Sign in with
Your question

$1500 gaming rig first build

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2012 12:56:36 AM

I am brand new to the PC building world, and have been doing some research. Honestly, I am rather overwhelmed with the wealth of information out there, and any suggestions as to where to start would be extremely helpful. I am looking to get the best gaming rig I can for $1,500. If anyone has a recent build they've done for $1,500, I don't have a problem just copying a build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: $1,500 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: Peripherals and OS (need system only)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or Microcenter

Parts Preferences: Likely would prefer i5-2500k with Z68 MB based on what I've read so far. I am also intrigued by the upcoming Radeon HD 7970 but am flexible in the GPU department.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (single card ok to start)

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Additional Comments: I would prefer something fairly quiet.

I know a $1,500 budget will likely result in overkill at a 1920 x 1200 resolution for current gaming titles, but I want a build that I'll be able to use for as long as possible before updating.

Also, I would probably prefer to start with a single GPU and upgrade to crossfire or SLI at a later date as my budget allows, so I know I need to consider that for power consumption.

I know that's not a lot to go on, but any suggestions for builds or for where a newb can do some more research would be extremely helpful.

More about : 1500 gaming rig build

January 5, 2012 2:45:27 AM

i7-3820
X79 Asrock Extreme3
G.Skill 4x4GB 1600 CAS 9
Seagate 500gb
Corsair M4 128gb
850w 80+ single 12v rail, 2x6pin 2x6+2 or 8 pin
CM 690 II Advanced
Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
Dell 2412m IPS 1920x1200

If you're looking to maximize the life cycle of your pc look towards LGA2011. While there is a premium in initial build cost your budget allows for it. Keep in mind the i7-3820 has not yet shipped, but if you're waiting for the 7970 anyways it should be available in that same time frame.

HDD prices are really through the roof right now. You can always add more storage down the road when the prices normalize again.

The Crucial M4 is one of the best SSDs on the market today and 128GB gives you enough room to install Win7 and quite a few games. If this pushes your budget over you can always opt for the 64GB version, just keep in mind at that point you're really only going to get 2-3 games loaded on it.

As far as PSUs are concerned. Just stick with a solid brand name. Don't try to cut corners here as it's the one piece of the machine that supplies the rest of the rig with good clean power. If a psu goes it can take everything else with it. Corsair, Antec, ABS, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone and Seasonic are brands that typically create quality across the board. Other brands are hit and miss so if you veer from the above manufacturers make sure you do extra research on the particular model. JonnyGuru and hardwaresecrets are both very reputable sites to do this type of research.

Cases are very personal choices for each and every buyer. Style is subjective and nobody can tell you what you'll like. With that being said there are particular vendors that seem to make higher quality cases than others: Antec, Corsair, Lian Li, Silverstone, Cooler Master. Again, if you veer outside these suggestions just make sure and do your homework. The two major aspects you need to determine for any case is if they'll hold your video card and your heatsink fan. This can sometimes be difficult to determine especially if you go with a micro or midtower case. Be vigilant with google.

Good luck.
m
l
January 5, 2012 3:30:56 AM

a4mula said:

+ 1 WOOT WOOT
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2012 9:58:44 PM

Awesome, thanks a4mula. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll start from that.

I do have one question. If I want the option to potentially get another 7970 at a later date and go Crossfire, will I need a more beefy power supply or is 850W sufficient?

Much thanks.
m
l
January 5, 2012 10:04:16 PM

If your not going to OC it should be fine but if you are I would go for something like:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...

It really depends.. people are saying that the performance to power consumption for this GPU is very good, but until the official benchmarks are released I would hold off. Or just be safer than sorry and get a beefy PSU. imo.

Plus if you do get a PSU like this one (from neweeg) you will be able to OC like crazy at your own will and wont have to worry about the PSU at all.
m
l
!