Sign in with
Your question

PC Shuts off during gameplay

Last response: in Components
April 16, 2012 6:14:27 AM

Hello, first off let me point out that i'm new to the site and my name is justin. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i recently purchased a computer from newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and i have the problem that it shuts down during gaming like GTA 4 for example. I downloaded speed fan and monitored my GPU temp and the highest i seen it reach was 67 degrees celcius. i moved my computer to a more ventilated area and still no improvements. the only way i can play games for more then 30 minutes is have my AC and fan blowing on my PC. I also replaced the thermal compound hoping that word work but it didnt. so i dont know what else to do

More about : shuts gameplay

April 16, 2012 6:57:35 AM

67C is pretty hot. Still, it should trottle , not shut down your PC. I think it is more likely your graphic card overheats. Monitor its temperature.
EDIT: 67C is still under max temperature.
m
l
April 16, 2012 7:36:48 AM

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 100C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 116W
Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 400W

This is from the nvidia website. 67C is not rare for a GPU. YOu should worry if it gets like 85 + celcius. YOu should check the airflow of your case maby its messed up and hot air not flowing out of the case but building up inside your case. I would contact newegg if the problem stil persists
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2012 7:58:25 AM

My first point of call would be to contact NEWEGG if it's under warranty, don't do anything to compremise your warranty, my gut feel is that it's either GPU or PSU related. If it's under warranty then they have an obligation to address the issue and be given the opportunity to put it right.

If your PC is out of warranty........ Either the PSU is struggling to supply enough power at peak loads under prolonged periods and cutting out or the GPU is over heating. PSU is most likely an issue if you have a no brand power supply or it's a low power PSU and you are running a high power GPU and CPU. What's your venitlation and airflow like through the case? Try removing a side panel and see if that helps. When you do this (with the power off) check your motherboard and GPU for dust and clean as appropriate, note it's also worth checking all case fans at the same time). Run diagnostic software to check the temp of your GPU.
m
l
April 16, 2012 8:03:09 AM

chinchilla_bob said:
My first point of call would be to contact NEWEGG if it's under warranty, don't do anything to compremise your warranty, my gut feel is that it's either GPU or PSU related. If it's under warranty then they have an obligation to address the issue and be given the opportunity to put it right.

If your PC is out of warranty........ Either the PSU is struggling to supply enough power at peak loads under prolonged periods and cutting out or the GPU is over heating. PSU is most likely an issue if you have a no brand power supply or it's a low power PSU and you are running a high power GPU and CPU. What's your venitlation and airflow like through the case? Try removing a side panel and see if that helps. When you do this (with the power off) check your motherboard and GPU for dust and clean as appropriate, note it's also worth checking all case fans at the same time). Run diagnostic software to check the temp of your GPU.

i am supposed to be getting a new video card and power supply, and at the moment i have the side panel removed with my air conditioner blowing cold air in and my fan sucking hot air out. i have also checked for dust and nothing at all, and all fans are working. im not sure what brand the power supply is but its 700Watts. i thought that would be more then enough but then again im not a computer technician :/ 
m
l
April 16, 2012 12:57:38 PM

It is the GPU RAM.

There is no monitor for it. The fact that keeping it cool makes it so you can play without issue verifies that it is a heat issue.

RMA the GFX card stating the GDDR is overheating and describe the problem and solution (A/C helps keep it working).

m
l
April 16, 2012 12:59:38 PM

If you are out of warrenty then you can try to find a 3rd party GPU cooler that has "full coverage" H/S.

I assume your current GPU has a "flower" style cooler. If you already have a full coverage H/S then it is likely a thermal pad is missing and preventing heat from the GDDR transferring to the H/S. You can buy new pads and install them to possibly fix it...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 1:17:28 PM

What?, did you guys not hear a thing chinchilla said?. Since this is a Computer still under warranty... newegg should have the ball. Before replacing ANY hardware. Let Newegg trouble shoot. if problem still not solved then take matter into your own hands. Change out Graphics card and Power supply. POwer Supply first. But let me ask this what res monitor are you using Suspect?, I used to run a 550 ti (Disliked it very much) at 1600x900 my GTS 450 did better. when i ran 1920x1080. my 550 ti was still doing the exact same thing your computer is doing, even with a 750 watt Corsair power supply. SO i tryed the GTS 450, and it would almost seem like it was gonna crash and would lagg a little bit it worked better than the 550 ti. SO over tiem i got two 560 ti's and problem solved. Read my RIG for questions about my RIG
m
l
April 16, 2012 1:19:47 PM

This sounds like it could be a plain ole memory issue, maybe a dimm came loose during shipping. I would try re-seating the memory. If that doesn't do it run http://www.memtest.org/ just to make sure the systems memory is fine.

Those are easy and free options but if those done work I would work it out with newegg or the manufacturer as it sounds like its a defect of some kind. Also, almost every person on newegg has this issue with the PC.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 1:33:57 PM

james is right. Read the reviews: 2 egg average, 57% 1 and 2 eggs. That is what we call an "indicator".

Just out of curiosity, S_s, what kind of power supply does the system have?

Your symptoms match those caused by inadequate power.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 1:35:07 PM

james is right. Read the reviews: 2 egg average, 57% 1 and 2 eggs. That is what we call an "unfavorable indicator".

m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
April 16, 2012 1:38:34 PM

Umm, Newegg doesn't provide the warranty
m
l
April 16, 2012 4:01:05 PM

Rockdpm said:
What?, did you guys not hear a thing chinchilla said?. Since this is a Computer still under warranty... newegg should have the ball. Before replacing ANY hardware. Let Newegg trouble shoot. if problem still not solved then take matter into your own hands. Change out Graphics card and Power supply. POwer Supply first. But let me ask this what res monitor are you using Suspect?, I used to run a 550 ti (Disliked it very much) at 1600x900 my GTS 450 did better. when i ran 1920x1080. my 550 ti was still doing the exact same thing your computer is doing, even with a 750 watt Corsair power supply. SO i tryed the GTS 450, and it would almost seem like it was gonna crash and would lagg a little bit it worked better than the 550 ti. SO over tiem i got two 560 ti's and problem solved. Read my RIG for questions about my RIG

Im using my TV its 42" and 1920x1080
m
l
April 16, 2012 4:05:55 PM

jsc said:
james is right. Read the reviews: 2 egg average, 57% 1 and 2 eggs. That is what we call an "unfavorable indicator".

at the time i didnt think to read the reviews( dumb i know ), i just wanted a better computer. but after i got it i read the reviews and i re-seated the RAM. cleaned any possible dust. moved to a better area. bought artic silver 5 thermal compound and replaced it to the cpu and video card. still no improvements. and the side of the power supply says " 700W ATX power supply www.buyxg.com "
m
l
April 17, 2012 9:24:54 AM

THE FACT THAT PUTTING AN A/C ON IT FIXES THE PROBLEM CONFIRMS IT IS A HEAT ISSUE

^^^ DUH, GENIUSES.
m
l
!