Best Gaming Monitor?

Aiid0z

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

I will be building a PC some time between now and the end of the year and i am not sure of the right gaming monitor to choose.

I will be gaming in 1080p, playing games such as MW3, Battlefield 3. I am looking for about 23", 2ms response time and HDMI.

Anything with the $200 AUD price range will be great, but i will allow for a bit more/less.

This is the system that i hope to be building:

mobo - Asus p8z68-v pro
cpu - i7 2600k
ram - g.skill 8GB 1600mhz
video card - Asus gtx 570 dcii
case - Corsair carbide 500r

I have seen a lot of good reviews for the Asus monitors such as the Asus VH238H. But i would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
The Samsung Syncmaster P2770 is the best gaming screen I have ever had though it is more than you want to spend. The reason I say this is because this screen will operate at just about any resolution. For older games that run in the 4:3 format this is a must have. I can run Warcraft 3 for instance at 1280 x 1024 and it just pops the game up and away I go. Other screens would simply try and stretch the game with no regard for the aspect ratio making the game look bad. A screen that can accommodate a wide selection of resolutions at 16:9 or 4:3 depending on the games programming is the best screen to have for a gamer.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Regularly use couple of different systems which both have the vh238h. For the money (Sub $200 range) I say it's an ok buy. MSY have it for $168 at the moment (but out of stock)

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7968

What you've got to be realistic about is what you're expecting for that sort of money... and no it doesn't look as good as a $300+ Samsung or $400+ Dell.

But if you compare it to a couple of LG screens I've seen in that $ range or the BenQ G2420HD (which is another really common screen) I'd choose the Asus.

You've got the right idea looking for 2ms (but remember not all 2ms screens are created equal). I don't think you'll get a 120hz for anywhere near $200. If you're vsyncing at 60fps on a 60hz screen should look nice and smooth.

Aiid0z

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks guys for all your help.

Would it be worth spending a little bit extra for the Samsung? Ive heard they have bad quality and the back light bleeds quite easily. Im not sure though, they seem fine and look very nice.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
My Samsung has been awesome. I reckon you are better off spending a bit more because then you get the versatility. If you are worried about the brand check out other brands with similar features.

I did some more research and it is hard to pin down exactly what the technology behind it is. As I said the Samsung I have is just as happy displaying older games in 4:3 1280 x 1040 as it is displaying more modern games in 1920 x 1080. Any other monitor I use just stretches the game.