Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I7-3930k Workstation Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 4, 2012 6:38:19 PM

Case- Corsair Obsidian 650D
PSU - Corsair HX850
MOBO - Asus P9X79 Deluxe
CPU - i7-3930k
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb) Quad Channel DDR3 1600
Corsair H80

This is a system I'm thinking about building for the 3D modeling/rendering work I do. Want to build a solid workstation as the majority of software I use will consume every part of the system is has available to it. The MOBO is a bit more than I was looking to spend, but there are not a bunch of options at the moment for 2011 sockets that have the specs I want. Otherwise I like everything else. Any comments or advice?
thanks
January 4, 2012 7:00:46 PM

Those are some pretty solid components. What case are you looking to use?

The thing about X79 is that workstations will benefit from the CPU and chipset more than games or anything else will. There will eventually be dedicated boards for workstation builds but for now the Asus board you've chosen is probably one of the best on the market for X79.

If you're going to use an aftermarket GPU you definitely want to go with a professional one. The ATI Fire Pro has some pretty amazing variants, and the NVIDIA Quaddros are great but they're vastly more expensive if you want to get anything decent.
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 7:16:21 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that is the case....Looks good, has great interior options, (can move a bank of hard drive bays is needed to the bottom) plus other nice options.

Yeah this is NOT a gaming machine. So sticking with a NVIDIA quadro card is best in the GPU. The 5000 is nice, but really climbs the cost ladder pretty quick. so the 4000 seems like a good mid range price quadro to get serious performance with decent price.

I think that power supple will be good. I tend to run 4 hard drives (may add more as the case and MOBO certainly offer more). I don't want to waste money, but want to make sure I have plenty of power for pushed everything.

Like I said, anything I should reconsider just let me know.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 4, 2012 8:23:59 PM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139006
that is the case....Looks good, has great interior options, (can move a bank of hard drive bays is needed to the bottom) plus other nice options.


Corsair makes some awesome cases (I own the Graphite 600T) but they can be quite big and heavy to transport if you need to do so. If that's the case you might want to consider the smaller Carbide, but that should be fine for what you need it to do.

Quote:
Yeah this is NOT a gaming machine. So sticking with a NVIDIA quadro card is best in the GPU. The 5000 is nice, but really climbs the cost ladder pretty quick. so the 4000 seems like a good mid range price quadro to get serious performance with decent price.


The Quaddros are great but expensive. I really like the ATI Fire Pro series - the V7900 is a great cost / performance ratio and it will handle up to four monitors using adapters without breaking a sweat: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
I think that power supple will be good. I tend to run 4 hard drives (may add more as the case and MOBO certainly offer more). I don't want to waste money, but want to make sure I have plenty of power for pushed everything.


HDs take the least amount of power consumption in a system - most PSUs will be able to handle up to 10 drives per system. You might want to heavily consider a good SSD for your boot drive and then store everything (programs, documents, etc) on your second and third HDs.

An 850 PSU will able to handle that system easily. The Corsairs are some of the most reliable, but anything made by Seasonic is always a good bet too - if you need to run multiple drives and that sort of thing you might want to consider a more energy efficient PSU (Gold or Platinum rated) than a PSU with a higher wattage.
m
0
l
January 5, 2012 2:47:56 AM

thanks guys. Yeah that's the way I set up my drives already. 1st drive is OS and software only. 2nd drive are working files, pictures, typical stuff. 3rd drive is internal backup of 2nd. 4th drive is a landing drive for renders. Folders of tons of sequenced images and rendered out video from those images. I'd like to add another that is an internal backup of that like the 2nd/3rd set up. I have external back ups of everything so it's not as though it's not backed up at all. Anyway thanks again for the advice.
m
0
l
May 23, 2012 6:57:22 PM

futura65 said:
thanks guys. Yeah that's the way I set up my drives already. 1st drive is OS and software only. 2nd drive are working files, pictures, typical stuff. 3rd drive is internal backup of 2nd. 4th drive is a landing drive for renders. Folders of tons of sequenced images and rendered out video from those images. I'd like to add another that is an internal backup of that like the 2nd/3rd set up. I have external back ups of everything so it's not as though it's not backed up at all. Anyway thanks again for the advice.



So did you build the machine? I'm thinking about buying a new worsktation for modeling, rendering, etc. too. Would you reccomend a similiar workstation or would you make any changes? i only use 1 ssd though.

thanks!
m
0
l
!