Is it possible to SLI an Asus GTX 590 with a GTX 580??

G

i'm wondering if It's possible to SLI a 590 with a 580, because my motherboard is an ASRock p67 extreme4 motherboard and I'm not sure if it'll fit two 590s (they are very large video cards) As well as my case, which is a HAF 932, I'm not sure if that will fit them either.

So, I'm wondering if I can SLI a 590 with a 580... hmmm

adamsteenfeldt

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
That's an awesome question. I'd love to know the answer to that too.

My bet is that it would NOT work. SLI is very fussy and I've read that the 590 is not exactly the same as two 580s. That's why ASUS made that crazy monster called MARSII. They don't put it in their 590 section on their website. They claim it to be a true card with two full 580s. Please don't quote me on this though.

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yeeesss, you can, but it's a very iffy process, you gotta overclock and flash the GTX590 to do it, and then do a few driver hacks. So if you really wanna spend hours on end trying to get it working, sure. Easier to get 2 GTX590s.

I know this because my mate has tried... Maybe the MARSII will do that though, because it has two standard clock GTX580 GPUs in it, whereas the GTX590 has underclocked GTX580 GPUs in it.
If you don't know what you're doing, don't even try.

For all those who say "yes" You can't SLI to nVidia different GPUs even if they were in the same series. You can't SLi GTX 580 with GTX 570 and you can't SLI GTX 580 with GTX 480.

Only AMD allows Crossfiring 2 different GPUs but it must be within the same series, for ex : HD 6990 with HD 6970/50.

jeepster50

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

They are the same GPUs, a 590 has two GF 110 GPUs and the 580 has one 110 GPU!

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

absolutely correct. and im pretty sure you dont even have to downclock the 580 just stick them in sli and you will be running tri cf.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
straight from the website...

What Graphics card should I get?

If you're building an NVIDIA SLI-ready PC and starting with one graphics card now, with plans to add a second one later, you're probably worried about being able to find the EXACT same graphics card to make a matched pair. Fear no more! With NVIDIA's latest driver series, you guys can mix and match NVIDIA graphics card vendors, memory clocks and GPU core clocks - as long as the GPUs are the same. Here are some examples of what combinations would work, and some that would not:

EVGA GeForce 6600 with a BFG GeForce 6600 GT = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
ASUS GeForce 7800 GTX 512 with an MSI GeForce 7800 GTX 256 = WOULD NOT WORK (different GPU)
Leadtek GeForce 7800 GT with a PNY GeForce 7800 GT = WOULD WORK (Same GPUs)

Also, it's important to note that you don't need to have a motherboard from the same manufacturer of your graphics cards. For example, you could have an ASUS motherboard, paired with an XFX GeForce 7800 GT and a BFG GeForce 7800 GT. As long as they are all NVIDIA SLI-Certified parts, you're good to go!

With the flexibility of the most recent NVIDIA drivers, you don't have to worry about being able to find the EXACT same make and model of your existing SLI-ready graphics card when you upgrade to SLI - you just need to worry about finding the same model (same GPU). So if you buy a graphics card from XFX featuring a GeForce 7800 GT, you won't have to necessarily buy an XFX GeForce 7800 GT when you decide to upgrade - you can do so using ANY NVIDIA SLI-ready graphics card featuring a GeForce 7800 GT GPU.

Considering that and the examples...it is hard to say, but I would go with most likely not...

That only works with AMD, not with nVidia.
And the links you provided has nothing to do with the topic.