2500k stock cooled runs very hot

zspacekcc

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I'm not sure if this is normal or if there's actually a problem with my cooler/CPU.
I just built my computer about a week ago, so there's no dust inside. my 2500k idles on stock cooling around 35-40C (depending on the core). It's not overclocked, but Turbo is turned on.
Under game load (minecraft, tf2 and Skyrim) it caps off at about 55-58 (sometimes spikes to 60 in skyrim).
I've been trying to test everything with Prime 95, but I can't run it for more then 60 seconds or so, because after that, all 4 cores are in the 70-75C range (and still climbing). I've already checked to make sure the cooler is seated correctly (white tabs through the back, with a black pin the the middle), so that shouldn't be an issue.
The main reason why I'm worried is it's only 12-15C in my house currently, but it can get up to 35C+ during the summer (and I don't have AC) and I don't want to damage the processor.
Is this normal for stock cooling? I used my old AMD stock cooler for years, and even under prime95 it never got above 65C(given all the same conditions). Would a after market cooler be enough to bring it into the low 50's under load?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

1. Your house is like 55? What..?
2. The stock cooler is not the best cooler around, but it does seem a bit hot considered it's at stock speeds.
3. First thing to try is to get it more ventilation, open up your case and see if it lowers temps. (you can put a fan too)

The stock cooler should be sufficient for a non-overclocked chip, so try more air first.

zspacekcc

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I have an Antec 900. It's got 3 120mm and 1 200mm. Honestly I think that should be more then enough airflow to keep it cool.
As far as the house temp, it's as warm as it is outside, as the heat is off and the windows are open. Even if you figure the structure traps heat, it can't be more then 60F in here.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Well not that this would be the problem in your case but I have two guys with identical builds (I know 'cause I built them) only one has 1600 ram and the other 1333. The guy with the 1600 runs much higher temps than the one with the slower ram. I don't know if that's why intel spec's the 2500 to 1333 or not. Beyond that I don't know what it means.
But I'd like to find out myself.

bassejepsen

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Well, when your RAM runs faster, your memory controller generates more heat, and for 2500k, that is inside the CPU.

excuse my bad English, hope it makes sens :)

Would still think that the standard cooling should be enough.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Yes that makes sense. What I was wondering is if it raised it that much? Maybe an after market cooler is required.