CPU overheating/unstable?

fengpwns

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Hi. Few days ago, I got my new RMA'd cpu from newegg. My first thought, CPU looks the same as the old one I RMA'd to newegg. The CPU has rough lines on the 4sides. They might be burnt marks but they don't look burnt to me. I installed it to my computer, sadly the AMD fan doesn't work. I went back to my old fan and apply some of my artic cooling mx-4 thermal paste. Then I ran prime95 blend test for about 6hours. No erros were found. The CPU temp was about 55C-58C. I was quite happy with that. After that, I ran prime95 small FTTs test for 3hours and I got no errors. Still pretty happy. Then the next day...I turned on my computer and keep getting BSOD. I knew it's my CPU's fault. I look at the core's temp before it gets BSOD. It was somewhere between 24C-30C. I took off my heatsink and reapply thermal paste. Everything went back to normal. Did I misplace the heatsink or does this CPU have major instability problems? Does my motherboard hates the revision of the AMD athlon ii x3 series? Will this problem occur in the next 2days? I'm currently running prime95 Large FTTs for about 20minutes now, no errors so far...

I have a M2N-78(violet) motherboard, HP pavilion case, a coolmaster fan(maybe worth $9?),6GB of DDR2 RAM,450PSU and a 500gb WD HDD.I used to have an AMD athlon II x4 620 as my CPU.

make sure you load optomized defaults when you replace any cpu... not doing so will lead to instability and possible damage to your cpu/system...
also make sure hpet is enabled or you will get random bsods... it has to match the bitrate of your o.s if you use vista or win 7... its not used by xp...
other than that all you can do is check your event logs. if you get error 41 it means your cpu has lost power and cause a shut down(normally you see this after pressing reset). if you get error 124 then you cpu needs more power to stay stable and is normally cause by having a to aggressive vdroop control set.... (if you see this error in the logs and no following error 41 then you have a voltage stability problem)

fengpwns

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

The idle temp is 21-24C. Full load with prime95 large FTTs is 55-59C. At first, I thought my motherboard doesn't support it. Then I upgrade the BIOS and it works. The max TDP is 95watt.

fengpwns

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Sorry to ask you, but how do I check if hpet is enable? How do I check eventlogs? So sorry for these newbie questions.

fengpwns

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Thanks, I went on view log and check. It was error 41. Is there anyway to fix this? I'm still running prime95 and it's been 3hours. I still havent check if hpet is enable or disable.