Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question regarding GPU upgrade, and moving hardware to a larger case

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 4, 2012 4:36:15 AM

Not sure really where to post this..

Don't know a great deal about this guys so.. bear with me.

Alright, I've been using a prebuilt machine for a while now, but I depserately need a better GPU, however the PC uses a micro-atx board, so I am limited to a single-slot card - and with the way the PC is manufactured, upgrading the PSU to suit a new GPU seems very difficult.

So, I want to move my internals into a bigger case (so I can get a good, dual-slot GPU) but I'm not sure if I can do this.. Someone stated elsewhere that the front panel connectors of a new case might not be compatible with my motherboard....and if there will be any more problems, I'm hoping you guys can identify them.

Basically, I want to move to a bigger case to allow me to install a new GPU and PSU, but I don't know if this is going to be possible as I have a prebuilt machine. Anyway I will link some pictures and my specs.

Motherboard - Packard Bell imedia S3810

Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs)


(Note these pictures are not taken by me, so the graphic card you see installed in the pics is not present in my machine, I am running the internal graphics)

h**ttp://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...gjo/mboard.jpg

h**ttp://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...engjo/card.jpg

h**ttp://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/...o/IMG_0390.jpg

So as you can see from the last image, I don't know how I would go about upgrading the PSU, and even if I did that..I would be limited to a one-slot graphics card
January 4, 2012 1:28:12 PM

The links didn't work that you posted.

If it has ... in the middle of it, its not something we can use. Also if there is a ** in the HTTP portion.

Try taking the links and running them through www.tinyurl.com to turn them into short ones that don't abbreviate.

As for the other stuff, I would ideally like to see the pictures before giving any serious comments, but I wanted to say that it is likely that the motherboard WILL work in a different case.

Additionally, it is likely that a new video card WILL work in that motherboard IF you have a good enough PSU.

You can try getting an Antec 300 Illusion case which is a good go to case for people with low-ish end builds. Good airflow and reasonable room.

It has the PSU on the bottom which is currently the ideal setup. I don't know if it has a perforated bottom or not, but ideally cases with bottom mount PSUs should have them for best functionality. It probably doesn't because it doesn't look like the case has feet.

My case (PC-K59) has feet and a perforated underside if you want to do better than the Illusion case.

The PSU isn't hard to upgrade as long as you are sticking with a solid brand.

I think you would do well if you got an XFX 450w.

With a better case and a better PSU, you should have no problems getting a non-low-profile card, but again pictures of the motherboard would be nice to confirm this.

I don't forsee any problems with the XFX not having the right connectors, but if you state the number of pins on the motherboard power connectors I can confirm that too.

My biggest fear really is that the imedia motherboard is somehow non-standard and won't fit a universal case. I couldn't find any information about the motherboard, so anything you can find me in that regard would help me confirm whether it will work in a universal case.
January 4, 2012 2:17:34 PM

A dual slot card will work fine on a M-atx motherboard....what's the problem?

Quote:
Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs)


Huh? 4 cpu's?? LOL
Related resources
January 4, 2012 3:29:13 PM

geekapproved said:
A dual slot card will work fine on a M-atx motherboard....what's the problem?

Quote:
Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs)


Huh? 4 cpu's?? LOL


Obviously, he means threads. Just sayin.
January 4, 2012 5:01:11 PM

geekapproved said:
A dual slot card will work fine on a M-atx motherboard....what's the problem?

Quote:
Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs)


Huh? 4 cpu's?? LOL




For it to fit in my case it would have to be a single slot card.

And I don't know, I copied it from Dxdiag.
January 4, 2012 5:17:05 PM

Raiddinn said:
The links didn't work that you posted.

If it has ... in the middle of it, its not something we can use. Also if there is a ** in the HTTP portion.

Try taking the links and running them through www.tinyurl.com to turn them into short ones that don't abbreviate.

As for the other stuff, I would ideally like to see the pictures before giving any serious comments, but I wanted to say that it is likely that the motherboard WILL work in a different case.

Additionally, it is likely that a new video card WILL work in that motherboard IF you have a good enough PSU.

You can try getting an Antec 300 Illusion case which is a good go to case for people with low-ish end builds. Good airflow and reasonable room.

It has the PSU on the bottom which is currently the ideal setup. I don't know if it has a perforated bottom or not, but ideally cases with bottom mount PSUs should have them for best functionality. It probably doesn't because it doesn't look like the case has feet.

My case (PC-K59) has feet and a perforated underside if you want to do better than the Illusion case.

The PSU isn't hard to upgrade as long as you are sticking with a solid brand.

I think you would do well if you got an XFX 450w.

With a better case and a better PSU, you should have no problems getting a non-low-profile card, but again pictures of the motherboard would be nice to confirm this.

I don't forsee any problems with the XFX not having the right connectors, but if you state the number of pins on the motherboard power connectors I can confirm that too.

My biggest fear really is that the imedia motherboard is somehow non-standard and won't fit a universal case. I couldn't find any information about the motherboard, so anything you can find me in that regard would help me confirm whether it will work in a universal case.




Alright, I fixed the links but I got ' you are not allowed to edit this message ' so I'll post 'em here.


Motherboard - http://tinyurl.com/75yf5e9


Where I'll have to put graphics card(this slot is currently empty on my machine) - http://tinyurl.com/72gmhj5


Shot of the PSU - http://tinyurl.com/86t4pb5

--

So you think I should be fine moving my hardware to a new case? (obviously after purchasing a new PSU and GPU)

Also...

Do you know of any single-slot graphics cards that will run games like Skyrim smoothly? Not looking for ultra settings etc, just a normal settings smooth experience. (Obviously this is only if that PSU can be replaced) ..because I'm unsure whether to risk moving everything to a new case and my motherboard ******* it all up for me


January 4, 2012 5:22:51 PM

First Image doesn't work anymore ...
January 4, 2012 6:29:10 PM

Alright basically my main question now is, will I be able to upgrade that power supply?
January 4, 2012 6:59:01 PM

Do I see this right that the PSU is --> middle <-- mounted?

Looking at the mboard.jpg closely it looks like your current PSU already isn't optimal for use with this motherboard.

It seems like the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector and the PSU you are using only has a 20. Not even a 20 + 4, only a 20.

It doesn't hurt anything if your motherboard doesn't need to pull the maximum possible juice, but you will definitely want a new PSU if you intend to get a new graphics card, no question about it.

The graphics card slot gives 75w to the graphics card so it can operate, and cards with additional PCIE connectors get another 25w per 2 wires in those if the slot in the board doesn't suffice.

That being said, am I to interpret your statements right that you intend to put the graphics card in that tiny tiny little black slot on the motherboard?

While you are answering that, could you potentially give me a direct photo of the PSU and tell me what the monitor is plugged into currently?
January 4, 2012 7:07:20 PM

Raiddinn said:
Do I see this right that the PSU is --> middle <-- mounted?

Looking at the mboard.jpg closely it looks like your current PSU already isn't optimal for use with this motherboard.

It seems like the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector and the PSU you are using only has a 20. Not even a 20 + 4, only a 20.

It doesn't hurt anything if your motherboard doesn't need to pull the maximum possible juice, but you will definitely want a new PSU if you intend to get a new graphics card, no question about it.

The graphics card slot gives 75w to the graphics card so it can operate, and cards with additional PCIE connectors get another 25w per 2 wires in those if the slot in the board doesn't suffice.

That being said, am I to interpret your statements right that you intend to put the graphics card in that tiny tiny little black slot on the motherboard?

While you are answering that, could you potentially give me a direct photo of the PSU and tell me what the monitor is plugged into currently?


Yeah the PSU is in the middle. My question is will I be able to purchase one that will fit in there?

No, I intend to put the graphics card into the slot that you can see a graphics card plugged into already. (PCI-E 16x)

I am aware that I need to upgrade my PSU as my current one is only 250W. - http://tinyurl.com/783xlju


My monitor is currently plugged into the default port on the motherboard.
January 4, 2012 7:22:15 PM

Get a new universal case and a universal PSU is pretty much guaranteed to fit in it without problems.

XFX 450w will handle one video card fine in the new case with lots of room available.

Any regular mid-tower case shouldn't have these problems.

If I didn't mention it before, the Antec 300 case or the Antec 300 Illusion case are both good entry level cases that people use a lot.


Also, do I understand it correctly that you have a graphics card installed and the monitor isn't plugged into it? If so, why? Just wondering.
January 4, 2012 7:28:34 PM

Nah, I found that picture online. I currently have no graphics card installed.


Thanks for the help.
January 4, 2012 8:14:18 PM

silentcontrast said:
For it to fit in my case it would have to be a single slot card.

And I don't know, I copied it from Dxdiag.


Ok well you didn't say anything about the case being the reason you can't install the videocard, you said:

Quote:
the PC uses a micro-atx board, so I am limited to a single-slot card
January 5, 2012 3:08:22 AM

Regardless, my suggestion is for new case (Antec 300), new PSU (XFX 450w), and new graphics card (maybe 6870).
January 5, 2012 4:47:01 PM

Raiddinn said:
Do I see this right that the PSU is --> middle <-- mounted?

Looking at the mboard.jpg closely it looks like your current PSU already isn't optimal for use with this motherboard.

It seems like the motherboard has a 24 pin power connector and the PSU you are using only has a 20. Not even a 20 + 4, only a 20.


Just saw the thread, a new psu and case are definitely a good idea.

Look closer, you can see the +4 section of the 20+4 connector sitting right there on top of the ram.
January 5, 2012 8:01:19 PM

Maybe I didn't look closely enough.

Thanks again for checking my posts for errors.
January 5, 2012 8:24:15 PM

Raiddinn said:
Maybe I didn't look closely enough.

Thanks again for checking my posts for errors.

If I were doing that, I can gaurantee you'd be hearing from me more often.
August 14, 2013 7:37:46 PM

did you go through with this?
!