Best Motherboard?

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Im looking to build a system with a 3570k processor, gt430 gpu (soon to upgrade), 8gb of 1600mhz ram, an SSD and a 10000rpm HDD mounted in a zalman Z9 case. Could anyone recommend the best motherboard that will fully support the components that wont cost a bomb as im already past my budget..id prefer to spend around £50 but will probably have to pay more and will if i have to,
Thanks in advance

Buy the cheapest Z77 based motherboard that you can find. You are buying a "K" suffix cpu so you can overclock, and a Z77 chipset will be necessary. I think your budget of 50# will not do it, more like80# will be required.

Then buy a cheaper non "K" cpu.
But, consider that a 5% price premium for a "K" can give you a 25% boost in cpu power with a conservative oc to 4.3 or so. That is what the "K" is intended to do if you use an aftermarket cooler. The option can transform your cpu into a 4 year product.

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

What do you mean by 'the option can transfer your CPU into a 4 year product'?

When haswell is launched next summer, it will give you a 15% improvement in price performance.
That is not a sufficient motivator for the owner of a 3570K with a 4.3 OC to want to change.
A change to haswell will entail a motherboard change too.
Past that, who knows what broadwell will bring.

Today, it seems that few feel constrained with a OC'ed 3570K for gaming.
The limitations are more in the graphics card area, and that is easy to change.

What I mean, is, that a 3570K when overclocked will be a very good gaming cpu for perhaps 4 years.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I totally agree with geofelt - basically, if you get the 'k' version, you are essentially investing in your future needs - because while you might have no interest in overclocking today, you might (and probably will) in the near future. So, by running your CPU at, say, 4.2Ghz (very, very easily and efficiently attained with a 3570k) you're basically ensuring that your investment will be a good one.

marc_moose

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Ah right okay guys thanks a lot, what are your opinions of the asrock z77 pro 3 mobo? It seems the best that I've managed to find so far without breaking my bank

Asrock is good.

You might check on M-ATX motherboards too; they are usually less expensive. They only have 4 expansion slots vs. 7 in a full ATX motherboard.
For most of us, the only expansion slot is a X16 pci-e slot for a discrete graphics card. All Z77 motherboards will have at least one.