Upgrading Older Antec 900 to USB 3.0

G

Community,

I see that the newer Antec 900 cases have USB 3.0 on the front top ports. I would like to upgrade from my current 2.0 ports. What would I need to accomplish this?

Solution

I'm a little late to this thread, but what you're looking for looks like this: http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-spare_parts/nine-hundred-port-assembly/0-761345-30331-6.aspx...

In addition to the motherboard, you'd have to pick up a USB 3.0 card reader or Just a USB 3.0 bay device. If you use choose the bay device, just be aware many newer motherboards only have one USB 3.0 header and you will need one header for every two USB front panel ports. Here's an example:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380402

You can only benefit from USB 3.0 if you have USB 3 compatible external devices (external hard drive or thumb drive), since a USB 2.0 external drive will work at USB 2.0 speeds on a 3.0 port. If you need to add 3.0 ports it may be easier to install a PCI-express USB 3.0 card.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
just get a pcie usb 3.0 or something similar, and save your cash but if you really want to get the new 3.0 case go for it and just buy a newer motherboard, I mean it's your money after all but I do advice to just buy off those things and add it to your system.

G

I have a Mobo that has USB 3.0, but it seems to be commonplace that these usb 3.0 drives come with these dinky 1' cables and I would like to conveniently set the drive on the top of the case and plug in the drives. I really do not have any reason to have so many usb ports on the front to justify adding a hub. I'm not sure yet how the front top usb ports are secured but if it's just 2 screws for each usb port do they sell like a usb harness, etc that just has 2 usb 3.0 ports that has a small metal bracket that can be secured into the old screw holes?

mganderup

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I'm a little late to this thread, but what you're looking for looks like this: http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-spare_parts/nine-hundred-port-assembly/0-761345-30331-6.aspx

Except I emailed Antec customer support and they said they don't currently have front port assemblies for the 900 case with USB 3.0. But they said check back in July. Newegg must be modding the cases themselves. I'd suggest contacting Antec customer support; if they get enough people asking about it maybe they'll hurry up and make them available.

Solution

tsheetz

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I have the same problem. All of my drives are USB 3.0. My Antec 900 case is a few years old but it is like new. I would like to change the front ports from USB 2.0 to USB 3.0. The link mganderup posted is exactly what I need except the usb 3.0.

antec support

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Hi, The original 900 was USB 2.0, we then did a running change to USB 3.0.

To upgrade any case, you cannot simply replace the ports. The cable leading from the front ports of the case to the MB must also be of USB 3.0 type. The spare part we are offering includes the cable.

beekermartin

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008

I currently have a Nine Hundred TWO V3. I would like to upgrade the front ports to usb 3.0. I see on Antec's site that they sell a part to do so but it says unavailable. Is there still a way to get it?