Sign in with
Your question

2k Gaming rig build ready-> could you please critique

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 3:16:19 PM

PLEASE NOTE: I am going to overclock

Gfx Card that I am substituting the 580 with the new Radeon 7970 coming out in a few days.

Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB - for $48, I cant find this on Part picker

Monitor, Speakers* I already have a brand new monitor and speakers.

I need to trim the fat, I expected this be around 15-1600 dollars. I am $500 dollars over my initial costs, but still within my $2000 Dollar budget.

I am looking to shop only Newegg which will run me close to $2000 after everything.

Questions:

My buddy gave me a legit windows 7 iso disk that he downloaded and gets for free for being a student at a university, This will save me a $100 dollars but I fear I may wake up one day saying I dont have a legit copy of windows 7

Is the gaming mouse/keyboard for $100 overkill?

Should I shop around other than newegg to save more money?

Is my 850 PSU overkill? I plan on running crossfire in a year or two..

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: $184.99 ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Memory: Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($101.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($202.95 @ Mac Connection)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ CompUSA)
Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X6 Wired Standard Keyboard ($47.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1848.82
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated 2012-01-04 12:14 EST-0500)
January 4, 2012 3:23:04 PM

I think you could trim the fat a bit on your RAM, i got 2x4GB sticks for like $45, and the mother board seems expensive, mine was around $150, but I have an AMD x4 and a MSI 6870 (yours will kick my butt)

Also look for a different case, New Egg has a thermalake i really like for $75 that fits everything nicely and has three case fans.

You can get a 60GB SSD from New Egg for less than half of what your paying for the 128GB methinks. I'd get that and put your favorite game and Windows 7 on it. The other drive will be fine for load times.

Great deal on the Power Supply!

Easy on the $100 for mouse and keyboard...I'd go with a nice mouse with lots of buttons, but the keyboard can be anything really...at least in my opinion.

Overall i think this could save you around $100, $150...

That video card is a beast though.
m
l
January 4, 2012 4:15:49 PM

Quote:
Easy on the $100 for mouse and keyboard...I'd go with a nice mouse with lots of buttons, but the keyboard can be anything really...at least in my opinion.

I completely agree there- not a fan of spending hundreds on peripherals.

Quote:
That video card is a beast though.

Totally agree, and EVGA is awesome - but at the same time the Radeon 7970s are not even a couple weeks away from dropping, and from the initial reviews I've been reading about the cards it looks like they'll blow everything else out of the water. :lol: 

Quote:
Should I shop around other than newegg to save more money?

You're not going to save money by going somewhere else. The thing about Amazon is that they don't sell PC parts directly - they source that out to other retailers, and most of the time those other sellers aren't that great at honoring RMA's, which is where Newegg excels over a lot of the competition. And a lot of the smaller retailers you're buying from - I would definitely question their legitimacy when it comes to supporting a defective product. It's one thing to sell a product, it's another thing to support it. You have to think of it in terms of time = money.

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE: I am going to overclock

You will need a good cooling system then, which is something I don't see listed. For the price I'd highly recommend this fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., or the EVGA M020 - both deliver performance equivalent to what a single 120mm closed block radiator (Corsair H80) would.

Alternately you could go with a closed block liquid loop like the Corsair H100.

Quote:
My buddy gave me a legit windows 7 iso disk that he downloaded and gets for free for being a student at a university, This will save me a $100 dollars but I fear I may wake up one day saying I dont have a legit copy of windows 7

Yeah - you have to be really careful with Windows licensing, same with Autodesk, Adobe CS, and everything else you can think of. If you don't have legit copies they will come after you.

Quote:
Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ CompUSA)

Not sure I'd go with that case since it's not that highly rated. For the price you can definitely do better - maybe the Cooler Master HAF 922, or the new Antec 1100, or even something like the Corsair Carbide or Fractal Design Arc MIDI.

Quote:
Memory: Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)

Don't get the Dominator - the large heat sinks will not allow you to install any aftermarket coolers you plan to buy, and if you're planning to overclock, this will certainly not be a good choice. This would be much better RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
Motherboard: $184.99 ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813157264

I'm not going to totally advise you against getting an Asrock board but at the same time I will say that they are a pretty mixed bag - either you'll get a great board or you'll get one that will fail on you after a short period. Asus and Gigabyte are the best, IMO. You should at least research a couple of different boards before buying. I'd suggest these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 4:16:10 PM

Windows won't care about your university copy. You are supposed to uninstall and buy your own when you leave college but they don't know/care.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... here is your RAM $50 bucks.

Other than that I wouldn't skimp out on anything else. You have a solid build.
m
l
January 4, 2012 5:17:06 PM

I would check with microcenter, they have CPU/Mobo bundles a lot of the time, could save you some extra $$ on the Mobo.
m
l
January 4, 2012 7:17:30 PM

Seconded, and Micro center has a better return policy than places like NewEgg, Amazon, etc, where you have to ship the items.

I'd much prefer to just drive it back myself while going out to get the milk.

I really like my AMD Phenom, if you are interested in those at all.
m
l
January 4, 2012 8:05:14 PM

Quote:
Seconded, and Micro center has a better return policy than places like NewEgg, Amazon, etc, where you have to ship the items.

I've never really had to pay for shipping when returning items to Newegg. Amazon - that all depends on who's selling the item as to what their return policy is, it could be really good with one seller, really horrible with the next.

Quote:

I too am running a Phenom II x6, and it's been a great CPU so far. I might go FX depending on what the next crop brings.

But for now you really can't beat the price/performance ratio of the Intel i5-2500K.
m
l
!