How check if mouse driver exists?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

My WinXP works at the moment with my usual Logitech mouse and
the standard XP mouse driver (called "PS/2 compatible mouse" in
Device Manager).

I now want to install a new PS/2 mouse ("Ami 250S" made by Trust).

When I plug in the new mouse it does not work. For some reason XP
does not pop up and tell me it has detected a new device.

(Q.1) How do I get this popup ability back?

(Q.2) Secondly, how do I get to see the list of mice which XP
supports?

My odd-sounding mouse instructions say I should uninstall the old
mouse driver and that I should do it in Safe Mode. Then they say to
reboot into normal XP to install their new driver (which they
point out is unsigned).

(Q.3) Is uninstalling the old driver really necessary? Can I have
two PS/2 mouse drivers and somehow choose which one I activate?

(Q.4) Do I really need to go to safe mode to uninstall the old
driver?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Here's a helpful tip, whatever you do DO NOT try to unplug and plug in a new
mouse while the computer is powered up. This could potentially cause serious
damage to your motherboard.

Regards,
Justin Johnson
Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:45:59 -0500, "Justin Johnson"
<compgenius3@hotpop.com> wrote:

>Here's a helpful tip, whatever you do DO NOT try to unplug and plug in a new
>mouse while the computer is powered up. This could potentially cause serious
>damage to your motherboard.
>
>Regards,
>Justin Johnson

Ummmmmm ....... BULLSH*T !!!!!

PS2 mice need to reboot to be recognized between swaps, but to suggest
that merely swapping a mouse will cause damage to a motherboard is
utter bullsh*t.

Install the new driver. Turn off your system. Plug in new mouse.
Restart system. If this does not do the trick......... drop a line to
the manufacturer. ALL mouses (meese?) today should be "plug n play",
with a driver only needed for "extra" features (configuring extra
buttons). I've installed 3 wireless mouses on 3 different machines,
and didn't "need" a driver for any............

§kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

It is partly true for OLD POS motherboards using USB, but not PS/2.

Oh, and it would be mice instead of mouses or meese :p

----
Nathan McNulty

§kullywag©- wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:45:59 -0500, "Justin Johnson"
> <compgenius3@hotpop.com> wrote:
>

>>Here's a helpful tip, whatever you do DO NOT try to unplug and plug in a new
>>mouse while the computer is powered up. This could potentially cause serious
>>damage to your motherboard.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Justin Johnson
>

> Ummmmmm ....... BULLSH*T !!!!!
>
> PS2 mice need to reboot to be recognized between swaps, but to suggest
> that merely swapping a mouse will cause damage to a motherboard is
> utter bullsh*t.
>
> Install the new driver. Turn off your system. Plug in new mouse.
> Restart system. If this does not do the trick......... drop a line to
> the manufacturer. ALL mouses (meese?) today should be "plug n play",
> with a driver only needed for "extra" features (configuring extra
> buttons). I've installed 3 wireless mouses on 3 different machines,
> and didn't "need" a driver for any............
>

> §kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I can plug a PS2 mouse into my Compaq 2710 notebook while running, and
it runs just fine without rebooting.

Mice? Are you sure? I always thought it was "meeces."

Bob

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
| It is partly true for OLD POS motherboards using USB, but not PS/2.
|
| Oh, and it would be mice instead of mouses or meese :p
|
| ----
| Nathan McNulty
|

| §kullywag©- wrote:
| > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:45:59 -0500, "Justin Johnson"
| > <compgenius3@hotpop.com> wrote:
| >

| >>Here's a helpful tip, whatever you do DO NOT try to unplug and plug
in a new
| >>mouse while the computer is powered up. This could potentially cause
serious
| >>damage to your motherboard.
| >>
| >>Regards,
| >>Justin Johnson
| >

| > Ummmmmm ....... BULLSH*T !!!!!
| >
| > PS2 mice need to reboot to be recognized between swaps, but to
suggest
| > that merely swapping a mouse will cause damage to a motherboard is
| > utter bullsh*t.
| >
| > Install the new driver. Turn off your system. Plug in new mouse.
| > Restart system. If this does not do the trick......... drop a line
| > the manufacturer. ALL mouses (meese?) today should be "plug n
play",
| > with a driver only needed for "extra" features (configuring extra
| > buttons). I've installed 3 wireless mouses on 3 different machines,
| > and didn't "need" a driver for any............
| >

| > §kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Love to eat them mousies,
Mousies what I love to eat,
Bite they little heads off,
Nibble on they tiny feet."

Bob Gibson wrote:

> I can plug a PS2 mouse into my Compaq 2710 notebook while running, and
> it runs just fine without rebooting.
>
> Mice? Are you sure? I always thought it was "meeces."
>
> Bob
>

> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> | It is partly true for OLD POS motherboards using USB, but not PS/2.
> |
> | Oh, and it would be mice instead of mouses or meese :p
> |
> | ----
> | Nathan McNulty
> |

> | §kullywag©- wrote:

> in a new
> serious

> | > Ummmmmm ....... BULLSH*T !!!!!
> | >
> | > PS2 mice need to reboot to be recognized between swaps, but to
> suggest
> | > that merely swapping a mouse will cause damage to a motherboard is
> | > utter bullsh*t.
> | >
> | > Install the new driver. Turn off your system. Plug in new mouse.
> | > Restart system. If this does not do the trick......... drop a line
> | > the manufacturer. ALL mouses (meese?) today should be "plug n
> play",
> | > with a driver only needed for "extra" features (configuring extra
> | > buttons). I've installed 3 wireless mouses on 3 different machines,
> | > and didn't "need" a driver for any............
> | >

> | > §kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

For PS2, you must turn off the PC and plug it in and turn it back on.
This is the only way that I know of to make it work since it isn't plug
and play. A reboot may be enough, but I'm not sure since all of my
stuff is USB and wireless. If you had a PS2 mouse plugged in when you
started the computer, removed it after Windows loaded, but left Windows
running, came back a day later and plugged it back in while Windows was
still running, it would work fine.

Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT technology
originally used for keyboards. Before this point they had all been
Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see the old trackball mice
and PS2 mice start to phase out completely by the end of this year and
only accept USB as this has been a push for motherboard makers to cut
costs of manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
have a PS2 port on them anymore :)

----
Nathan McNulty

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:43:19 -0700, "Bob Gibson" <iamnot@here.com>
wrote:

>I can plug a PS2 mouse into my Compaq 2710 notebook while running, and
>it runs just fine without rebooting.
>
>Mice? Are you sure? I always thought it was "meeces."
>
>Bob
Useless mouse knowledge:

In 1984 Steve Jobs introduced the first mass produced "mouse" with the
original Apple Macintosh. It was originally called a "gerbil".
After many personal injury lawsuits originating in San Francisco, the
name was changed to "mouse" making it less desirable to this group of
law suit happy people.
In San Francisco , while it was considered "chic" to place a gerbil in
ones rectum, it was also considered "vulgar" to do so with a mouse.

Side note: Vibrating cell phones are currently considered "chic" in
San Francisco.

§kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

OK, that last part I could have done without. :p

----
Nathan McNulty

§kullywag©- wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:43:19 -0700, "Bob Gibson" <iamnot@here.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I can plug a PS2 mouse into my Compaq 2710 notebook while running, and
>>it runs just fine without rebooting.
>>
>>Mice? Are you sure? I always thought it was "meeces."
>>
>>Bob
>
> Useless mouse knowledge:
>
> In 1984 Steve Jobs introduced the first mass produced "mouse" with the
> original Apple Macintosh. It was originally called a "gerbil".
> After many personal injury lawsuits originating in San Francisco, the
> name was changed to "mouse" making it less desirable to this group of
> law suit happy people.
> In San Francisco , while it was considered "chic" to place a gerbil in
> ones rectum, it was also considered "vulgar" to do so with a mouse.
>
> Side note: Vibrating cell phones are currently considered "chic" in
> San Francisco.
>

> §kullywag©-

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:

> Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT
> technology originally used for keyboards. Before this point
> they had all been Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see
> the old trackball mice and PS2 mice start to phase out
> completely by the end of this year and only accept USB as this
> has been a push for motherboard makers to cut costs of
> manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
> have a PS2 port on them anymore :)

I seem to recall that gamers prefer PS/2 mice because they are more
responsive and/or precise.

Are they right?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:39:55 +0100, Zarbol Csar
<zarbol@csar.net> wrote:

>Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT
>> technology originally used for keyboards. Before this point
>> they had all been Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see
>> the old trackball mice and PS2 mice start to phase out
>> completely by the end of this year and only accept USB as this
>> has been a push for motherboard makers to cut costs of
>> manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
>> have a PS2 port on them anymore :)
>>

>I seem to recall that gamers prefer PS/2 mice because they are more
>responsive and/or precise.
>
>Are they right?

Only if a sampling rate utility is used in Win9x or
WinNT/XP's sampling rate is set high enough. I don't even
recall what the default is but it should be set to at least
80-100Hz for best results.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Zarbol Csar" <zarbol@csar.net> wrote in message
> Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT
>> technology originally used for keyboards. Before this point
>> they had all been Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see
>> the old trackball mice and PS2 mice start to phase out
>> completely by the end of this year and only accept USB as this
>> has been a push for motherboard makers to cut costs of
>> manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
>> have a PS2 port on them anymore :)
>>

> I seem to recall that gamers prefer PS/2 mice because they are more
> responsive and/or precise.
>
> Are they right?

I don't agree at all. USB works fine for any gaming. The difference comes in
whether it's a laser mouse, optical mouse, or a old ball mouse. Any serious
gamer will have a laser or optical mouse, and it's usually usb.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

It has to do with Sampling rates. A PS/2 port can sample at up to
200Hz a second while a USB mouse is around 125HZ per second.

"Zarbol Csar" <zarbol@csar.net> wrote in message
> Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT
>> technology originally used for keyboards. Before this point
>> they had all been Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see
>> the old trackball mice and PS2 mice start to phase out
>> completely by the end of this year and only accept USB as this
>> has been a push for motherboard makers to cut costs of
>> manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
>> have a PS2 port on them anymore :)
>>

> I seem to recall that gamers prefer PS/2 mice because they are more
> responsive and/or precise.
>
> Are they right?

JS

Zarbol Csar <zarbol@csar.net> wrote in news:9573C80C385C451D7E@130.133.1.4:

> Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> Another side note, PS2 mice were developed off the old AT
>> technology originally used for keyboards. Before this point
>> they had all been Serial (DB9). I would not be surprised to see
>> the old trackball mice and PS2 mice start to phase out
>> completely by the end of this year and only accept USB as this
>> has been a push for motherboard makers to cut costs of
>> manufacturing with PS2 ports. Many laptops today do not even
>> have a PS2 port on them anymore :)
>
> I seem to recall that gamers prefer PS/2 mice because they are more
> responsive and/or precise.
>
> Are they right?

I just got a Logitech 510. The driver I got with it included a sample rate
adjustment utility and Logitech recommended using the PS2 port instead of
the USB. Logitech used to claim this was their best game mouse. I don't
know if they still do since they released their laser mouse.