Sign in with
Your question

Troubleshooting an asrock z77 Motherboard, looking for help

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2013 12:55:57 AM

I've got everything plugged in for the test. This is my first build by the way... So it blips on for about two seconds then shuts off again, nothing shows up on the monitor. Ram's in, processor's in, got the 24 pin power connector on nice and snug. GPU is an evga 670, that's got two 6 pin pci cables on it.

For my own trouble shooting I tried using the 4 pin and the 8 pin ATX 12v power supplement connectors. The youtube video for newegg said you could use both for extra juice so I tried that too. Every which way got me the same results though. Lights and fans are on for two seconds and then they stop.

Am I making some obvious monumental mistake here?
February 25, 2013 5:48:48 AM

Start by taking things out and trying to identify something that is causing the issue.

First, take out the GPU, this is often a part which can affect the entire computer booting up. Plug your video cable into the motherboard, and hopefully it will boot.

Second, if it doesn't work, see if its a RAM issue. Take out one stick of ram if you have two, see if it boots.If it still doesn't boot when your second stick is in, move the second stick. If it still doesn't boot then, then put back the first stick where the second stick just was.

If you have only one, move the ram stick to a different slot.

Other than that, please list your power supply.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2013 11:56:06 AM

Hello and ty for taking the time to hep me out! I've ruled out a lot of the simple answers. I shifted everything around and tried just the motherboard itself. The Power Supply is a 1300w. She's a biggin'. So it isn't a power shortage... Can there be too much power? o.O The brand is Kingwin.

I haven't tried with no ram yet... it's 2133mhz gripjaw or w/e. I got the z77 oc formula simply because I thought it could handle/was compatible with anything. Next I'm trying resetting it by taking out the little battery on the board I read somewhere that could do the trick.

I think I may be plugging something in wrong, or could this be caused by improper cpu installation? I thought I was extremely gentle getting my cooler master hyper 212 plus. As you may know it's a heavy ****** that sits right on the cpu until it gets installed and hangs vertically. Sooooo. I'ma try and uninstall that next, look at the pins... See if I just made myself a giant paper weight. I don't like that free sitting design the 212 has.

Hum, what else should I look at?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 11:59:26 AM

Sounds to me like you have either neglected or failed to connect the 8 pin connector. as you look at the mobo from the bottom (the side which has all the peripheral connectors for USB, LAN, video, etc.) the 8 pin connector slot is at the left towards the bottom near the CPU. That connector has to be connected for the mobo to post. I recently reconfigured my mobo and in the build the 8 pin connector pulled out. I had the same problem as you, which was remedied when I took off the CPU heatsink and I reconnected the 8 pin connector.

If your mobo does not post when you have the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors properly seated then you should RMA it back to the seller or manufacturer.
m
l
February 25, 2013 12:01:51 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Sounds to me like you have either neglected or failed to connect the 8 pin connector. as you look at the mobo from the bottom (the side which has all the peripheral connectors for USB, LAN, video, etc.) the 8 pin connector slot is at the left towards the bottom near the CPU. That connector has to be connected for the mobo to post. I recently reconfigured my mobo and in the build the 8 pin connector pulled out. I had the same problem as you, which was remedied when I took off the CPU heatsink and I reconnected the 8 pin connector.

If your mobo does not post when you have the 24 pin and 8 pin connectors properly seated then you should RMA it back to the seller or manufacturer.

*** really? alright... thanks...
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:43:28 PM

JJ1217 said:
Start by taking things out and trying to identify something that is causing the issue.

First, take out the GPU, this is often a part which can affect the entire computer booting up. Plug your video cable into the motherboard, and hopefully it will boot.

Second, if it doesn't work, see if its a RAM issue. Take out one stick of ram if you have two, see if it boots.If it still doesn't boot when your second stick is in, move the second stick. If it still doesn't boot then, then put back the first stick where the second stick just was.

Well, I uninstalled the 212, there were no bent pins... could that mean that the mobo is simply DOA? :C Are there any other tricks I can try?
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:46:30 PM

JJ1217 said:

Well, I uninstalled the 212, there were no bent pins... could that mean that the mobo is simply DOA? :C Are there any other tricks I can try?
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 3:49:23 PM

make sure you used the brass standoffs so that the mb is not shorting to the case. also check the i\o shield and cpu heat sink if it has a metal back-plate that it not shorting anything out. if you think it a dead short take the mb out of the case and try posting it on top of the mb box. all you need is the power switch connected from the case. also check the case and case cables. make sure the switches and wires are connected right and are in the right spots. a stuck reset switch will hang a mb.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:54:01 PM

smorizio said:
make sure you used the brass standoffs so that the mb is not shorting to the case. also check the i\o shield and cpu heat sink if it has a metal back-plate that it not shorting anything out. if you think it a dead short take the mb out of the case and try posting it on top of the mb box. all you need is the power switch connected from the case. also check the case and case cables. make sure the switches and wires are connected right and are in the right spots. a stuck reset switch will hang a mb.
I'm actually *still* on the prelim. test Smori, it's like... I researched all the dumb stuff us new computer builders do. I'm fairly certain I havn't done anything like that. Have a static bracelet, didn't ratchet the coolermaster bolts on the mobo down too tight...

I tried turning on the mobo with nothing but the processor in it, with the hdmi cable hooked to it's back. Same thing, clicks on, fan spins for one second. then clicks off. I had a fan hooked to the mobo fan port to though, I read that can make it auto shutdown somewhere.

It's such a beautiful board too... but not even so much as a beep code.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 4:14:42 PM

new mb wont beep...they dont have speakers on them anymore unless one comes with the case. try this...unplug the power supply from the mb and drives and then use a paper clip to jumper the green wire on the 24 pin atx connector to a black wire. see if the fan on the power supply comes on and stays on. (also plug a case fan) on the power supply to see if it stays on). if you have a volt meter read the rean wire voltage it should be 5v. also read the other legs to see if there in spec for the atx power output. if it not a power issue then there a short somewhere. also if you have an older power supply with the red 110/220v switch on it check that it set to us voltage if your on a 120v ac power.
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:18:46 PM

smorizio said:
new mb wont beep...they dont have speakers on them anymore unless one comes with the case. try this...unplug the power supply from the mb and drives and then use a paper clip to jumper the green wire on the 24 pin atx connector to a black wire. see if the fan on the power supply comes on and stays on. (also plug a case fan) on the power supply to see if it stays on). if you have a volt meter read the rean wire voltage it should be 5v. also read the other legs to see if there in spec for the atx power output. if it not a power issue then there a short somewhere. also if you have an older power supply with the red 110/220v switch on it check that it set to us voltage if your on a 120v ac power.
yah there's a speaker on it...
m
l
!