Wolveon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Gosh, this problem gets brought up so much.
Okay, so this is what happens. On my computer, it will randomly freeze. Sometimes it doesn't even boot, but the fans spin. When it does, the furthest it's ever got is me being able to log on Windows XP, then after about 30 seconds it freezes. One time I got a blue screen, and it said something about a framebuf error, if that helps.
I'm think maybe it's overheating, because in my BIOS it says my system fan is at 0RPM?
Help appreciated!

wuk

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
hey wolveon it is possible it could be the RAM or bad powersupply or even the motherboard.

to test RAM you could run memtest to check the memory from windows (or use the method above to be more certain - if you have more than one stick of RAM you should also try just using one stick, try in different slots too)

to test powersupply you might be able to see the voltage readings in your BIOS/CMOS under hardware (HW) monitor - the values will not be exact but if there is a big difference ( 0.5V or more) then this may indicate a problem.

with the motherboard - you might like to try going into BIOS and loading failsafe defaults if that option is available, or another way is to take out the BIOS battery (little flat rouund shiny battery) and unplug the powercord and leave it unplugged for a few minutes, hold in the power for 10 seconds - then plug in the powercord and turn the system on.

you should also try cleaning any dust from the system with an air compressor if possible, i have used a vacuum cleaner in the past as well but i don't know if that is 100% safe.

another thing to do is to try removing any expansion cards you might have (like 3d video cards or modems or souund cards or whatever and just use the built in outputs on the motherboard if it has it)

hope this has been of some help to you!

good luck :)

love and peace
will

Wolveon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
>to test powersupply you might be able to see the voltage readings in your BIOS/CMOS under hardware (HW) monitor - the values will not be exact but if there is a big difference ( 0.5V or more) then this may indicate a problem
Okay, everything was above 0.5v

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Run memtest86 first, it's a free software that you should run overnight (or approx 4-8 hours) in order to test your RAM for anything irregular.

Usually power supplies problems will not freeze the computer but shut it down completely out of the blue. It also gives you a hard time booting. So it's possible it's the PSU, but not certain yet.

You should also double check the motherboard to PC tower connections to make sure the boot issue isn't related to improperly connected wires.

And finally I would recommend you post all your PC's components in details here so people can help you better.

Wolveon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Checked all cables, everything is plugged in.
Motherboard is MSI 848P Neo2-V
Video is nVidia 6600 GT AGP
CPU is Pentium 4 3.20GHz
512 MB RAM
480w PSU

These are my temperatures in BIOS:
System Temperature - 21c/69 F
CPU Temperature - 38c/100 F
CPU FAN Speed - 2636 RPM
System Fan Speed - 3341 RPM
Power Fan Speed - 0 RPM
CPU Vcore - 1.34 V