Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advise on replacing a video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 7, 2011 4:42:24 PM

I have a Dell 9200 with Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) with a
128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS
that seems to have major video problems. I understand that it's an older ddr2 machine.

a- what's a good cheap video card that I can get,341-3295
b- is it a lost cause and just buy a newer ddr3 machine (as Dell recommends)

Txs

Abba
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 4:54:42 PM

Hey and welcome to the forum

What is your budget?

Do you plan on gaming?

Can I suggest that if you do decide to buy a new machine some time in the future that you create a new thread in the "Homebuilt" section, get some advise and build it yourself. You'll save alot of money and get exactly what you want.
m
l
November 7, 2011 5:27:30 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hey and welcome to the forum

What is your budget?

Do you plan on gaming?

Can I suggest that if you do decide to buy a new machine some time in the future that you create a new thread in the "Homebuilt" section, get some advise and build it yourself. You'll save alot of money and get exactly what you want.

Txs

I didn't want to spend much north of $50 and I'm not interested in gaming.

Would love to build it myself. Is it worth it if I am not doing gaming?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:30:33 PM

abba1000 said:
I have a Dell 9200 with Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) with a
128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS
that seems to have major video problems. I understand that it's an older ddr2 machine.

a- what's a good cheap video card that I can get,341-3295
b- is it a lost cause and just buy a newer ddr3 machine (as Dell recommends)

Txs

Abba

Considering your Dell machine with its weak power supply, you'd be looking at a modest upgrade anyway. However the HD 5670 is quite a powerful card for $70. As per the monthly graphics card article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-...

I think this would be ideal for you while you're saving for that upgrade. I think your machine would game pretty well for the time being.
DDR3 isn't going to gain you very much by itself, its the newer platforms with core i5 that really out pace the older quads.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:31:43 PM

HD 5570 is $55.

BTW, when asking for video card advice its critical to mention your resolution to get the best recommendations.
m
l

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:33:41 PM

abba1000 said:
Txs

If your not gaming then there's no need to get anything more powerful than this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To answer your question, yes, even if your not gaming there are some big savings to be had by D.I.Y
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:34:11 PM

abba1000 said:
Txs

Well, a dedicated graphics card would help with windows Aero and now web browsers are hardware accelerated so I think the 5570 would provide a boost with minimal investment. Its not a gaming card really except for the most limited budgets, and resolutions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:35:06 PM

Somebody is a much faster typist than I.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:39:03 PM

yes iam fastest in typing.why?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 5:42:30 PM

yes iam fastest in typing.why?
m
l
November 7, 2011 11:20:01 PM

Rustyy117 said:
If your not gaming then there's no need to get anything more powerful than this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

To answer your question, yes, even if your not gaming there are some big savings to be had by D.I.Y

Thanks for your quick response.

Is there anything gained in durability or stability by getting a Radeon HD 5670.

The MSI you pointed out seems a bargain.. maybe too good?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 11:37:49 PM

abba1000 said:
Thanks for your quick response.

Is there anything gained in durability or stability by getting a Radeon HD 5670.

The MSI you pointed out seems a bargain.. maybe too good?

Depends on what you think a bargain is. For your uses, a lite duty, low power option is probably a good idea. But you can't expect much of it, beyond a small performance boost from integrated graphics.

The two cards I suggested could do what you need and then some. So if you had the slightest interest in gaming or multimedia, the $30 card may come up short. I wouldn't say its a bad value, but recognize that its potential is limited. It certainly isn't "too good to be true", it is priced according to its rank as a low cost add in card.

Durability? Well, if you were to put the Geforce 210 through some powerful loads, it only has a small heatsink with no fan and I would question its durability if trying to use it for gaming. For everyday computing though it should be sufficient.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 11:40:19 PM

Whats your native resolution?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 7, 2011 11:44:34 PM

To answer an earlier question, if your system is good enough for you then there is no reason to upgrade.
Moving to a system that utilizes DDR3 system memory as opposed to DDR2 is not really going to show much benefit.
A platform upgrade would be a significant investment, but we could show you how to do it on the cheap. Probably the number one advantage to building you own system is you won't be limited in upgrade options by Dell, or gateway, or HP. Choosing you own upgrade path and what components to use is very empowering.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 8, 2011 12:02:09 AM

you can do a BSEL mod on that Dell
3.2Ghz OC stable
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:39:32 AM

buzznut said:
Depends on what you think a bargain is. For your uses, a lite duty, low power option is probably a good idea. But you can't expect much of it, beyond a small performance boost from integrated graphics.

The two cards I suggested could do what you need and then some. So if you had the slightest interest in gaming or multimedia, the $30 card may come up short. I wouldn't say its a bad value, but recognize that its potential is limited. It certainly isn't "too good to be true", it is priced according to its rank as a low cost add in card.

Durability? Well, if you were to put the Geforce 210 through some powerful loads, it only has a small heatsink with no fan and I would question its durability if trying to use it for gaming. For everyday computing though it should be sufficient.

The following is a fanless model. ASUS Radeon HD 5450 EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD3. Is it better or worse than MSI. Seems that the price is the same.

Thanks
m
l
November 18, 2011 1:15:04 AM

Best answer selected by abba1000.
m
l
!