Display Tab in Desktop Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Splendid

As of today the Display tab in Desktop Properties no
longer works and so won't display wallpaper settings
etc. All the other tabs work fine.

I have restored Windows XP back a couple of days when I
know it did work but that has had no effect. I can't
find a Knowledge Base article that would seem to solve it
either. Has anyone any ideas on how I can fix this?
What file may be affected/corrupted etc.

Many Thanks

Hi Paul,

If the "desktop" tab in the Display Properties dialog box is missing, you may download and run this edit:

Restore desktop and screensaver tabs (line 128, right side)

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
http://www.mvps.org

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Paul" <paul@paulsworld.co.uk> wrote in message news:607301c492a9$9fa1b5c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> As of today the Display tab in Desktop Properties no
> longer works and so won't display wallpaper settings
> etc. All the other tabs work fine.
>
> I have restored Windows XP back a couple of days when I
> know it did work but that has had no effect. I can't
> find a Knowledge Base article that would seem to solve it
> either. Has anyone any ideas on how I can fix this?
> What file may be affected/corrupted etc.
>
> Many Thanks

Paul

Splendid

Thanks for that.

I should have said what was happening. The display tab
is still there and visible. When you click on the
Display tab there is no response - it doesn't even show
you the wallpaper options etc, the Display Properties
window just hangs and stops responding. However all the
other tabs work fine.

Hi Paul,

Do you have any third-party skinning/theme software installed ? If so, you may try to uninstall them and try again.
Nothing else comes to my mind at this time.

--

"Paul" <paul@paulsworld.co.uk> wrote in message news:013a01c492c4$7f33e810$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> Thanks for that.
>
> I should have said what was happening. The display tab
> is still there and visible. When you click on the
> Display tab there is no response - it doesn't even show
> you the wallpaper options etc, the Display Properties
> window just hangs and stops responding. However all the
> other tabs work fine.

TLSabados

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Kelly,

When I go to desktop (Win XP Home) and right click to get properties all the tabs work EXCEPT Desktop.
When I click on it, it just freezes and a "not responding" comes up.

I have tried to use the link for the reg file, #128 right side, but when I click on it only text comes up and no link to download it.

I restored the computer back 5 days when I knew it was working but that didn’t help.

Note: When this first happened in the Desktop box instead of showing the wallpaper pictures it briefly had a list of everything on my computer, My Documents, ........ then it froze.

Thanks in advance - Terri

dwightmccann

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I am having this same issue and have not found a solution, basically, the Desktop tab of the desk.cpl process, when clicked, simply hangs. The first symptom was that my desktop went to the XP theme from my preferred classic theme. It was in trying to switch back that I detected this hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts