Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Crashes when RAM at stock speeds

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Computers
Last response: in Memory
Share
February 24, 2013 4:24:31 AM

I recently just got a new build up and running. Had a lot of issues at first and I had finally narrowed the possibilities down to my RAM. I randomly decided to set my RAM speeds back to auto in my BIOS and it fixed all my issues with my computer. I'm very happy that my computer is running great, although, I'm a little disappointed that my RAM wont run at stock speeds. The RAM I have is 2 pairs (16GB) of Patriot Division 2, Viper Extreme 2400MHz. From what I've gathered, running it at 2400MHz is technically an OC to my mobo, an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z. But it seems I shouldn't be having any issues running it at those speeds. For reference, I even upped the voltage by 0.01 (1.66v total) as I heard sometimes an extra pair needs the slight boost in voltage. At both voltage levels and stock timings, my computer received crashes.

Anyways, does anyone have experience with these issues? Are there any solutions I haven't ran across that could get my computer running at stock speeds? Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

More about : computer crashes ram stock speeds

February 24, 2013 5:21:52 AM

Running ram at 2400mhz is an overclock for any motherboard. When OCing ram you have to consider both the latency and the clock speed. Your ram for instance is certified to run at 2400 MHz using 1.65v and latency settings of 11-11-11-30. Try entering those settings and see what happens. Also be aware, I am not familiar with your motherboard but by raising the clock speed on your ram you may also be raising the clock speed on your CPU and you might have to lower your CPU multiplier to compensate.

Good luck
m
0
l
a c 92 } Memory
February 24, 2013 5:30:03 AM

also with new mb make sure you have the newest bios installed. it have the newest cpu and ram code and bug fixes.
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 3:25:18 PM

smorizio said:
also with new mb make sure you have the newest bios installed. it have the newest cpu and ram code and bug fixes.


Thanks, I already installed the newest BIOS when first building it. The function of these ROG boards are endless! I actually upgraded the BIOS before I even had all the parts to get it up and running :) 
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 3:30:52 PM

BriboCN said:
Running ram at 2400mhz is an overclock for any motherboard. When OCing ram you have to consider both the latency and the clock speed. Your ram for instance is certified to run at 2400 MHz using 1.65v and latency settings of 11-11-11-30. Try entering those settings and see what happens. Also be aware, I am not familiar with your motherboard but by raising the clock speed on your ram you may also be raising the clock speed on your CPU and you might have to lower your CPU multiplier to compensate.

Good luck


Those are the exact timings and voltage I did set the board to, and 1.66v to compensate for 4 DIMM's. ALthough it still gave me crashes. I wonder what if the other timings had anything to do with it. I have an eufi BIOS on an ROG board, and it has about 6 other timing controls that I have no idea what they do. I've read a little bit about how OC RAM may directly effect the CPU as well. But when I manually set the RAM timings and speed, the CPU was still running at only 3.5GHz (Stock) and staying at normal temps.

Well I built this rig to finally get into OCing. Just wanted to run it for a few months at all stock speeds before I get into it. It'll be awhile until I have all the liquid cooling components anyways. But maybe this is an exuse to finally start researched OCing :) 
m
0
l
a c 92 } Memory
February 24, 2013 4:42:38 PM

make sure with the asus bios it running in standard mode..when you run the asus mb in performace mode it changes the cpu to ram timing that can cause issues.
m
0
l
February 24, 2013 6:22:20 PM

smorizio said:
make sure with the asus bios it running in standard mode..when you run the asus mb in performace mode it changes the cpu to ram timing that can cause issues.


Thanks, I'll double check that and let you know how that goes.
m
0
l
!