Your question

Intel IB is being launched a week early

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel
Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2012 11:43:29 PM

Hey,

I don't know how many of you actually check the news on tomshardware, so here you go: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-cpu-ivy-bridge-p...

From what I've heard, IB is really, really hot... but is it still better than SB?

More about : intel launched week early

a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 16, 2012 12:14:53 AM

Depends on what one does with their system. There really is no real world difference in performance, especially in gaming.
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:16:11 AM

Well... I'm going to overclock, and I've got a Fractal R3 case (although I've also got a Hyper 212)... so I don't want it to get that hot.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 186 à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 16, 2012 12:19:40 AM

IB can hit higher overclocks with less voltage..
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 12:21:57 AM

ddan49 said:
Well... I'm going to overclock, and I've got a Fractal R3 case (although I've also got a Hyper 212)... so I don't want it to get that hot.

Might need to upgrade your cooler if the heat issue from early testers prove correct
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:42:05 AM

So here's the ultimate question... am I better off with SB? Basically, will IB run hotter at a 4.0GHz (hypothetical overclock) than SB?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 12:49:27 AM

I think it runs hotter yet total amount of heat is less - does that make sense to you??
It's like what has more heat
1 gallon of 100F water or 1 quart of 150F water.
Answer - the 1 gallon of 100F water.
-Bruce
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 16, 2012 1:22:13 AM

The IB TDP went up from 77W to 95W, and the TJ Max is 105C*; in comparison the SB i7-2600K is the same 95W TDP with 98C TJ Max and SB-E is 130W TDP with 91C TJ Max.

I still don't like the idea of a 4.7GHz~4.8GHz running 97C~98C which is only offers a 7C~8C margin best case from CPU throttling or drop-out. By comparison a SB @ 4.8GHz is 68C or 30C margin, and SB-E @ 4.8GHz is 72C or 19C margin.

*based upon what I've seen so far.
m
l
April 16, 2012 1:22:26 AM

I sort of get it.. basically, for practical purposes, I want to stop at a safe temperature. I'm assuming IB has a higher threshold for CPU temperature (maximum it can take) than SB, but let's say they're the same. I want to stop at 70% of unsafe temperatures... which will get to a higher clock... IB or SB?

Lemme try rephrasing. I want to stop at 70% of maximum CPU temperatures (when it becomes unstable). Which will go higher... IB or SB?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 1:27:18 AM

Just wait til they come out man. When people start getting retail samples they can do some real tests and you can go from there.
m
l
April 16, 2012 1:49:47 AM

It's very possible that the BIOS vendors don't have a perfect understanding of how IB behaves with different voltages which causes the mobo to run it with a higher vcore than it needs. Let's wait for release and see what happens with the following BIOS updates.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:10:58 AM

Good point :) 

Are any of you planning on getting IB right when it comes out? Wait... dumb question. I don't think anyone's going to go from SB to IB, but new builders will have IB. Is it strange that I'm already excited for Haswell?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 16, 2012 2:17:34 AM

ddan49 said:
I sort of get it.. basically, for practical purposes, I want to stop at a safe temperature. I'm assuming IB has a higher threshold for CPU temperature (maximum it can take) than SB, but let's say they're the same. I want to stop at 70% of unsafe temperatures... which will get to a higher clock... IB or SB?

Lemme try rephrasing. I want to stop at 70% of maximum CPU temperatures (when it becomes unstable). Which will go higher... IB or SB?

The i7-3770K has a TJ Max is 105C*, so 105C*0.70 = ~74C so best guess low 4.XGHz (~4.2GHz).
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 2:22:37 AM

From what I've been seeing I have to wonder if the Ivy Bridge is really going to be as good as people are making it out to be. It seems there is little performance increase with greater heat. Sounds alot like Bulldozer.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:23:49 AM

Indeed. I'm actually thinking of getting SB. Although keep in mind, this is almost all speculation... no one actually has their hands on it except a select few (non-reviewers).
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:28:38 AM

Anonymous_26 said:
From what I've been seeing I have to wonder if the Ivy Bridge is really going to be as good as people are making it out to be. It seems there is little performance increase with greater heat. Sounds alot like Bulldozer.

Bulldozer was performance loss with more heat ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 2:30:17 AM

No but there was stuff floating around on the internet before Bulldozer was released saying that it runs hotter, and slower then previous AMD and Intel CPU's and that ended up being 100% true. Either way I don't care because I'm not switiching to Ivy Bridges I'm waiting for Haswell. By then if there are any problems Intel should have the problem fixed.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:30:42 AM

Mother of... Intel is turning into AMD!
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 2:38:41 AM

I'm waiting until Broadwell. :D  Too poor to upgrade Mobo/CPU all the time heh.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:41:58 AM

Yeah, I upgrade CPU/mobo probably once every four years. Probably more. PSU is like once a decade :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 2:45:22 AM

We'll see what happens when it's released but from what's been put out there so far I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much of a performance gain and it runs hotter than Sandy Bridges.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:50:11 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a big performance gain either, but I would be surprised if it does run hotter than SB (not at launch but after the platform matures). Like I said in my earlier post, I'll bet some of those early reviewer BIOS revisions overvolt the CPU to ensure it stays stable (especially with turbo boost). We even see that on mature platforms.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 16, 2012 2:52:54 AM

For those that have a SB now, IMO you'd be nuts to toss (sell) your CPU. I remember all of those folks saying "...as soon as the IB comes out I'm gett'n one and selling my SB..." to those folks, don't. If you're wanting to toss cash then I can see benefits to the Z77 with the improved Virtu or simply add another GPU or be happy.
m
l
April 16, 2012 3:03:41 AM

aicom said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a big performance gain either, but I would be surprised if it does run hotter than SB (not at launch but after the platform matures). Like I said in my earlier post, I'll bet some of those early reviewer BIOS revisions overvolt the CPU to ensure it stays stable (especially with turbo boost). We even see that on mature platforms.

By the platform maturing, do you mean hardware or like... drivers? Meaning, if I buy an IB chip when it comes out, and they make it better later on, (platform "matures") will I be able to reap the benefits of the changes they make? Via software? Or will it end up being a different chip, and I'll be stuck with the hot first edition?
m
l
April 16, 2012 3:18:40 AM

I was talking more about BIOS revisions, but it's certainly possible that Intel releases a newer stepping with better heat characteristics.
m
l