Dell Inspiron 1521 screen will not turn on

xColbyx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 1521 and the screen will not turn on all the time. I thought the screen went bad so I replaced the screen and inverter and it worked for like a day then I went to turn it on I got nothing. If I plug in an external monitor it that works so any ideas on what I can do to get the laptop screen to work. thanks for any help.

Hi :)

Ok ,is the NEW screen EXACTLY the same model number on the white sticker on the back as the old one ???

So called "universal" screens (where the numbers DO NOT match) have a nasty habit of only working sometimes...

All the best Brett :)

xColbyx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Ok the screen number isnt exactly the same the old is CHUNGHWA CLAA154WB08A the new one is CHUNGHWA CLAA154WB04. Do you think that could be the problem? My old screen would kind of do the same thing?

Hi :)

Well lets put it this way....

I own a lappy repair company and we ALWAYS change a screen for the EXACT NUMBER....

So assuming the Inverter was IDENTICAL and NEW (NOT second hand) then an IDENTICAL NUMBERED screen will fix it....

All the best Brett :)

xColbyx

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
Thanks Brett!
I will return the screen I have and get the exact number screen. By any chance could the port where you plug the screen in go bad on the laptop and if so would have VGA port still work on the laptop?

cephas_86

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
Any luck with fixing your issue? I have the EXACT same problem. When it started acting up, sometimes playing around with the power (plugging/unplugging) would make the screen come back on. External displays work just fine and actually the screen is there, it just doesn't light up. If I hold a flashlight just just right, I could see what's going on, but obviously that's very inconvenient. It seemed like the plugging/unplugging got to be less and less effective to the point where it didn't seem to affect it. My suspicions are that it has something to do with the drivers b/c every once in a while it would light up and work just fine... as if there were nothing wrong with it at all. Very frustrating all the way around. I've also done enough blog searches to come to the conclusion that it IS something inherently wrong with this specific model.. DELL 1521. I wish Dell would figure it out and address it. It's way past warranty and unless there is a simple fix.. ie updating drivers, my laptop is now pretty much useless as a laptop. It's now a small desktop that needs to be plugged into a monitor.. .except every once in a blue moon it will work how it's supposed to. This is a perfect example of how a company loses customers. Next laptop maybe a Sony, maybe Toshiba, HP. Definitely not a Dell.