Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2011 3:15:23 PM

Ok first of all,my pc's specs.

CPU: e5200 dual core 2.5ghz
mobo: p5sv2-vm
ram: 4gb
hdd: 150gb seagate sata
gpu: 2gb gt440 nvidia geforce

Here's my problem. I bought a new video card (gt440), my previous was, 512mb gt8500.

With gt8500,I can play cod's,bf2 and warrock without any problem even though the quality isnt that good. Then when i installed my new gt 440, the game always freezes after 5 minutes into the game and this is what my display looks like when it freezes and eventually restarts.

The remedies ive done:

1) Fresh install Win xp x32, windows 7 x64 and vista.
2) Wiped out my HDD including partitions.
3) Updated my gt 440 to the latest firmware
4) Downloaded the latest installer and reinstalled the game (WarRock)
5) Turned off my firewalls and my antivirus programs
6) Shoot myself?

Is my GPU busted? tho its brand new and im using it now for a month.

This is so frustrating... Because ive done all the things that might have caused the errors.. but still it wont work... please help me.. thank you gurus!
November 7, 2011 3:56:58 PM

strange im not overly familiar with either card but checking hwcompare its the gt440 as a clear winner

http://www.hwcompare.com/7345/geforce-8500-gt-vs-geforc...

did the pc come pre-built? if so possibly the PSU didnt have much room for upgrading the gpu? what psu (make/model - not just stated wattage pls)

is the card seated properly in pciE slot#1 and has any necessary additional power connectors from the psu?

as you see it does require more power - and specs probably say 400w psu or greater but cant find the amp requirements for this card -

chaz
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:37:36 AM

@chaz my psu is Techwill 500 watts single fan and i have 6 additional fans that ive got from my old psu's i just dont know the size or MM of the fans, but the six fans are just tapped in my case fan. Theres no power connectors on the gpu, and i will consider cleaning the hardware and chop it piece by piece. Ill update you later.

is it the the (tapped) fans causing this problem? Maybe because theyre sucking up the power that the gpu needs? omg im such a noob :( 
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:21:23 AM

@chaz heres what ive done after reading your reply

1) cleaned it piece by piece
2) removed other fans and left 1 (exhaust) fan
3) cleaned the pcie port and gpu
4) cleaned the memory modules and slots

I will play warrock now and see what will happen

here are the pictures of my system unit

m
l
November 8, 2011 5:55:48 AM

this is a good practice to get into if you have a case with airflow - even if case and gpu dont have temperature monitoring you should be able to sense when the fans work harder

did you manage to get the power supply details (make & model)

i hope youve had some success but bear in mind parts can die after time anyway
m
l
November 8, 2011 5:57:27 AM

apols ive just seen the psu details...
m
l
November 8, 2011 5:59:37 AM

the fans use very little power usually did you install the case fans at same time as the new gt 440?
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:13:02 AM

Ive removed the other fans, so theres only 1 fan left (exhaust) but even before the system warms up... same sh*t happens....

im updating my gpu drivers now... but i think this wont solve anything cause i did this before..

my gt440 is a month old, and my brother told me earlier that even his web based game freezes and restarts..

and while playing earlier, im watching the temperatures too with Aida64 and the cpus temp is between 55-58c both cores, and the gpu is merely 50c

whats left to do :( 
m
l
November 8, 2011 7:43:31 AM

Would that solve my problem?

anyway, heres whats going on while i am playing right now. Please tell me if anything isnt right there. thank you gurus!

m
l
November 8, 2011 9:09:02 AM

ermmm... if you say so :??: 

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=10796084

good thing my favorite shop has this particular psu... i hoooope this would work! *praying* because i cannot afford any mishaps now... money's too rare here to buy stuffs that wouldnt solve the problem :na: 

thank you! will update this thread as soon as im able to buy a new psu! God Bless!

Much love from the Philippines! - Jed
m
l
November 8, 2011 3:18:13 PM

i was a little concerned with the psu given i could not find any great info on it but thought we could try some cleaning tips before suggesting a new power supply but in down with 384bit

keep us updated

chaz
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:22:04 PM

ive cleaned my system unit earlier, and so far, i havent experienced the freezing issue

so after playing warrock for a couple of hours, the voltages seems changed after playing compared to the picture above while playing

and what does the yellow triangles signifies? that my psu is below the needed electricity? :( 
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:24:42 PM

so 11.827 V is supposed to be 12 v ++ then?
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:33:12 PM

Okay, thank you for guiding me through this gurus! I think i should buy a new psu as 384-bit suggests.

But... i have to wait for the 12th of November since i dont have money yet.

So.. can you give me steps that will enlighten my NOOB SOUL, and prove it to my face that the real culprit is the PSU (omg im so stupid) Please? :D  Cause theres 3 days left so maybe i can run some diagnostics or whatnot. Please? Thank you!
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:35:03 PM

its the GPU + 12 v right?
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:42:51 PM

Mmm.. the words, makes me smile. Okay, so the update on this issue will be in 2-3 days. I trust in you, not because im desperate, but i can really feel your passion and knowledge on this. So yeah :D 

Btw, i play for 8-12 hours a day, daylight, and leave the pc open for another 12 hours for boosting (cheating) in the game.. so my pc is turned on for maybe 48 hours or less, then rests for 4 hours. but with the corsair, its a heavyweight in its category right?
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:49:50 PM

Well, just to gain money like others do cause its a pretty corrupt game. :D 

OK! I think i can sleep now, *taskbar* whoa 2:57am :D  Please get back to me after a few days... I dont know anybody here...

corsair cx430! *dreams*
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:53:24 PM

oops! one last thing, its seems that my favorite shop doesnt have the cx 430 v2, just the v1 :?? would that matter? or.. ermm im not sure
m
l
November 8, 2011 4:59:40 PM

OKAY! I can calm down now... Thank you sir, have a good one! Will post the updates on this soon!

Maraming Salamat!
m
l
November 9, 2011 1:08:13 PM

oh god :sarcastic:  :??:  im shaking.. cause after installed the cx430... i got two same sh*t pixelated frozen screen.... after 5 minutes from boot..... so im uploading this really quick cause im feeling that itll strike again.. oh god :( 

m
l
November 9, 2011 1:11:26 PM

oh god :??:  my heart is pumping so hard now that i am trembling... i bought this for around $50 whats the problem now??
m
l
November 9, 2011 1:33:53 PM

dying? :(  my gpu is a month old.. and i havent used it that MUCH because i cannot stay even an hour in the game :(  :(  :??: 
m
l
November 9, 2011 2:08:51 PM

me twice! happened again, 5 minutes earlier.... :( 

m
l
November 10, 2011 1:14:45 AM

jedzkie said:
me twice! happened again, 5 minutes earlier.... :( 

]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/81/39087826369043368151410.jpg

I think your graphics card's busted.. any way I'm from Philippines also... and I use the same card as you do.. only thing is it's Palit not Inno3d.. and I'm only using a imaster pro 6000 600watts.. and it's flawless.. i think the last psu you used before the corsair seems to damaged your graphics card cos it's 12 volts rail is below minimum spec for that card.. correct me if I'm wrong but i think that's about it.. anyway try to clean the gpu on that thing and replace thermal paste cos i think that's because of heat problems... mine is 48C when idle and boost temps up to 72C when on load..
m
l
November 10, 2011 2:34:44 AM

While im replying to your post jepoy, it crashed again with just firefox on.. so ive decided to remove it, and just use the onboard vid and change the thermal paste too.

ive cleaned it yesterday and the whole system unit piece by piece,and i remembered, that my gt 8500 got corroded on the first segment, about 10 gold contacts and left some green residues in the pcie slot and ive cleaned it though i cannot remove the tiny bits. But, my gt8500 can operate flawlessly even if the green stuffs are there,but it just died so i replaced it with this gt 440.

ill play warrock now and see if it crashes again,with the onboard vid. But if not, maybe its my brand new gt 440's busted. its still on warranty anyway,
m
l
November 10, 2011 4:17:22 AM

The GPU is busted my friend, there is no maybe about it. Send that puppy in under her warranty and await a new one. Keep in mind, computer parts can fail even when brand new. A friend once told me "Just think of 25% of all parts you buy being bad out of the box, and you'll save yourself the anger and frustration of working on computers." Its so true. If you don't expect it, you will only be madder. If you expect it, its a 'well, oh well, time to send it for a replacement'.

By the way, if it makes you feel any better, you got a shiny new PSU out of it. Keep the other one for backup, or sell it, or scrap it. Whatever.
m
l
November 10, 2011 5:30:19 AM

BUT.... could it be the corroded pcie slot that's causing this? When my gpu died, i saw green stuffs formed in the pcie slot and in the first segment of gold contacts of my old gt8500 (first 10 gold contacts) and I don't know how to clean it properly and with what so I jut used a folded paper and gently swiped it back and forth...I'm pretty sure I didn't damage or clipped any teeth inside the slot.. But I don't know if its cleaned... I want to solve this on my own and learn as far as my might can go.... but if not? Of course, the experts are there.. It's just that I think that this is one of the last troubleshooting that I should do before I send this to the shop.... Please understand me if I have tons of questions.. Thank you in advance!
m
l
November 10, 2011 7:23:13 AM

the business with the green stuff forming in the PCIe slot sounds bad and despite your best efforts i doubt its all removed and it may well have done permanent damage (either the green stuff or the attempt to clean), the PCIe motherboard slots sound like they've had it basically meaning the motherboard has had it - I've never seen or heard of anything like that so will leave it to others with more experience to advise you about the green stuff

even if the old PSU was not faulty I would still not use it as it clearly wasnt up to the job

chaz
m
l
November 10, 2011 8:45:10 PM

That would be copper due to corrosion. I doubt that would have caused damage. Send in your 440 GT. If the one you get back is also doing that, then you know its the motherboard (or, on rarer occasions, just another bad card =P).
m
l
November 11, 2011 12:55:37 PM

Earlier, i brought my system unit and the gpu. The gpu was tested, and i am still waiting for the result..

But as the two technicians told me, it could be compatibility issue, that the asus p5svm-2 is TOO old for the nvidia geforce gt 440... so if the gpu would pass the stress test,and its okay, means that its my mobo??.... fml :cry: 
m
l
November 12, 2011 3:13:28 AM

I've never heard of a motherboard that isn't compatible with today's graphics cards. Only compatibility should be PSU and whether or not you have the proper slots for the proper card (AKA, AGP slots for a AGP card, PCI for PCI card, and PCI-E for PCI-E slots...). It could be possible, I suppose, but I just can't see that being the case. That sort of stuff happens for RAM and CPUs.

As a matter of fact, if its running a Pentium dual core, I'm going to say with 100% certainty that your GPU is just as compatible with your motherboard as any other GPU out there. Your system may be old, but it isn't THAT old.

If it is the motherboard, don't sweat it too much. A new board can be gotten fairly cheap. You may have to upgrade to DDR 3 ram, but they still make MBs that are compatible with your processor and what not. I don't know how much tech costs over there, but I can't imagine it being much more than here.
m
l
November 12, 2011 5:58:20 AM

So today, the shop told me that the gt 440 passed the benchmark/stress test and its 100% working..

and the things that are left, w/c is old: motherboard, rams, and cpu...

if ill buy a new mobo,
if ill buy a new cpu,
if ill buy a new set of rams, and the problem still persists?

man this is going way too far...

btw i am playing for 2 days now, with just naps in between, and my pcs performance is flawless. im using sparkle nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb.. that means??
m
l
November 12, 2011 6:03:28 AM

playing flawlessly with sparkle nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb. same setup, just without the gt440 nvidia geforce 2gb
m
l
November 12, 2011 7:25:33 AM

It seems that this is the only motherboard available, and fits my money,

Asus P5G41T-M LX3

http://ph.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41T...

and

Corsair Vengeance 4gb ddr3-1600

http://www.tipidpc.com/viewitem.php?iid=9379629

NOW! Would these (MB & RAM) create another conflict with my remaining components? Pentium Dual core e5200 2.5ghz, Corsair cx430, seagate sata 150gb & nvidia geforce gt 440?

Can somebody please tell me? I need a solid answer... Please... I cant afford another mistake...
m
l
November 13, 2011 4:48:10 AM

There shouldn't be a conflict with that motherboard or the RAM. The card will work in that board so long as it is a PCI-E x16 slot card, or heck even if it was just old PCI, that board has a slot for that too.

My concern is, however, that your 8400 plays just fine in your motherboard, but the GT440 doesn't?

When you installed the GT 440, did you try uninstalling the graphic drivers, then reinstalling them from scratch? I doubt the drivers would give artifacts like that, but worth a try. I would refrain from buying anything just right now. Do you have a friend who has a PC with a PCI-E slot that also has a 300 watt or higher PSU that you can test the card in yourself?

Because honestly, if the 8400 can play the game just fine, but this one can't, then something is going on with the GT 440.
m
l
November 13, 2011 5:23:20 AM

The Gt 440 passed the benchmark/stress test and is 100% working.

Before my old gt 8500 died, everything is working fine, until it stopped working. Then replaced it with gt 440, and immediately after installing the device and drivers, this sh*t starts to happen.

My first guess was dirt, so i cleaned it piece by piece,still freezes & restarts.

2nd guess is virus, wiped out my hdd and its partitions, installed W7 x64,still freezes & restarts.

3rd guess, software compatibility, wiped out my hdd and its partitions, installed WinXP sp3 x32, updated gpu firmware still freezes & restarts.

4th? Consulted here and posted the events and information regarding this issue, and was told its the PSU, bought a new PSU, still freezes & restarts.

5th, had the gt 440 checked, and as the shop said, the Gt 440 passed the benchmark/stress test and is 100% working.

6th borrowed a brand new sparkle gs 8400 geforce nvidia 512mb , works fine, no issues for 3 days of semi-straight playing with just naps in between.

7th?

8400 plays just fine in your motherboard, but the GT440 doesn't? correct sir. Works like a charm...
m
l
November 14, 2011 3:49:16 AM

You borrowed the 8400... was it from a friend? Will the friend let you test the GT 440 in that PC? I know you said the shop stressed it and said it works fine, but I really want you to test it yourself to really make sure it doesn't mess up in someone else's computer (outside of a tech shop). Mostly because at this point its down to having to replace something, and I'm not about to have you replace something only for it not be the culprit, especially since you said you can't afford to make another purchase mistake.

I know this is probably frustrating, but these things can take time to troubleshoot. Trust me, I've spent days going through various troubleshooting tests and whatnot with my PC in the past. It was frustrating, because most of the time I can figure it out pretty fast and fix it pronto. But it isn't always the case.
m
l
November 14, 2011 4:51:55 AM

Ill pick up the gt 440 later today, and test it in someones system, maybe from the owner of the 8400 whos my friend.

wait.... i saw this.... :(  and this broke my heart...

the gt440 is ddr3??? http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-440-us....

and my current motherboard (Asus P5SD2-VM) is ddr2??? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5SD2...

f*ck me thrice :(  is this the reason for all of this?

that motherf*cker from the shop told me that the gt440 would work in my current rig after giving them the list of my pc's components...

whyyy??
m
l
November 14, 2011 5:03:10 AM

lol. Nooooooooooo. The GT 440 has GDDR3 RAM, which is different from system RAM. Your motherboard supports SYSTEM RAM which is DDR2. A motherboard that supports system ram of DDR2 will still handle graphic cards with GDDR3, GDDR4, GDDR5, etc...
m
l
!