• Prebuilt
  • Computer
  • Dimension
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2012 12:12:50 AM

This might seem like a dumb question, but here goes:

I have a Dell Dimension 9100 desktop computer (6 year old, from 2005).
I would like to upgrade it to an i7 processor, and am wondering if it at all possible to do this by just buying a new motherboard/processor and using the same case and if possible the same power supply.

My computer expertise is only superficial, so I would appreciate any input.

Thank you.

More about : dimension 9100 motherboard upgrade

a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 12:19:02 AM

Depending on what your budget is.... you may want to just start from scratch - you may be pleasantly surprised at how good a computer you can build yourself.
-Bruce
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2012 12:21:18 AM

You will need a whole new machine.
m
l
January 5, 2012 8:37:47 PM

Budget wise I am looking for a motherboard + processor bundle something below 400-500$. is there any specific motherboard that I can buy with a i5 or i7 processor that can easily fit inside the Dimension 9100 case; and more importantly also use the stock power supply that came with the Dimension 9100? (Not concerned about video cards as of now).
Again, I am interested in building something myself, but am not very literate in these fields. Would appreciate any help.
Based on the previous reply, it looks like this is impossible, is this right?
Thanks
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2012 3:50:42 PM

A standard motherboard will not fit in a dell case... and using a old PSU would not be wise.
m
l
January 8, 2012 3:44:40 AM

Malinas, building yourself a new computer is very easy. Just take the time to do some research to make sure your components are all compatible, and build away. If you get confused about something, youtube a tutorial, or ask for help on the forums. Patience is the only thing that is hard about building a new computer if you never did it before. It gets easier the more you do it though.
m
l
!