New CPU DOA Help please

lupopovich

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I recently purchased a AMD FX-8120 Zambezi CPU from Newegg for a new build but had to return it. The reason for my concern is that under the FAQs section for RMAs the CPU return policy is that if a CPU is physically damaged Newegg will not replace it. My CPU was physically damaged(bent pins), but it was DOA. I discovered that the pins were bent when I attempted to put the processor in the motherboard socket and it would not go in.

I believe it was due to poor packaging as the CPU was flipped the wrong way in its plastic case, and the pins were not facing the protective foam. I was not at all responsible for the damage. But Newegg's policy is that it wont replace any damaged CPUs.

So am I screwed? Has anyone here had to go through an RMA of a CPU with Newegg? Please tell me I didn't just lose $200.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
It's really a painful experience. Since I don't purchased anything from Newegg I have limited knowledge about Newegg, anyway you should contact Newegg if possible through phone and confidently describe what happened to you and ask them for a replacement or a refund politely.
Most probably it works if you contact them by phone. If they don't help you then you may contact AMD and explain them all that happened...............

lupopovich

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

The box from the outside looked fine and there was no damage to it. By the time I discovered that the CPU itself wasn't packaged properly the box was already open.

lupopovich

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
UPDATE: I talked to customer support about the RMA and they gave me UPS shipping label. Unfortunately I have already shipped it back to Newegg at my own expense. The Newegg CSR added some additional comments to my RMA page explaining that the CPU was DOA. I still have a feeling that the RMA is going to get rejected...