Help BSOD's after new build

Hey guys i really need some help here i just built this new system. It has an i3-2120, Patriot gamer 2 8gb DDR3-1333mhz, Asus GTX 550 ti, Biostar TZ68A+ mobo, 500w PSU, 1tb HDD, and windows 7 ultimate. I keep getting these bsods even after i have done a clean install.

I get IRQL_not_less_or_equal
memory_management
page_fault_nonpaged area

I really dont know what to do and its makin me angry. Please help


This build is a week old and the only thing i do on it is play SWTOR and use fraps and Cyberlink Power director.

I never had any bsods with my old system which was an AMD athalon 2 x4 630, foxconn mobo, amd 6450 video card, kingston 4gb ram DDR3-1333mhz, same 500w PSU and same windows and HDD as this new build.
24 answers Last reply
More about help bsod build
  1. Most common causes of BSODs are
    Bad drivers
    Bad RAM
    Bad Hard Drive
    Heat

    We can try to start working through that list.

    Bad Drivers = Restart in safe mode, try to see if you can crash it somehow. If you can, its probably not bad drivers.

    Bad RAM = Download and run Memtest86 overnight while you are sleeping.

    Bad Hard Drive = If you have another hard drive laying around or you can get your hands on one, then try installing Windows on that instead of the one you are using now. Make sure to disconnect the current one completely if you are trying this.

    Heat = Download and run HWMonitor from CPUID. Use it while you are doing stuff.


    On a separate note, what are you doing at the time these BSODs happen?
  2. Most likely you have bad ram try one stick at a time or different ram if you have some handy and let us know
  3. Sounds like ram.

    Go in bios and make sure your memory settings are exactly set to what the sticker on the memory says. Voltage, timings and speed.

    If that's all set right, download memtest86 and put it on a cd and boot to it. If you get any errors, then try each stick one at a time until you find the bad one.
  4. Raiddinn said:

    Bad Drivers = Restart in safe mode, try to see if you can crash it somehow. If you can, its probably not bad drivers.
    Bad RAM = Download and run Memtest86 overnight while you are sleeping.
    Bad Hard Drive = If you have another hard drive laying around or you can get your hands on one, then try installing Windows on that instead of the one you are using now. Make sure to disconnect the current one completely if you are trying this.
    Heat = Download and run HWMonitor from CPUID. Use it while you are doing stuff.


    To add to this...

    Drivers - Make sure you go to Boistar and Asus' web site for driver updates instead of the direct chip maker.

    RAM - MEMTEST86 for at least three passes. This will take a WHILE with 8GB of memory (overnight as Raiddinn eluded to).

    Hard Drive - The trial version of HDTune will test the drives for you. Highly recommended for physical problems and also speed tests.

    Heat - Definately need to know temps when the system is maxed out for a little while.

    I would suspect memory also, but would start with updating / confirming drivers from Biostar... A BIOS update wouldn't be a bad thing if there is one available...
  5. I ran memtest and it lasted about 3 seconds before it stopped and said i had 866 errors. I tried some new ram and it did the same. I reloaded windows on the HDD and installed all the new drivers. I think i forgot to uninstall the old drivers and just installed the new ones over them which i guess could have done this. I got an SSD today and put windows on it and just the drivers for my hardware and it seems to be doing Ok.
  6. If you ran Memtest and it had 866 errors you probably need new RAM. If you get something to register as bad in Memtest there is usually no two ways around it.

    If your system instability returns, I would suggest getting new RAM as the next option. Either that or try to send that RAM back to the manufacturer and tell them to give you new ones.
  7. yea idk what the deal with it is. The ram is brand new. i tried it with 4gb(2x2) of kingston but it kept restarting before it would run the test. I read online that it wouldnt work with only 4gb
  8. the ram was cheap that could be why it sucks. it was like 29 bucks for 8gb
  9. You get what you pay for. RAM problems are some of the biggest headaches you can have with computers and I am finding more and more that buying cheapy RAM just isn't worth it. I only buy Crucial RAM now and suggest the same to others.

    When the computer keeps restarting its often bad RAM or potentially the RAM isn't pushed all the way into the slot correctly.

    You can try taking the battery out, pushing the RAM firmly to make sure it is all the way in, and then putting the battery back in after 30 min. It might work.

    If you do have to buy RAM, though, there isn't very many Crucial RAM types that are tested to work with your board. You should look up the QVL of your board to see which part numbers are on it and get whichever one is from Crucial if there is one and it is available for you to buy somewhere.
  10. Oh wow, I had a horrid experience with Crucial ram. Ballistix Tracers. Bought 4 of them, 3 of them failed, 2 of them failed twice.

    Bought Corsair, no more problems.

    Gave 2 of the replacement Tracers that Crucial sent me to a friend and installed it in her computer as a birthday gift and they failed again after about 10months.

    This time I sent them to Crucial and requested something other than Tracers. They sent me the cheapest non heatsink ram they had and so far about 2 months it's been working fine.

    Never again will I buy Crucial ram for my desktop.

    I'm currently running Mushkin for the first time ever.
  11. Well i know patriot SSD's are really good so i was hoping the ram was too. I couldve been wrong. I like Kingston ive used them for years. If i have to get new ram ill prolly just get Corsair Vengeance since they have some really awesome reviews and stuff. at first i thought it was my mobo. i got the tz68a+ but in the system info and bios its showing it as being a tz68k+ which through me off
  12. So my mobo will support all the ripjaws,dominator,xms3, but not Patriot gamer 2. wtf.
  13. which im selling this build to a friend and i want to get it running properly so i dont look like a dick
  14. geekapproved said:
    Oh wow, I had a horrid experience with Crucial ram. Ballistix Tracers. Bought 4 of them, 3 of them failed, 2 of them failed twice.

    Bought Corsair, no more problems.

    Gave 2 of the replacement Tracers that Crucial sent me to a friend and installed it in her computer as a birthday gift and they failed again after about 10months.

    This time I sent them to Crucial and requested something other than Tracers. They sent me the cheapest non heatsink ram they had and so far about 2 months it's been working fine.

    Never again will I buy Crucial ram for my desktop.

    I'm currently running Mushkin for the first time ever.


    Any clue who the OEMs are on those other companies (Mushkin, Corsair, etc)?
  15. Raiddinn said:
    Any clue who the OEMs are on those other companies (Mushkin, Corsair, etc)?


    You mean the chips? No idea, cause of the heatsinks. When I did purchasing for a computer company back in the day, I only bought memory with Micron(crucial) branded chips because we had the least problems with those. I also only purchased laptop memory from Micron.

    However I was just stating my personal experience with their Ballistix crap.
  16. All I am saying is that many brands of RAM are made of chips that were rejects from the Micron production lines. The rejects obviously not being better than the non-rejects.
  17. Really, find it very difficult to believe that Corsair, Gskill, Patriot, Kingston etc use Micron's rejects and warranties them for life.
  18. Four companies make them. Micron, Samsung, Hitachi, and Hyundai. Take your pick for which goes with which.
  19. Raiddinn said:
    Four companies make them. Micron, Samsung, Hitachi, and Hyundai. Take your pick for which goes with which.


    4 companies make what?? What are you talking about?
  20. Those black chips on the RAM boards.
  21. Only 4 companies make ram chips.....? Really?

    Your VERY misinformed. lol

    I still have no idea what you mean by "take your pick which". For what?
  22. Before I post a link showing there are only 4 companies that are capable of making those black RAM chips, how many do you think there are?
  23. Raiddinn said:
    Before I post a link showing there are only 4 companies that are capable of making those black RAM chips, how many do you think there are?



    I have bought many brands other than the ones you listed. Nanya, fujitsu, siemens, NEC, Rambus and Toshiba are a few of them.
  24. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

    The 4 I listed Micron/Crucial, Samsung, Nec/Hitachi/Elpida, and Hyundai/Hynix account for ~90% of all DRAM sales with most other companies either bought by those or in the process of phasing out their DRAM manufacturing.

    I was wrong to say that only 4 can do it. However, I was not wrong to say that substantially all brands derive from these, with the overwhelming majority of brands coming from the chips these companies reject.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems