Sign in with
Your question

System booting and freezing problem

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2012 5:24:08 PM

I've been having this persistent problem for about 3-4 months now. Here's my rig off the bat:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor (1 yr old)
MOBO: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD (1 yr old)
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (1 yr old)
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply (2 months old)
GPU: EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB (2 years old)
Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K58W Black 0.8 mm SECC (2 months old)

The problem started about 4 months ago, some time after I installed Windows 7. The computer would freeze every once in a while when gaming. I didn't think much of it, *** happens. Then it got progressively worse. It got to the point that it would boot up and freeze after like 15-20 mins. Then soon, it would freeze as it was booting up. My first thought was maybe the 4 year old 550W PSU was dying/aging, so I bought a new one (& new case). I moved the computer into its new case with its new PSU and the problem persisted. At first it was able to boot and stay on for maybe 2-3 days, but it went through its progression and now its freezing as it boots up once again. I hadn't touched it for two weeks and when I booted it up today to the login screen and was typing in my password and it froze again. I rebooted it and it barely made it to the mobo screen. Tried to reboot and it wont start up. This is almost the exact same thing that happened before

When I press the power button, the fans runs and makes a sound like its accelerating for about a second and repeats this maybe a dozen times until the fan just runs at a normal speed. No power on the mouse/keyboard and definitely nothing on the monitor. At this point, I can't even boot to Bios.

My gut is telling me that the barely 1 year old mobo is dying, but I don't want to believe that -- the one before that died after only a year. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
January 4, 2012 7:00:21 PM

do you have access to another pc you can test parts on, this could be a ram issue, a motherboard issue, even a GPU issue. i suspect ram.. try booting without a gpu in and run monitor of the MOBO
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2012 7:03:39 PM

Try taking out one of the RAM sticks and if it still does it try taking out the other one.

Also, try putting the RAM in different slots than what it is currently in.

m
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 8:06:45 PM

Okay, so I just tried switching the RAM around. These were my results:

1) Moved the two sticks from 1 and 2 slot to the 3 and 4 slot = No boot
2) Put one stick in the 1st slot = Booted up, loaded CoD, never froze after about 20 mins of use
3) Put the other stick in the 1st slot = Booted up, loaded CoD, never froze after about 15 mins of use
4) Put RAM into the 1 and 2 slot = No boot
5) Put RAM in the 1 and 3 slot = Booted up
6) Put RAM in the 2 and 3 slot = Booted up
7) Put RAM back in the 1 and 2 slot = Booted up

Results are pretty inconsistent. I'm not sure what to do here. It's booted up as of now, but I'm hesitant to believe it will stay this way...
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2012 3:04:25 AM

Leave them where they are for the time being and report back if you have more instability.
m
l
!