Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cleared CMOS. Now, what settings do I use in BIOS?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 23, 2013 9:01:09 PM

I bought a new PC that I received about 6 weeks ago. In shipping, the CMOS battery had come loose. I pushed the battery back into place and made sure it was fully seated. I believe this cleared the CMOS. The computer came on, but Windows 8 wouldn't start. After researching, I found that I needed to change the storage configuration in BIOS/UEFI from IDE to AHCI. This seemed to fix the problem. After doing a system restore in Windows 8, everything seemed to work fine.

Everything was not fine, though. I am now having some issues and would like to know if there is a place I can go to get the BIOS/UEFI settings back to where they should be. I seem to have fixed the storage configuration, but I'm afraid there are some other settings that may have reverted to default settings that I need to correct.

ASRock H61M-HVGS motherboard
Windows 8 - 64bit
3rd generation i5 processor
Nvidia GTX 650 graphics card
500G HD

As you have probably gathered, I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to PCs. If there are other specifications that are needed to help me, please let me know how to find them and I'll post ASAP. If there is additional info I can provide in what system issues I'm having, please let me know.

Best solution

a c 468 V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 9:28:52 PM

make sure with the power off all the cards/ram/other parts/cables on your pc are seated.if the cmos battery was pop lose there could be other lose parts.

here a link to your mb guild in it has the cmos settings.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Manual&Model=...
page 38 turn on xmp profile.
page 44 primary video output. if your using the onboard mb video then set it to onboard.if you have a 3 party gpu set it to pci.
by default muilt monitor is turned on. (run two monitors in the system. one on the gpu the other with the ipgpu if your using one monitor turn this off).
page 45 onboard audio should be set to auto.
if using a hdmi cable to monitor can turn on hdmi audio option.
onboard lan should be set to enabled or auto.
page 52 fan settings
default is full on set it to automatic mode...cpu fan will then slow down when not loaded.
same for chaise fans. that right under the cpu fan setting.
every thing else in the bios should stay at the bios default settings. the only other option is boot setting screen if you want to see the boot screen and the time the mb waits at post for a cmos error or keyboard timeout.
February 23, 2013 9:49:13 PM

smorizio said:
make sure with the power off all the cards/ram/other parts/cables on your pc are seated.if the cmos battery was pop lose there could be other lose parts.

here a link to your mb guild in it has the cmos settings.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Manual&Model=...
page 38 turn on xmp profile.
page 44 primary video output. if your using the onboard mb video then set it to onboard.if you have a 3 party gpu set it to pci.
by default muilt monitor is turned on. (run two monitors in the system. one on the gpu the other with the ipgpu if your using one monitor turn this off).
page 45 onboard audio should be set to auto.
if using a hdmi cable to monitor can turn on hdmi audio option.
onboard lan should be set to enabled or auto.
page 52 fan settings
default is full on set it to automatic mode...cpu fan will then slow down when not loaded.
same for chaise fans. that right under the cpu fan setting.
every thing else in the bios should stay at the bios default settings. the only other option is boot setting screen if you want to see the boot screen and the time the mb waits at post for a cmos error or keyboard timeout.

Wow! Thank you for the speedy and thorough reply. I made a terrible error. My motherboard Model number is actually H61M-HVS. The owner's manual lists 2 model numbers on the cover (one with a "G" and one without) and I incorrectly posted the wrong model. If it's not too much trouble, can you let me know if the settings are the same for the H61M-HVS? I apologize if this causes extra work.

EDIT: I noticed that the options for XMP Profile are only: "Load XMP Setting
Use this to load XMP setting. Configuration options: [Auto], [Default], [Profile
1] and [Profile 2]. The default value is [Auto]." When you say to turn on xmp profile, do I simply make sure the "Load XMP Setting" is set to Auto?
m
l
Related resources
a c 468 V Motherboard
February 23, 2013 11:12:05 PM

run cpu-z with it set to auto..if the ram is running at it rated 1600 speed then dont change anything if it still running slow change it to profile one. the bios for both mb are the same.
m
l
February 24, 2013 8:57:00 PM

smorizio said:
run cpu-z with it set to auto..if the ram is running at it rated 1600 speed then dont change anything if it still running slow change it to profile one. the bios for both mb are the same.

Is there anything else I should know before embarking on this adventure and changing the settings to your recommendations? I'm a little apprehensive to go into the BIOS with my limited knowledge, so is there anything that I can do in the BIOS that can't be reversed? I guess my question is that if I toggle a setting incorrectly and I can't access Windows 8, can I still get in to the BIOS and change everything back to default so that I can access Windows again?

Does changing the BIOS settings void any manufacturer warranty?
m
l
a c 468 V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 3:56:04 AM

all mb bios have a factory default button. all you do if you make an error is reset it back. the only settings you dont want to tuch in the bios is anything to to with voltage settings. you can void your warranty if you change the ram speed.
m
l
February 26, 2013 8:17:53 PM

Best answer selected by mjktoolband.
m
l
!