Did I fry more than my Motherboard?

darksy

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
So I had problems booting my computer last night, not for the first time mind you, my PC kept on getting stuck in the boot menu or sometimes it wouldn't even get past the motherboard logo. With stuck I really mean stuck, I waited 15 minutes in both instances for the computer to do something, thinking maybe it will at least spit out an error message or something, no reaction.

So I deduced that since the PC was freezing before I could actually boot it might well be a motherboard problem, would also explain my Windows 8 blue screen's having a different error message every time. So I flip the I/O switch on the PSU, take out the power cord, press the on button at the front of the computer a couple times to try and get rid of any stored current and change the motherboard battery.
After reconnecting everything I try to turn on my computer and nothing happens, after checking all the obvious reasons like PSU I/O switch I try reverting back to the old battery, since the computer at least booted with that one, still no reaction. So now that I could declare the computer officially dead, I used a multimeter to check the PSU and everything seemed fine.

So here is the question: Did I just fry my Motherboard or also my CPU and how would I find out? Or will I really have to resort to buying a new MB and then testing the CPU? I live in Germany and trusting a local IT shop around here to do the testing,at least in my experience, is throwing money out of the window.

Also looking for a replacement in the price range of 40-80€, currently have my eyes on the Asrock 970 Extreme3, open to suggestions. This is the 3rd Asus MB that has fried in 3 years so I am definitely changing manufacturer.

Motherboard: Asus M4A77T USB3, CPU: Phenom X4 965.

Thanks for you time :)

I would test the board using the breadboard method before declaring it dead. It only takes a few minutes if you haven't tried it yet. I would also rma the board if you can; you can sell the replacement to pay for a new one.