Will it work?

jeclarke

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I have an old Enermax SGalaxy DDX Power Supply, never opened, I assume it works perfectly. I'm planning on building a gaming rig and I know it'll have enough wattage but will it be compatible with the new i3 or i5 processors? Not to mention new graphics cards?
I have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest, and I'm hoping I won't have to buy a new PSU in my pursuit of a gaming rig.
Thanks

Solution
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous...
What is the Enermax model number?

What graphics card model are you planning on using?

It is the Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) that determines whether or not the power supply is sufficient or insufficient for the build, not the power supply's total wattage.

jeclarke

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
The Enermax model number is EGX1000EWL. I'm planning on buying a GTX560ti, and I might decide to SLI later on. I'm not quite sure how to find the Total Continuous Amperage Available, but there are 5 +12V rails, and underneath each is says the output is 24A. Does that sound right? 2 Rails for "CPU/GPU", 3 more for "GPU/System/Drives"

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 52 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock you are trying to achieve.

The ENERMAX SGALAXY 1000W (EGX1000EWL), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 75 Amps and with three 6-pin and two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 560 Ti. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti in 2-way SLI mode.

Solution