CPU not working

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I have an old computer that is lga775 and has a core 2 duo in it but it has only 2 ram slots, I also have a computer that has an old Pentium processor that is also lga 775 (4 dimm slots) on asus's website it says that it supports my core 2 duo and I have the latest bios but when I turn on the computer I get a black screen, when I throw in my p4 it works fine.
any ideas why it might not work?

dead cpu's can be diagnosed by turning off the pc at the wall. turn on the monitor and wait for no signal. then hit the power on the pc as soon as you see the on screen message. if the monitor immediately goes into standby then the cpu is either dead or not getting power.
if the screen goes black but stays on then your cpu is likely fine its just not being read properly by the motherboard... you can try to clear out the cmos and reboot.
hopefully the pc will then come on if not then update the bios with the old cpu and then replace it with the new, and hope for the best. dont forget 1s you do manage to get it to boot, that you need to go into bios and load optomized defaults....

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

The CPU isn't dead It's the motherboard bring a bitch