Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New editing/gaming rig- Need your opinion

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 2:40:28 PM

Hi im getting a new PC mainly for HD video editing, and gaming. This is what i had in mind, just wanted to hear you guys opinion the the system:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower black
Power: Corsair TX V2 650W PSU
CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, Socket-1155
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA
HDD: Seagate Barracuda® 7200.12 1TB
SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB
Drive: Sony Optiarc DVD±RW Writer, AD-5280S
Monitor: something 24" or 27" resolution: 1920x1200

Thank you

Best solution

January 4, 2012 3:17:51 PM

Looks pretty good with a couple of things you should take into account:

Quote:
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 570 1280MB PhysX CUDA

I'm not too familiar with Zotac but they don't seem to be highly rated on Newegg or elsewhere. EVGA would be a better bet for the same money.

Quote:
SSD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB

I'm not too big on the Force 3 - I've heard a lot of complaints with many issues surrounding this drive, and they're more likely to BSOD than anything else (although that's mainly due to the Sandforce firmware). Try the Intel 510, or the Crucial M4. I also keep hearing good things about the Mushkin Chronos series as well.

Quote:
Case: Antec Three Hundred Midi Tower black

You could probably spend a little bit more on the case (maybe go for something like the Corsair Carbide or Fractal Design Arc MIDI which have excellent cable management systems), or if you want to stick with the 300, get a good aftermarket cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212. A lot of people will tell you you don't need an aftermarket cooler if you're not OC'ing but personally I don't like the fans that Intel and AMD include with their CPUs - the Intel fan is just a piece of aluminum with a plastic fan on top and if you're spending the $320 on the i7, you might as well get a little insurance to go along with it, right?
January 4, 2012 3:42:52 PM

Thanks for reply.

What about the Gainward version of the GPU is that better?'

A thing i dont understand about the Crucial M4 SSD, 128GB (500MB/175MB/s) and Intel 510, 120GB (450MB/210MB/s) is that the Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB has a speed of 555MB/515MB/s but the price is much cheaper on the corsair, is is just pure quality talk? Should i still go for the Crucial M4 then?

How does a case like Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl or Cooler Master CM 690 II Lite or advanced sound like?

Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 3:56:50 PM

Quote:
What about the Gainward version of the GPU is that better?'

I don't know much about them - they're not available in the US at least as far as I know.

Quote:
A thing i dont understand about the Crucial M4 SSD, 128GB (500MB/175MB/s) and Intel 510, 120GB (450MB/210MB/s) is that the Corsair Force Series 3, 120GB has a speed of 555MB/515MB/s but the price is much cheaper on the corsair, is is just pure quality talk? Should i still go for the Crucial M4 then?

A lot of it is quality talk, but a lot of it also depends on the manufacturer and how they manipulate the Sandforce memory controllers and drivers. There's a tier if you do some research and the higher up you go, the faster the drives get, and the faster your read/write times will be. What I'd question more than that is long-term reliability. And that's where SSD makers like Intel and Crucial shine over a lot of the competition. You can have the fastest drive on the market, but if something goes wrong, what are you going to do to replace it?

Quote:
How does a case like Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl or Cooler Master CM 690 II Lite or advanced sound like?

The Define R3 is pretty sweet. I like Cooler Master (have owned a couple of their cases, right now using the HAF 912) - but the CM690II is quite a bit of an older design and it will most likely lack features like better ventilation and support for fans and liquid radiator mounting brackets, and advanced cable management. The R3 is a much newer design and it's more likely to have a lot of the features the CM690II won't.
m
l
January 4, 2012 6:25:46 PM

Awesome thanks, ill the the M4 and R3 case

Last question is if i should get the ASUS Sabertooth P67, or the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3?

m
l
January 4, 2012 6:51:36 PM

boogiemann said:
Awesome thanks, ill the the M4 and R3 case

Last question is if i should get the ASUS Sabertooth P67, or the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3?

I do not like the Sabertooth - it was a good concept but a horrible design and execution. The Gigabyte is definitely a better choice for the money (same board I have), but if you go Asus - go with the P8Z68-V Pro, or maybe try the Asrock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 if it's available where you live.
m
l
January 4, 2012 7:02:14 PM

Allright ill just stick with the gigabyte then..

But thank you very much for the help g-unit! :) 
m
l
January 11, 2012 10:30:02 AM

Best answer selected by boogiemann.
m
l
!