Final question before buying.

maxicusdagreat

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
So Newegg has this deal going on right now that if I buy a select motherboard than I can get 8GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM. Now the problem is that it's not a dual channel. That's a downside, but the good thing is that I could get the memory with an Asrock Extreme 6 motherboard. And it costs me $12 less than it cost with the memory I used to have (Kingston Hyper X Blue) and my old motherboard choice (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3). So should I go for the deal, or keep my old combo? I could always upgrade later.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012

As expected, the performance difference between single channel and dual channel DDR2-800 memory using an up-to-date Core 2 Duo system Compare Prices on Core 2 Duo Processors is little to nil, depending on the benchmark - most tests show differences, but they are really small. For games and enthusiast PCs, we recommend sticking to high-performance dual channel RAM, because the memory is one of those components that you want to perform best for a smooth experience. For regular applications, though, it doesn’t really matter much whether you run single or dual channel. Two 1 GB DIMMs typically are cheaper than a single 2 GB module, but a single DIMM will reduce your power consumption by several watts (which might just be more interesting than it is important).
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705-15.html