AMD Phenom II 970 X4 - Is it running a bit too hot?

Kuzri

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

Last December, I successfully constructed my first low-mid range gaming PC, employing the AMD Phenom II 970 X4 3.5 GHz (stock speeds). Until recently, the CPU temperatures were never an issue.

However, I recently began playing SW:TOR again, and have noticed that over the course of my gaming sessions the CPU fan ramps up its speed periodically, resulting in a rather loud fan noise I've never experienced hitherto. I checked the temps, and immediately noticed that my CPUs were idling around 37-40, and even grew as high as 53-54 during gaming, the latter coinciding with the increase in fan-noise. I vividly recall my CPU idling in the low 30s and capping in the mid-40s during INTENSE GAMING; why is this happening?

I've been using the stock fan since December, experiencing no trouble until now. Do you think it's a problem with the CPU itself, or is it merely time for the stock fan to be replaced?

Thanks.

Kuzri

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Actually, I haven't cleaned my system once since it was built; I'll do just that, and report back! :p

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
possible reason is that last december was winter so your computer ran cooler. Now its april so it should be expected to run a little hotter. I dont think its the Cpu. I have a 980 be with a cooler master hyper tx3 in a haf 912 case and i idle at around 30

Kuzri

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Interesting, I never entertained that.

Is 53-54 while gaming actually unsafe and potentially damaging to my CPU and computer as a whole? Or is it manageable, but nevertheless preferable that I decrease the temps?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

thats a little high but not enough to damage your cpu. Its nothing that a good cpu cooler and good air flow cant fix. I get around mid 40's max when playing games.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Take this time to do a damn good spring clean, get some compressed air, take the old box outside and go nuts, just be careful, spray away but don't hold the stream over the fans causing them to spin too fast and screw them up.

Treat your computer to a make over when it's done - reseat the CPU with new goo, after cleaning the old stuff with isopropyl alcohol and clean up the cables using some cable ties, cheap as chips, but well worth it as cables can also distrupt air flow in your case.

Uther39

Distinguished

What pc case do you use, do you have dust filters what are your ambient room temps?

The maximum safe temperature is 62c for Phenom II. Actually, 70 would probably be fine in the short term.

40 is the typical idle temperature.

Under load my CPU can hit mid-high 50s, that is perfectly normal, even at stock speeds with the stock fan.

You said your temp originally was around 30 at idle originally. I would ask what program you're using to monitor the temp, because 30 celsius translates to 86 Fahrenheit, thats not hot. Either your memory is off, or the program is, no offense intended.

Use hwmonitor to check your temps.

As far as the stock HSF that comes with the Phenom II, I agree, it can be annoyingly loud, I would consider replacing it not for the fact that its not doing the job, but because they are noisy.

absorber

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

bahahahah rookie you got nothing to worry about.

My phenom II 3 x 2.6ghz got up at about 75 while gaming, one time I think it hit about 80. That's at stock lmao. I hadn't put thermal paste on since i'd taken the heatsink out which was naturally a problem. It still works fine. I wouldn't worry so much.

(not saying your temps are gr8, just, it wont kill your cpu)

cmi86

Distinguished
A $20 Hyper 212+ with 2X $10 CM Sickle Flow 120's and some Arctic Silver 5 and my 960T with a 1.25Ghz OC maxes out @ 30c after 24 hours of prime, If you have $40 I suggest doing this. Your higher temps aren't really a huge deal but it's commonly known that heat is the enemy of electronics so the cooler your CPU can run the better. Plus you will get to kick that noisy stock cooler lol.