What temperature should my hardware run at?

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I've been having some random shutdowns etc. recently, I think one of my fans is busted. I have been using SpeedFan to track my computer's temperatures of a range of components...

My GPU and CPU both idle at 50 degrees C.

Is this OK? Do you think this is causing the random shutdowns (always in games) - by random shutdowns, the computer just turns off instantly like the powers gone out, then about 3 seconds later, turns itself back on. I also have doubts about my power supply unit, What do you think is causing the problem?

Regards,
Darkedge.

It sounds like your Power Supply.

You should also have a fan at the bottom-front of the case and at the top-rear, in addition to the CPU fan. (case fans need not be loud. 16dB is a good noise level)

You should run MEMTEST as well. www.memtest.org OR www.ultimatebootcd.com

Sounds like you have two problems, one major and one semi-major.

That is a classic symptom of inadequate power. You are playing a game, the 12 volt output drops out of tolerance, and you lose the "PowerGood" signal from the PSU. This forces an automatic hardware reset and the PSU load drops. The 12 volt output goes back into tolerance, the "PowerGood" signal goes active again, and the system reboots.

What kind of system do you have?

Idle temps:
GPU idle temps are a little high, but not too bad. GPU's usually run hotter than CPU's.

Generally, CPU idle temps should not be more than 10 C above ambient temps.

You should be able to fix the problem by replacing the broken fan. You can also clean out your case and remove and replace the thermal compound on the CPU. If your computer is in an area with restricted airflow, moving it may also help.

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hey guys

Thanks for the tips.

I thought I might clarify a few things, first of all my hardware is not over clocked.
Secondly, this may be a bit confusing.. BUT here goes: I originally had a gts 250 in my build, which I made the horrible mistake buying premise from someone that couldn't remember to do basic things, this is the restarts started happening, contacting them, them being very ignorant, and thinking it was a software problem (I had ordered two computers with the same specs), anyway I scout around one fan not installed and the ram was faulty (idiots), I went into my own pocket to replace the RAM and missing fan. anyway, my cousin comes down to visit me, he just happened to work as a technician, and the random restarts still happening, we look into it and find a fauty fan (meaning I have basically no case fans). We go to the local computer store and buy a new fan and graphics card because the gets 250 was getting old, anyway, as this was going on, one of my friends was building a new rig, being the kind person I am I lend him my 250. No problems what so ever, meaning my old GPU was fine, here's the twist, after getting my NEW card the problem goes away, it is a ati 6850, long story short, I ruined the card, and was fored to go back to the 250, problems start again. but the 250 was fine. My GPU is above my PSU in my case, is it possible that because of the 6850's massive fan it kept the PSU cool?

Any further possible answers would be useful.

Regards,
Darkedge.

D4rkedge

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Hi jsc,

Is there some cheap possibly even free way I could check to see that it is the power good signal being dropped?

Thanks all,
Dark edge.

Deeks

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I would suggest using another PSU you from another computer or if you have a old one kicking around and see if you have the same problems using the alternate psu. That should confirm it is your PSU your not.