Sign in with
Your question

Regarding connectors

Last response: in Components
April 14, 2012 3:49:44 PM

Regarding connectors.
I have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...oTek%20PSUL775 for a PSU.

What I'd like to do is find appropriate extensions for the 6+2 connectors so that there is no power loss (at least nothing too large)

I require all 4 of them to be extended.

my confusion stems from not knowing if the 6+2 = an 8pin connector or not.

The reason I need all 4 of these extended, is because I do no wish to cut the PSU cables, however I will need them cut so i can wire all of my grounds and all of my 12v rail together.

Questions/comments, lemme know.

Thanks in advance.

More about : connectors

a c 243 ) Power supply
April 14, 2012 3:56:57 PM

Want to extend them so you don't have to cut them, but will have to cut them in order to join them together
Huh ?

Link doesn't work
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:06:14 PM

Appologies

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Incase that doesnt work:

Specifications
Power Supply Specifications
Form Factor ATX
Wattage 775W
Modular Cabling No
Fan 140 mm
Input Voltage 115 ~ 230
+3.3V 24 A
+5V 30 A
+12V 1 60 A
+12V Rails 1
-12V 0.5 A
+5VSB 2.5 A
MTBF 100,000 Hours
Connector Specifications
Motherboard Connector 20+4 Pin
6-Pin/8-Pin PCI-Express Connector 4
4-Pin Floppy Connector 1
4-Pin Peripheral Connector 6
SATA Power Connector 6

The reason im cutting them, is because im using 150wx4 to give me ~600w where i want it to go.

This isnt powering a computer, so forget about why i would or would not want to cut things.

I MAY use this PSU in a cpu LATER though, which is why i don't want to simply whack the PSU wires.

I do appreciate the quick response though :p 
m
l
Related resources
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 14, 2012 4:22:59 PM

That's an extremely low quality pos, doubt it could provide 50amps to anything for very long.
What is it you want to try and power with it ?
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:26:18 PM

I was able to locate a post similar information required:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289393-28-extension-c...

About half-way through, "Saaiello" states "A cable that says it is a 6 +2 can be eitier a 6 pin 75 watt connector or an 8 pin 150 watt connector."

Can anyone verify this?

The thing that confuses me, is the additional two wires on a 6+2 resemble grounds.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:28:21 PM

Quality is exactly why I want to leave my warranty options open :p 

m
l
April 14, 2012 4:32:50 PM

It will be powering an amplifier with a current draw of 60A max, however, the component the amplifier will be connected to will draw much less, being that I will have to limit for stability.

I presume the most amperage I'll draw will be in the 40A range.

Regarding the question at hand though.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 14, 2012 9:37:57 PM

ltgift said:
I was able to locate a post similar information required:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289393-28-extension-c...

About half-way through, "Saaiello" states "A cable that says it is a 6 +2 can be eitier a 6 pin 75 watt connector or an 8 pin 150 watt connector."

Can anyone verify this?

The thing that confuses me, is the additional two wires on a 6+2 resemble grounds.

The extra pins are grounds, supposedly lessen's resistance, basically there just to provide a signal to the graphics pcb that an "8" pin is connected.
Some psu's use what I call pigtailed pcie connectors

Theoretically, 225 watts thru 3 yellow 12v wires
m
l
April 15, 2012 3:57:16 AM

What you're saying, if I understand correctly, is that a 6pin extension for the 6+2 would be sufficient for my needs since im not in essence, tricking a component into wanting to draw more current. The same amount of power will flow regardless of how many pins, it will just be less grounded.

edit: it would actually be better to use 6pin so I don't accidentally wire one of the extra grounds that would be on the bottom row post-extension.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:07:22 AM

also, if I only use 6 pin connectors, and I use 4 of them, that would by 18gauge x 12 which is a little over 0000 gauge overall, provided I'll probably have a bit of degradation this way.
Are we in agreement that quad 6pin would be sufficient?

Am I missing something?

edit: looks like when you put multiples together, it factors by cross section.

"When the cross-sectional area of a wire is doubled, the AWG will decrease by 3. (e.g., Two No. 14 AWG wires have about the same cross-sectional area as a single No. 11 AWG wire.)"

2x18 = 15
4x18 = 2x 15 = 12
8x18 = 4x 15 = 2x12 = 9
12x18 = 6x 15 = 3x12 = 1.5x9 = ~7.5 gauge

m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 15, 2012 4:47:03 AM

I do not advise anyone to give comments relating to individuals modifying power supplies.

I am an electronics technician and have not only maintained Radar Systems but have also built power supplies. I've seen and heard of many people hurt by messing with power, even trained technicians.

While the poster does seem to have some limited knowledge about power supplies, some of his comments make me very nervous that he has sufficient knowledge to mess around with this such as "so i can wire all of my grounds and all of my 12v rail together."

I strongly suggest that he buy an approved power supply for his amplifier.
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:58:17 AM

Well you sure aren't getting selected for the best reply.

Edit: you want me to park my car in my living room?

But yeh, I do agree, don't give me advice about modifying anything and stick to OT. :lol: 
m
l
!