Geforce7900, power supply & Dell Optiplex

gouvrit

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
hi

I don't know much, so here are the facts, and after my questions if anyone can help.

I recently got an old optiplex 745 for a $100 from my university. it came with an ATI radeon 9200 64mb. no manual, so i am not sure what mobo it has.

I wanted to install a geforce 7900 256mb that I got for free, since it seems a little better. It recognized it and it's running but I had a window saying I should plug the power cable. there is a 6 pin flat

the video card box says the requirement are 400w and the card need a direct cable. the optiplex has a 305w power supply.

According to what I read if there is no cable, the card performs accordingly to the 15 or 20w that it gets from the PCI-e, and if I had it connected it would get 75w. and I see the 6 pin connector.

I don't know much, so after the obvious I am lost!

1) I don't know what kind of cable I need! does it go to the motherboard or the power supply. there is a couple unused cables/plugs coming from the power supply, one 5 pin (for another hdd) and one 4-pin (like for diskette drive). Is there some kind of adapter from one of those?

2) is 305w enough? It only has one optical drive and one 7200 hdd. so I guess its not using all the power.

3) do I have to get a 400w power supply. how do I know if the mobo supports it? CPU was $75 so I dont want to spend $50 in a power supply. If I do have to get one, any recommendation?

or should I just go back to the original radeon 9200 64mb?

thanks!
Flo

Solution
O, and the psu could be enough, Dell psu are quite good, but it will be close. Pitty you didn't get a hd6670, this would run without extra cable and doesnt use that much power.

gouvrit

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
thanks, I bought the molex cable but I couldn't see where to connect on the PSU. It has the 6 pin for video card on one side and a male 4 pin in the other, so I wonder if I have to get a male-male coupler to connect the molex to one the unused HDD 4-pins cables coming from the PSU.

eehhmmmm…. I know the computer is old, that is why it cost $75, and with what it has (maybe a couple more gigs of RAM) it can run the same programs I was running on WinXP 4 years ago (3d modeling, graphics, video, augmented reality) I have been working with this for 10 years, and you would be surprised for most things you don't need a $2000 computer, so I am not getting a 500 game build...
I also have an imac with dual boot (win & macOS), but it's easier to have to computers running with both OS than having to reboot and do everything in one.