No mATX AM3+ Board w/900 series Chipset??

mrbrian200

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Been keeping an eye for such a thing myself for some time. Gave up. Came to conclusion AMD decided small form factor only for APUs. Tech trends in the last 50 or so years is to squeeze higher performance into smaller packages. Locking their highest performing chips strictly onto physically larger packages (when SFF is technically feasible) I consider a major blunder... as if they're purposely telling one of the more profitable sectors (non-OEM hpc builders) to take a hike. If OE builds favored AMD I might be able to grasp such an argument, but OE's overwhelmingly favor Intel (with no signs of that changing). Makes no sense whatsoever to me. AMD isn't doing well. Vulture capital circling. Someday I'm sure this will be included as one of a multitude of little nails, with the single biggest stake to the heart being AMDs ridiculous pre-release hyping of BD into something it wasn't.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe, as knightdog says, it is the MB manufacturers that have made that decision. Not AMD. Whatever the reason, it forces everyone into an Intel system for those building with small footprint MicroATX Mid Tower cases. And a little less revenue for AMD.

leodmonkey

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
the lack of good matx boards for amd is ridiculous. I built 4 budget gaming pcs last year all intel matx : P , looked for amd first because i liked their processors and their price, but the boards where really weak and not that cheap for what they had.

mrbrian200

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I officially gave up on AMD for SFF high end. With intel SFF can be taken to the extreme: bought/put together Asus ROG mITX/i7-4770k/GTX770. It fits in the entertainment center I don't miss the tower one bit.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Hey! Asrock came through with one. Good for them. Must be new. Although I'm still disappointed that it is only 4+1 power phases. :(
In my original post, I should have added "...suitable for overclocking".

Anyway, I gave up waiting and built a small case budget gamer based on the MSI A88X Gaming and an Athlon X4 860K.
Corsair H60 for cooling and a GTX 960.