Sign in with
Your question

Old pc LAN wired to airport - which port for printer?

Last response: in Networking
January 29, 2011 5:39:21 PM

Hello,
We just recreated a system using and Apple Airport (my husband uses a Mac). We want to share the printer. I'm going to have to set up a new port (only options are LPT & COM). My computer is hardwired to the router via LAN - which port to I create to communicate via LAN to the printer?
a b X LAN
January 29, 2011 8:21:20 PM

how is you printer connecting to the PC? printer port or USB?
m
l
January 29, 2011 9:02:40 PM

Emerald said:
how is you printer connecting to the PC? printer port or USB?

My computer is connected LAN to the router. The printer is connected to the router via USB. My computer is not directly connected to the printed - using router as bridge.
m
l
Related resources
a b X LAN
January 29, 2011 9:37:12 PM

have you tried setting it up as a network printer instate of a local?
m
l
January 30, 2011 4:22:34 PM

Emerald said:
have you tried setting it up as a network printer instate of a local?

I did try to set up a network -but again - I have no idea which port it is plugged into and I MUST create one for this process. If I had something to pick - at least my computer would know where to look for a printer. I ran the wizard and hoped it would find it on it's on with no success.
In the printer folder - under properties and in ports - there is a place to put in a new port. I need to figure out 1. is it local or standard TCP/IP Port or 2. DO I select install 'new port monitor'? which I have to browse my computer for a "file"?
m
l
January 30, 2011 4:29:33 PM

Quote:
Install the drivers first then

Click on "Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes."

Select the printer to be shared and right-click on it.

Select "Sharing."

Put a check mark in the "Share This Printer" option and give it a descriptive share name.

Click "OK."

Click on "Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes" on the computer that needs print access through the wireless router.

Select "Add a Printer," then hit the "Next" button.

Choose "A Network Printer" and hit the "Next" button again.

Click "Browse for a Printer," then "Next."

Find the printer you want to print to, then click "Next."

I'm pretty sure I have to let my computer know it is connected - I need to create a name for the LAN port the printer is attached to. How do I create an LAN port in my 'create new port'?
m
l
!