Gigabyte P67 wont boot to OS or disk

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Hello all,
I have been having major problems with my PC recently. It boots fine into safe mode but when i try to boot in to regular mode it just gets past the Windows loading screen and restarts. This also happens when boot from CD and when I boot Ubuntu from USB.

I did flash the BIOS using @bios (i know, i know...) and i've removed the cmos battery.

I've also disconnected the graphics card and hard drive and let the PC boot from usb to Ubuntu but it still restarts.

Gigabyte P67-UD3
Intel Core i5 2500k
XFX Radeon HD 6870
4 x 2GB Corsair XMS 3
700W Cooler Master Silent Pro

Was this ever working? If so for how long? Also, if so what changed?

You might want to think about replacing the PSU with an XFX 450w, btw. Especially if the computer was working for a long time and now it isn't.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
My CPU was overclocked to 4.5ghz.

Yeah it worked fine every since I bought it in February. I should have never messed about with it as it was working fine before :/

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
A couple of major things i've done since it worked:

I flashed the BIOS using in in-OS program called @BIOS which i've recently learned isn't a good tool to use to flash the BIOS.

Removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Flashed the BIOS to the latest version using QFlash in the BIOS.

Crewton: I'll try this when i get home. Thanks.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
@bios is bad for motherboards without the dual bios set up but you have that so you are fine. If you fail to flash it will just reinstall the back up bios and reboot fine. If you didn't have the dual bios feature and the flash failed then you'd be in for a bad day.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Yeah I think i've used the backup BIOS at some point when i've tried to fix it.

I've tried booting with just one stick in and it didn't work. I tried each stick as well and no luck there.

If i can get in to safe mode fine, surely the PSU would be alright? Same goes for RAM, CPU and Motherboard?

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Depends, you aren't using the same power in safe mode that you are using with a normal boot. Have you tried reformatting the hard drive and doing a fresh install of windows? It could easily be a bad driver that isn't loading on start up that doesn't load in safe mode.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
The same restart problem happens even if i boot from USB to try and use Ubuntu. So it can't be a problem with the Windows OS or hard drive.

I already did recommend one that will fit in it.

The PSU sizes are pretty much universal outside of the mini-ITX intended PSUs. There are hundreds of the exact same size as yours.

I suggested an XFX 450w, btw.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Would this be alright to use when the CPU is overclocked? I will hope to overclock it again when its sorted out. Cheers.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
So that PSU can handle my gfx card and the cpu overclocked? Sorry for the questions but 450w seems low.

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012

Hi again. My new PSU arrived today but theres only one 6 pin connector for my graphics card but my graphics card has two sockets. Anything I can do?

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Can anyone help? I've got an XFX 450w psu with only one 6 pin pci-e connector for my graphics card but my card needs two. I've read about molex to 6 pin adaptors that should work?

DaveyT

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
Alright i've got the cable and tried to boot using the new psu but no luck. Does the exact same thing as when i use my other psu. Any one else got any other ideas?

Safe mode works fine. But booting from hard drive, disk drive and usb bootable OS all fail and reboots the pc. Getting pretty desperate now. Cheers.