Sign in with
Your question

Is an SSD worth it?

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 12:39:04 PM

I use Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro. Could the use of an SSD improve my system performance.

Current system is:
Intel i7-2600k
16GB RAM
2TB Hitachi HDD
MSI MB
GTX 430 Graphics cards

More about : ssd worth

a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 12:52:15 PM

In short, yes an SSD is 100% worth it almost regardless of what your using it with, you going to see much quicker boot and shut down times and much faster responsiveness when opening files and applications. (presuming your OS, Applications and files are all stored on the SSD of course).
m
l
January 4, 2012 2:18:10 PM

I'll agree with Adrian...my SSD was the single largest performance improvement I have noticed in parts that I have upgraded.

My computer normally did the ~1 min boot...now it boots in 8 - 10 seconds. It used to take 30 or so seconds to shut down...now it's 3 seconds.

Programs launch faster as well.

Overall...excellent upgrade/purchase.
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 2:18:31 PM

It is the single biggest performance boost i have seen in adding 1 device to my computer. So yes so worth it changes how you use you computer. 20 second boot 1 sec open of all office apps but Outlook that took 3 seconds ect. So yes way worth it.

THent
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 2:30:37 PM

I love mine. It doesn't give me 160 fps in Crysis Warhead or wash my car, but it does make a lot of what happens on my monitor screen happen instantaneously. The old HDD boot drive days seem like a bad dream, with Vista forever grinding indexing and that mind-numbing suspension of temporal reality while Windows takes the Tardis to Pluto and back before it shuts off. Now, gigantic pdfs open like they're teensy jpgs, and GIMP pops up like I had it minimized. Winows 7 64 installed in ten minutes.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 2:38:10 PM

I will agree with everyone else here that it will increase performance and you can set two of them (or more) up in raid for even more performance.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 2:52:07 PM

Indeed, a fresh OS on a quick SSD is a wonderful thing.
m
l
January 4, 2012 3:00:12 PM

That and maybe another GPU. A GTX 430? Do you mean a GT 430? If so upgrading your GPU will also yield great advantages and better performance.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
January 4, 2012 3:04:34 PM

Of course they are worth it. I recommend a Crucial M4.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 3:23:51 PM

Whoa, Kudos to tinmann for pointing that out. Your system seems very unbalanced. Personally, I would suggest that you address the graphics card first. You mentioned that you are using Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro. Are you also using the system for gaming? If not then you may be able to make do (anyone else want to weigh in on that?) with the graphics card you have but if you want to play games I would suggest that you upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 560 ti or a RADEON HD 6950 card or better.

An SSD would definitely make a huge difference and you would notice it right away but keep in mind what is its purpose. It is a storage device and the only thing that it is going to affect is storage tasks. If you look at all of the reponses on this thread you will notice that what everyone is talking about is things that require the computer to perform reads and writes to the starage device. For that purpose an SSD provides a very significant improvement in speed and responsiveness.
m
l
January 4, 2012 4:55:22 PM

For the money SSDs really are still a rip off and 10.000rpm HDDs give you very fast speed and allot more storage for you hard earned money enough said.
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:22:39 PM

JKatwyopc said:
Whoa, Kudos to tinmann for pointing that out. Your system seems very unbalanced. Personally, I would suggest that you address the graphics card first. You mentioned that you are using Lightroom 3, Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro. Are you also using the system for gaming? If not then you may be able to make do (anyone else want to weigh in on that?) with the graphics card you have but if you want to play games I would suggest that you upgrade the graphics card to a GTX 560 ti or a RADEON HD 6950 card or better.

An SSD would definitely make a huge difference and you would notice it right away but keep in mind what is its purpose. It is a storage device and the only thing that it is going to affect is storage tasks. If you look at all of the reponses on this thread you will notice that what everyone is talking about is things that require the computer to perform reads and writes to the starage device. For that purpose an SSD provides a very significant improvement in speed and responsiveness.

10,00rpm HDDs are fast enough and relatively cheap as compared to SSDs I cant believe how easy people submit to hype, marketing and internet buzz and SSD is a perfect case in point.
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:34:29 PM

Headspin_69 - that's a refreshing balance. However, I already have the above hardware... just purchased and built the system. I did mean EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (not 430) - I have two of them so I can use three / four monitors... Lots of multi-tasking.

What I'm struggling with is how best to utilize it for max benefit. I don't think it makes sense to use as a system disk because of its size (120MB). Win 7 Pro leaves approx 70GB free. Adobe Master collection eats up about 30GB plus whatever LR3 uses... and then there will be other system files. mmmm .. Just not sure.

Oh, almost forgot... I do not play games. Left that behind in the 80s (I guess that shows my age :)  )
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 5:44:44 PM

You should play games. They got better.

The SSD is a luxury, sure. So luxuriate. In Soviet Union luxuriating is forbidden, but not here.
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:53:06 PM

Petrofsky said:

The SSD is a luxury, sure. So luxuriate. In Soviet Union luxuriating is forbidden, but not here.

Guess that's probably a signifier as to a major reason why the American Empire is collapsing.
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:59:36 PM

Petrofsky said:

For reasons not exactly know to me most people are putting the OS on there relatively small capacity SSDs for to maximize the SSDs performance advantages and it makes sense to me because Widows is what controls and makes everything happen so if it has faster access to it's protocols via SSD it should in effect to a more or lesser degree help speed up everything.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 6:16:28 PM

The worthy-ness of your upgrade much depends on what you starting form..... above it was noted that the user's boot time went from to 8-10 seconds. The 10 seconds seems a bit optimistic (Best I have seen with a tier 3 SSD is 15 seconds ..... tier 3 = fastest available 120/128GB units).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/buy-ssd-recommendat...

That 1 minute time is something I can sympathize with as my lappie takes longer than that ..... but for example, on Son No. 3's box, his machine booted in 21.2 seconds off a 2TB Barracuda XT HD..... adding a Vertex 3 Max IOPS (Tier 3 unit) dropped the boot time from 21.2 to 15.6 seconds.

I loaded the Saga of Ryzom MMO (chosen cause it's a self contained application and doesn't have registry entries so easy to run off any drive) off both the SSD and the HD .....and with 5 tries opening the game each way, they both averaged about 45 seconds ....... the HD actually won 3 outta the 5 tests but in each test, the difference was less than a half second and easily attributable to reaction times hitting the stop watch.....then again, could be the netweok server handshaking that is the bottleneck so laod times don't matter.

So yes, an SSD would improve my experience on the lappie, but my son hasn't been as impressed with his 5.6 seconds per day savings. He figured out that if it lasts 3 years, it will have cost him about $3 per minute in time savings.

Now in your case w/ CS5 and Premier Pro, I'm sure that the improved response would have a greater effect on your activities than his.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 6:23:27 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Guess that's probably a signifier as to a major reason why the American Empire is collapsing.

Da. Ruble will rise again. All virtuous proletariat desire hardship, ignorance, fear, poverty and worker control of means of production of dual-GPU graphics cards. I guess your rig is made of adobe and is powered by moonbeams shining out Stalin's butt.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:32:25 PM

JackNaylorPE said:

So yes, an SSD would improve my experience on the lappie, but my son hasn't been as impressed with his 5.6 seconds per day savings. He figured out that if it lasts 3 years, it will have cost him about $3 per minute in time savings.

this... if your time is so important to you that 5 secound boot time is going to make a difference then yes they are worth it. (although a lot of people who brag about this leave there system on 24/7 :heink:  ) SSD are very over priced and a lot of hype for a few seconds here and there for the normal user. they have recently become a better option with the expensive HD prices due to thialand issues.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:50:03 PM

Petrofsky said:
Da. Ruble will rise again. All virtuous proletariat desire hardship, ignorance, fear, poverty and worker control of means of production of dual-GPU graphics cards. I guess your rig is made of adobe and is powered by moonbeams shining out Stalin's butt.

Fascism/monetary capitalism is such a messy waste of resources and human lives. PS don't let Obama's propaganda fool you his force of persuasion and rhetoric is strong in that one backed by WallStreet itself. Pardon me to the OP for jacking thread.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:52:54 PM

weezys_advocate said:
this... if your time is so important to you that 5 secound boot time is going to make a difference then yes they are worth it. (although a lot of people who brag about this leave there system on 24/7 :heink:  ) SSD are very over priced and a lot of hype for a few seconds here and there for the normal user. they have recently become a better option with the expensive HD prices due to thialand issues.

Even on slow windows XP a fast high performance 10,000rpm HDD is comparable boot up shut down time to an SSD
m
l
January 4, 2012 7:00:55 PM

weezys_advocate said:

That's kind of what I have come to realize. Within reason I don't mind how long it takes to boot up and I can wait a few extra ticks for an application to start. What I'm most interested in is having my apps (especially LR3) runs as fast as possible once it's started.

Beyond me at this point, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to have this as some kind of "processing" disk. Not sure if that makes sense.
m
l
January 4, 2012 7:43:10 PM

Novuake said:
A RESOUNDING YES!!! In those programs.

A quick and simple explanation thats relevant to what you use.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-upgrade-hdd-per...

Watch the video on the last page or read the whole thing.

Thanks for the link. I will read the document in full - later. I watched the video and I can see the benefits. HOWEVER, with Win 7 pro, MS Office, Adobe CS5 Master,... I will more than fill 128GB.

How are people getting around this problem without having to do constant maintenance of the SSD free space?
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:00:23 PM

Quote:
Example time

I bought my brother a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB for $60 before the floods, we installed windows 7 and games onto it and everything else onto his other HDD.

I then bought my brother a Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD for $174.99 (not including the $30 rebate it comes with) and installed windows 7 onto it and everything else onto samsung and other 1tb hdd.

Load time for samsung >45 seconds just to load windows screen
Load time for Corsair Force GT @ 3GB/s connection (his mobo doesn't support 6GB/s transfer rates) < 12 seconds to load windows screen.

Now imagine if his Corsair was running on 6GB/s basically doubling its sequential read and what its load times would be like.. ~5 seconds for windows screen to load I would think.

I myself own a Intel 320 series 120GB sata II SSD that only runs @ 3GB/s saturation. Load times are almost equal to the Corsair @ 3GB/s.

That isn't the best part about having a SSD thought but it is a main part.

The best thing about having a SSD is this,

Owning a SSD makes everyday simple tasks so much faster and easier to accomplish.

Going from having a SSD to not having one is like going from having 2 legs to only having 1. Or having two hands for a SSD but only 1 for a HDD as in you can still use the hand but you are much more effective with two hands.

The way the prices are dropping on these SSDs, a 120GB 6GB/s 550mb read SSD for $180 is amazing compared to what I paid for my intel 320 series 120GB 3GB/s 270mb read SSD for $225 back in July.

Most people can wait another 25sec for windows to load LOL and the rest is just being Fickle about having the fastest LOL.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 8:06:59 PM

mRoy62 said:
Thanks for the link. I will read the document in full - later. I watched the video and I can see the benefits. HOWEVER, with Win 7 pro, MS Office, Adobe CS5 Master,... I will more than fill 128GB.

How are people getting around this problem without having to do constant maintenance of the SSD free space?

They don't. Constant maintenance is necessary.

There are many ways to help conserve space. Only put most used programs and Windows on. Compressing the SSD files(windows incl, although this affects performance slightly). Disabling the page file. A simple google search will find you many tweaks.

You do not have to get 128GB. I have seen a Corsair Force GT 240GB Sata 3 SSD in action and its even better than that video. The larger the capacity the faster they get at this stage.

Keep in mind that it really depends on the rest of your system if it would truly be worth it. I5 and up then yes.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 8:09:02 PM

Headspin_69 said:
Pardon me to the OP for jacking thread.

Ditto, but it was fun.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:13:46 PM

so any time you save will be lost by the constant ssd maintenance you will have to do as you will be near capacity ...
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:14:18 PM

Petrofsky said:
Ditto, but it was fun.

In a world where you are only as free as your bank account will allow.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 8:16:58 PM

weezys_advocate said:
so any time you save will be lost by the constant ssd maintenance you will have to do as you will be near capacity ...

Not at all, as disk cleanups are barely time consuming. Just the setup is time consuming, after that its just benefits.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:19:23 PM

Maybe another solution would be to buy more RAM (it's so cheap now) and make a RAM-disk for page files, swap files, temporary files etc. RAM will last much longer and you won't need to maintain it.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:23:00 PM

So I get that start up speed for Windows and programs will be faster. That is not an issue for me. When Windows starts, I'm good. When programs start, I'm good. When programs run slowly, I'm bad.

So, the real question is given that I have the 128MB SSD already, what is the best way to utilize it such that my main program, Lightroom 3, runs as fast as possible?

As a reminder my system is:
Intel i7-2600k
16GB RAM
2TB Hitachi HDD
1TB HDD
500 GB HDD
MSI MB
2 x EVGA GTX 460 Graphics cards
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 8:23:27 PM

Daist said:
Maybe another solution would be to buy more RAM (it's so cheap now) and make a RAM-disk for page files, swap files, temporary files etc. RAM will last much longer and you won't need to maintain it.

Say what???
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:25:12 PM

Daist said:

I have filled all 4 slots with 4 x 4GB RAM. Only just bought this so not a solution today.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 8:29:12 PM

mRoy62 said:
So I get that start up speed for Windows and programs will be faster. That is not an issue for me. When Windows starts, I'm good. When programs start, I'm good. When programs run slowly, I'm bad.

So, the real question is given that I have the 128MB SSD already, what is the best way to utilize it such that my main program, Lightroom 3, runs as fast as possible?

Intel i7-2600k
16GB RAM
2TB Hitachi HDD
1TB HDD
500 GB HDD
MSI MB

Well first of a clean install of windows on the SSD.

Then add all necessary small programs like adobe reader and browser and whatnot to it.

Install Lightroom 3 and copy new photos you wish to edit onto that drive if you working on them and after you are done move it to storage HDD.

Disable your page file and consider compressing you windows disk(SSD).

All games, videos that are not used regularly install on the HDD ( I keep a separate partition for that).

See what you end up with, if you still have space issues. Google SSD space saving.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:32:07 PM

I use the Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA III
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The price came down on the Corsair Force Series GT, I would have gotten this if it were at this price when I purchased.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
There were problems with the Force 3 Series at first but a firmware update corrected all the issues.
I just read you already have an SSD, My bad. I got ahead of myself there.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:38:44 PM

IMO, your best bet would have to be the HDD/SSD hybrid. Since it is failry a good amount of space (500 GB average) for a nice price. The hybrid was compared to a 7200 RPM, 10k RPM, and an SSD. It wne ahead of the 7200 RPM and 10k RPM and only slightly fell behind the SSD.

So for your uses, the hybrid is the best choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

List of Hybrid drives. (Excluding the 4th, 5th, and 6th items) Good luck!
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:42:04 PM

rocknrollz said:
IMO, your best bet would have to be the HDD/SSD hybrid. Since it is failry a good amount of space (500 GB average) for a nice price. The hybrid was compared to a 7200 RPM, 10k RPM, and an SSD. It wne ahead of the 7200 RPM and 10k RPM and only slightly fell behind the SSD.

So for your uses, the hybrid is the best choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

List of Hybrid drives. (Excluding the 4th, 5th, and 6th items) Good luck!

I have the items already. Not looking to buy more.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:43:04 PM

Is it WORTH it..., I have to be the dissenting voice and say no. Value wise it isn't worth it at the current going rate. I own one and LOVE its performance but it still isn't worth it from a value stand point, for what it is. It makes me think of why are ink cartridges so expensive when its just a few grams of dyed ink? Not an exact comparison but you should get the jest.
m
l
January 4, 2012 9:31:26 PM

warezme said:
Is it WORTH it..., I have to be the dissenting voice and say no. Value wise it isn't worth it at the current going rate. I own one and LOVE its performance but it still isn't worth it from a value stand point, for what it is. It makes me think of why are ink cartridges so expensive when its just a few grams of dyed ink? Not an exact comparison but you should get the jest.

I get the gist. I guess I might be able to return it... but I'm going to assume I cannot. Given I have it already and I'm not going to use it as a system disk what's the best way to use it to speed up Lightroom 3 when in the Develop module.
m
l
January 6, 2012 3:47:49 AM

mRoy62 said:

Intel i7-2600k
16GB RAM
2TB Hitachi HDD
1TB HDD
500 GB HDD
MSI MB

I just built a system very similiar to yours. Like your's, its main use is as a workstation. This was my first time using a ssd and it really just makes everything extremely fast and simple. Just be aware that win7 will take up a very large amount of space due to the 16gb of ram you have installed. The page file scales based on ram size; I installed onto a 90gb ssd drive and win7 took up half of it! I have to buy a second ssd now to hold my programs. I just can't justify spending 150+ on a hard drive when I can get a 120gb ssd for similar prices.
m
l
January 6, 2012 11:11:29 AM

I have the page file disabled on the SSD, but enabled on a different mechanical disk. I do not want the page file running on the SSD...good warning kKately...

There is a list of items you should do or disable on SSDs...pagefile is one, defrag, etc. You don't want unnecessary writes to it, since it has a limited number of write operations.
m
l
January 6, 2012 11:29:18 AM

huron said:
I have the page file disabled on the SSD, but enabled on a different mechanical disk. I do not want the page file running on the SSD...good warning kKately...

There is a list of items you should do or disable on SSDs...pagefile is one, defrag, etc. You don't want unnecessary writes to it, since it has a limited number of write operations.

This is great info. Was really leaning away from using my SSD as the system drive, for various reasons but have decided to give it a go... if nothing else to learn more about the files associated with the Window 7 OS. I think I'll do this by understanding which files need to be moved that are normally on the system boot drive to a HDD.

You mention that there is a list of items. Do you have the full list. I've also heard about something called SSD Tweaker. Should I be using that.
m
l
January 9, 2012 5:14:36 PM

Happy to provide some info.

Here's a pair of articles that go into pretty good detail about items that you might want to keep off of the SSD:

http://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-...

That's one that I used to get me started. I believe I found some more info by googling around and checking out other sites like howtogeek.com
m
l
!