Sign in with
Your question

Possible bad MOBO ?

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 4:22:48 AM

Ok so sorry for what is about to be a wall of text...

I had a rosewill green series 530W psu and after buying a pheonm II X6 1090T BE to replace my old Phenom 9600 My pc would randomly turn off when my GPU and CPU were both under load at the same time, mainly when I was gaming, and after some reading online and then ran the PSU test on OCCT I came to the conclusion that it was time for a new PSU, so I got an XFX 850W XXX Edition 80 Plus Silver PSU, It had good reviews from what I read on various sites, and was at a good price. Well I had some extra money so I decided to get a new Case (my old one was an old Imicro Xblade mid tower case with the side panel missing) the thing was ugly cramped and had worse cable management than the cheapest E Machines that you can buy at walmart. so I got the AZZA Hurrican 2000R, I liked they way it looked it had 8 fans (4 - 230mm and 4 - 120mm fans) and it also had good reviews on many sites. Well I decided that since its Christmas and I was already gonna be taking my Pc apart to move it to the new case I wanted to get an aftermarket cpu cooler to upgrade from the stock one. Well I got the Noctua NH-D14 (no explanation needed on why I got this one ;)  well my parts arrived today and I put everything together first outside of the case on top of one of the cardboard boxes to make sure everything worked, and it did. so I continued to install everything into the case. well I got everything installed and all seemed well and so I ran the PSU test on OCCT just to stress the PSU and make sure it was good and everything was fine, until while browsing google chrome I hear this faint but Very noticeable and VERY VERY nerve racking high pitched squeal coming from my computer speakers (not internal speaker) It may be important to add that I havent actually used my onboard audio for a very long time because I have been using an M-audio mobile pre usb audio interface for all my in and out audio (i do the recording for my band) well the thing died on my and yesterday I was forced to use the onboard audio, so in order to use my KRK studio monitors (they are the only speakers I have) I used a male 1/8 to rca cable to run from my mobos on board sound chip to my monitors it seemed to work fine but today after installing everything I am getting this noise, just to make sure it wasn't the cable or my monitors I connected a set of headphones to the front panel and disconnected my KRK's well it was still there. so I hit google, the most common thing that people said it could be was a bad PSU so I pulled everything out and hooked up my old PSU to test, well the sound was even more noticeable now so I ruled out the new PSU as the culprit, so I thought "Ok well maybe its some sort of ground issue with the case so I took everything out *Again* and just set everything up on a cardboard box again (same one from before to be specific) well I STILL had that noise, but after trying the old PSU now I can hear this screeching noise everytime I move my mouse and I constant clicking and popping so I concluded that it couldn't have been the case seeing as it still did it outside of the case, the only thing left that was different from yesterday was the NH-D14, so I pulled it out and re-installed the stock cooler, well the sound is still there. I have re installed every single driver on my pc and at one point today I took an extra HDD I had disconnected the two that I had installed before and did a fresh install of windows 7 on it and still no luck, I read online about "electromagnetic interference" from different components so I went into my bios and turned on both things relating to EMI "spread spectrum" and "Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency" well still nothing. tried moving my gpu to another slot hoping that the EMI was caused by that (I read somewhere that it is possible). I think I have tried literally everything possible, I am now sitting with everything installed and cable managed because other than the sounds I am getting its working fine. I Have read that adding a new sound card could fix this, Well I am planning on getting a firewire audio interface to replace my dead M-Audio one regardless but honestly at this point I am afraid that the sound will still be there. I am afraid that it is a bad MOBO idk, at this point I am literally going insane because I have been fooling with this thing since 9:30 this morning and it is now 1:14 the next morning here, thats almost 16 hours with minimal breaks for food and using the restroom.

I now stand before the mercy of the Tomshardware community asking you guys "is there anything that I can do to get rid of this or at the very least tell me what the hell is going on."

as I said before I am sorry for this wall of text.

One last bit of info, My PC specs:

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum V1
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz Overclocked to 3.6Ghz
Ram: 8Gb DDR2
Video card: XFX Radeon HD 4890
Harddrive(s): 2 250gb 7200tpm sata drives (one for OS other for storage)
PSU :XFX PRO850W XXX Edition
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

More about : bad mobo

a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 12:17:00 PM

You may have a bad speaker port on the motherboard or bad wire on your speakers somewhere. It's cheaper to get a low end soundcard than replace the board. For troubleshooting, remove all the other cards one at a time and reboot to see if that helps. You can rma the board to msi; it will take about 3 weeks to get a new one, and it won't be new, just tested.
m
l
January 4, 2012 12:34:05 PM

ahh that wall of text scared me,, had to run away ":( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 1:48:51 PM

White space in writing is good, for future reference.

In any event, take out everything that isn't completely necessary to boot with.

Go down to 1 stick of RAM, 1 hard drive, whatever the most bare bones you can get and still have a working computer is.

See if the problem is still there.

Switch out the RAM you took out with the RAM still in and see if its still there.

Basically just cut it to the absolute minimum and if the problem isn't there then add parts till it comes back.

- Edit - BTW, consider that it may be a bad boot hard drive.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 2:14:09 PM

duxducis said:
ahh that wall of text scared me,, had to run away ":( 

Me too, if i wanted to read a book I would read a book.
m
l
January 4, 2012 4:01:35 PM

@geekapproved, @duxducis:
Yeah sorry guys for the wall of text, next time I will Make better paragraphs.

@o1die:
Well I don't believe its a bad port on the MOBO because I went from my speakers plugged into the back port to using headphones plugged into the front audio jack on the case, and its still there.
I already removed all but the very basic things needed to boot when I pulled everything out and booted it outside of the case.
I already planned on getting a new sound card anyways even before I got the new parts so I will have to try that in the next week or so, I am getting a firewire interface so it will be outside of my pc and should be completely free on any source of noise hopefully

Also I don't think msi will let me rma the board, I bought it second hand from someone else over a year ago.

@Raiddinn:
I already tried to reduce it to the very minimum (see previous paragraph)
and I doubt its the boot drive because I Installed and ran windows on a completely different hard drive and removed the ones that I normally use.

I appreciate everyone's help so far but like I said I spent nearly 16 hours messing with this thing so I think I tried most troubleshooting techniques
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:13:00 PM

I think that it may be worth mentioning that I went into bios and disable my onboard audio and while I was in my bios I could hear a static noise every time I hit a key on my keyboard, so now I am REALLY confused, I proceeded to disable the onboard sound and I still get the noises :/ 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 5:14:26 PM

Msi doesn't require a receipt to rma a board, last time I used their website. They check the motherboard serial number to see if there's any warranty left. Can't hurt to request an rma; worst they can say is no. Takes about 24 hours for them to respond.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:44:52 PM

I am starting to think it is a bad motherboard.

Anyway, let me know how the new sound card works out that you intend to get.
m
l
January 5, 2012 1:36:27 AM

Raiddinn said:
I am starting to think it is a bad motherboard.

Anyway, let me know how the new sound card works out that you intend to get.

I definitely will. I plan on getting it this weekend and if that doesn't work out, then I will probably go insane because the noise my computer makes literally pierces your brain lol, but honestly I don't see why It wouldn't work because its an external sound card, and one of the added benefits of an external sound card is that the sound is processed AWAY from your computer thus separating it and the sound from any noise or interference from your hardware. If that doesn't work then I will maybe look into what o1die suggested about rma or I may just give in and get a new mobo which will hurt financially because there almost no DDR2 boards out thus forcing me to get a DDR3 board and in turn making me get new ram, and besides if I am changing boards I might as well make it a worthwhile upgrade lol.
m
l
January 5, 2012 2:31:27 AM

Ok so I just was browsing the internet and I unplugged my speakers to stop the noise so I could think straight, and I get the static kinda noise in my SPEAKERS when I press a key on my keyboard and when I move my mouse, now remember my speakers are UNPLUGGED. HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE !?!?!

Edit: also if i use something like intelburn the high pitched noise goes away as soon as the cores get full load on them and i am just left with the static noise and if I run a gpu stress instead I get an increased volume of the static noise... I don't know if that helps any :/ 
m
l
January 5, 2012 10:44:54 AM

It sounds pretty weird that the speakers would be making noises if they are unplugged.

Did you say you tried it with different speakers?
m
l
January 5, 2012 4:08:50 PM

Raiddinn said:
It sounds pretty weird that the speakers would be making noises if they are unplugged.

Did you say you tried it with different speakers?

Yeah I have tried it with My KRK's, a set of headphones, and I have tried with a cheap set of standard desktop speakers, and I tried each in the front and back. I get the high pitched sound with all three but only the static sound when I'm unplugged with the KRK's.
m
l
January 5, 2012 7:16:11 PM

Well, it would be pretty crazy if it ended up being a bad keyboard somehow, but I suspect it isn't the case.

If the new sound thing doesn't work, my next guess is a bad motherboard.
m
l
January 5, 2012 9:57:00 PM

Raiddinn said:
Well, it would be pretty crazy if it ended up being a bad keyboard somehow, but I suspect it isn't the case.

If the new sound thing doesn't work, my next guess is a bad motherboard.

lol it would be crazy, but I actually already tried a different keyboard and mouse just out of sheer paranoia of leaving something out lmao.
I will update here as soon as I get the new sound card, I am also gonna try and borrow a video card from a friend and try that just to eliminate all possibility of me leaving something out, if those fail to yield any results I will look into the Rma or I may just give in and get a new board if i have to...
m
l
January 8, 2012 12:52:12 AM

Ok so I got the new Audio interface, Its the PreSonus Firestudio Mobile Firewire Interface, I have my my monitors hooked up to it and cranked it just to make absolute sure the sound is gone, and the only thing I hear when nothing is playing is the hiss from the speakers which I knew would be there because I had them cranked. So YES my Problem is solved. I thank all of you for helping me try to solve this.
m
l
January 8, 2012 1:37:11 AM

NP.
m
l
!