or sites) you plan on using to purchase from?

Cool thanks for that. Probably New Egg but the cheaper the better I guess so not fussed about which site. Although I have been browsing New Egg and it seems quite good and everyone here seems to approve of it.
January 5, 2012 3:53:32 AM

That is definitely a wise choice. Can you get newegg shipped to New Zealand? I didn't know they shipped international o.O . If you can get them I recommend a company called EVGA for the mainboard and video card(s). Their support has always been outstanding and their products are well worth the extra money. I have an evga 6600(?) AGP and the thing is still blazing fast for HD movies and so forth. PSU I would say corsair, antec, or coolermaster. I like the modular setup corsair has it makes cleaning up easy.
January 6, 2012 4:59:17 AM

npsgaming said:
That is definitely a wise choice. Can you get newegg shipped to New Zealand? I didn't know they shipped international o.O . If you can get them I recommend a company called EVGA for the mainboard and video card(s). Their support has always been outstanding and their products are well worth the extra money. I have an evga 6600(?) AGP and the thing is still blazing fast for HD movies and so forth. PSU I would say corsair, antec, or coolermaster. I like the modular setup corsair has it makes cleaning up easy.

Okay you are right, newegg doesn't ship outside the U.S, so that sinks that boat haha. There is this site that I was thinking of ordering from but I'm not sure how their prices stack up against other sellers. But I suppose I could use amazon.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/

Is there any chance you could give me a rough list of parts you might use? Just so I can get a feel for where I'm at/ what I will be able to build. Again thanks for any advice you are willing to share
!