Sign in with
Your question

Need Help, Decisions and Not much time! Please.

Last response: in Motherboards
February 25, 2013 2:42:39 AM

Hey guys, I have 3 different questions. I am on my way tommorow to Frys to get new parts, so I dont have much time.

Ok so this is whats going on. Yesterday my computer was running fine until my keyboard randomly went out. I thought it was nothing, and restarted it, and it was fine.

Today the keyboard went out again. This time i restarted it, and this is what happens:

I turn the computer on, SOUNDS like it starts up normally, but I get NO power to my keyboard or mouse, and my monitor gets no display. I have hooked up the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to another computer and they work fine.

I thought it might be the power supply at first, but all the fans are running, the computer turns on, and this power supply I got only a year and a half ago. I have the Antec 650W.

So now I turn to the motherboard, in which is 5+ years old, and is the original one that came with the Asus CM5570.

My 3 questions are this:

1. Im testing out another PSU tommorow before I leave, but from the sounds of it, am I right to think its a motherboard issue?

2. Assuming my PSU is fine, If I go out to get a motherboard, I dont want to really spend over 300 TOTAL. This includes getting the Ram for it (DDR3), and a new CPU. Which motherboard and processor combination would you suggest? Im a gamer, I use the Nvidia Geforce 560 TI graphics card, in which I purchased at the same time as my 650 Antec Power Supply.

3. Lastly, i've heard the motherboard is not the most important part in a computer build. If this is true, would it be better for me to get a better CPU and a cheaper motherboard, to go along with my graphics card and power supply I already have.

Ive been running a 2.6Ghz Dual Core CPU, so the new CPU I buy with the motherboard DOES NOT need to be anything extreme, I DO NOT overclock :) 

Thanks a lot guys. Could really use the help.

More about : decisions time

a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 3:00:12 AM

could very well be the motherboard.

no, motherboards don't need to be expensive unless your trying to break some world record or need tons of stuff that other people don't. last few boards i purchased were less than $100.

did you try the power supply from the machine that you hooked the keyboard to in the machine you're having troubles with?

be back with suggestions.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:04:10 AM

No, and thats what I was planning to do tommorow morning before leaving to get what I need. That will tell me for sure if its the motherboard or PSU. Id be surprised if it were the PSU though, I really thought I had a quality brand in Antec that would last atlest 5+ years.
m
l
Related resources
a c 249 V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 3:06:57 AM

1. I might suspect the psu, but Antec is reliable, and your psu may still be under warranty.

2. I would be reluctant to replace a 5 year old motherboard. It is probably time to upgrade.
What is your old cpu, and is it doing what you need it to do?

3. True, the more expensive motherboards do not help much, so long as it supports the cpu, and has the features you need.

With a budget of $300, you can probably replace your cpu, motherboard and ram with a much more capable set of products.
Do be aware that if your OS is an oem version, you may have to plead with ms to get it reactivated on a different motherboard.

If you live near a microcenter, they have some great deals on cpu's.
A i3-3220 will be <$100, 8gb ram is about $40, and a socket 1155 motherboard will be in the $50 range.
m
l
February 25, 2013 3:27:35 AM

Those are good suggestions you guys posted it seems, but I heard AMD were really good as well.

I know nothing about the Intel "i-" processors. Whats the difference between a i-3 and i-5? And I heard there is a i-7?

And Would you guys suggest intel over AMD?

m
l
February 25, 2013 3:27:43 AM

Processor wise, I would say the AMD FX4300 or FX6300 cpu
Motherboard wise, an Asus 970 or Gigabyte 970
Memory wise, DDR3 8GB (2X4GB) 1866Mhz
total should be around $260 plus tax.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 3:54:04 AM

I wouldn't piss money away on AMD "budget" stuff right now. it's way behind intel.
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:08:22 AM

Ok and you prefer the ASRock mobos then?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 4:13:29 AM

is the keyboard usb? have you tryed other ports> You can get a ok power supply for around 50 or less at the egg
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:15:00 AM

Yes, ive tried other ports, didnt work.

I tried another computer, it worked.
m
l
February 25, 2013 5:09:00 AM

aero412 said:
Ok and you prefer the ASRock mobos then?

The Asrock 970 Extreme 4 seems to be well liked , but Fry's does not sell it.
Newegg has it on sale for $82.99 (Free shipping).

Frys seem to have good prices on AMD cpus and memory right now.
m
l
February 25, 2013 5:47:33 AM

aero412 said:
Hey guys, I have 3 different questions. I am on my way tommorow to Frys to get new parts, so I dont have much time.

Ok so this is whats going on. Yesterday my computer was running fine until my keyboard randomly went out. I thought it was nothing, and restarted it, and it was fine.

Today the keyboard went out again. This time i restarted it, and this is what happens:

I turn the computer on, SOUNDS like it starts up normally, but I get NO power to my keyboard or mouse, and my monitor gets no display. I have hooked up the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to another computer and they work fine.

I thought it might be the power supply at first, but all the fans are running, the computer turns on, and this power supply I got only a year and a half ago. I have the Antec 650W.

So now I turn to the motherboard, in which is 5+ years old, and is the original one that came with the Asus CM5570.

My 3 questions are this:

1. Im testing out another PSU tommorow before I leave, but from the sounds of it, am I right to think its a motherboard issue?

2. Assuming my PSU is fine, If I go out to get a motherboard, I dont want to really spend over 300 TOTAL. This includes getting the Ram for it (DDR3), and a new CPU. Which motherboard and processor combination would you suggest? Im a gamer, I use the Nvidia Geforce 560 TI graphics card, in which I purchased at the same time as my 650 Antec Power Supply.

3. Lastly, i've heard the motherboard is not the most important part in a computer build. If this is true, would it be better for me to get a better CPU and a cheaper motherboard, to go along with my graphics card and power supply I already have.

Ive been running a 2.6Ghz Dual Core CPU, so the new CPU I buy with the motherboard DOES NOT need to be anything extreme, I DO NOT overclock :) 

Thanks a lot guys. Could really use the help.

Answer 1: From what is happening to you it could be either the motherboard or the PSU, this is where troubleshooting parts comes in. The first thing to do would be to swap a known good PSU into the faulty machine to see if that remedies the problem.

A2. I'll get to the part suggestions in a little bit here, but for now you should make sure to get an Ivy Bridge Intel processor (LGA 1155) and a motherboard that uses the Z77 chipset.

A3. This is really not true at all, the motherboard is the Grand Central Station of the computer and physically routes all traffic between the CPU/RAM/GPU and I/O. Sure, the motherboard has become less important as more and more parts that used to be on the motherboard have become integrated into the processor, however, the motherboard is the platform that you build on; if you get a good motherboard you can be assured that you'll most likely have a stable platform and not end up having to deal with faulty/DOA/dead in a month hardware. Having said all that, yes you can cheap out and buy a Biostar/ECS motherboard and dump your $$$ into a good CPU but it's not something I'd recommend to most users.
aero412 said:
No, and thats what I was planning to do tommorow morning before leaving to get what I need. That will tell me for sure if its the motherboard or PSU. Id be surprised if it were the PSU though, I really thought I had a quality brand in Antec that would last atlest 5+ years.

Speaking from experience, I've literally had an Antec PSU die on me after about a year of use. Yes it was surprising but faulty hardware can be found anywhere. Used to buy Antec, but I recently switched to Seasonic since my unit has a 7-year warranty.
aero412 said:
Those are good suggestions you guys posted it seems, but I heard AMD were really good as well.

I know nothing about the Intel "i-" processors. Whats the difference between a i-3 and i-5? And I heard there is a i-7?

And Would you guys suggest intel over AMD?

The difference between i3/i5/i7 processors are feature sets. An i3 processor has two physical cores and Hyper-Threading without AVX and only PCI-Express 2.0. An i5 processor has four physical cores but no Hyper-Threading with PCI-Express 3.0 and support for AVX extensions and hardware level AES encryption/decryption support. An i7 has the same features that I just mentioned the i5 has, with the exception that i7 processors also have Hyper-Threading. (note: this only applies to desktop Intel processors, the mobile lineup is different).

AMD processors can be good, however, they're honestly not something I'd recommend right now; which is sad, because I'm an AMD fanboy at heart.
swifty_morgan said:
I wouldn't piss money away on AMD "budget" stuff right now. it's way behind intel.

To be exact, AMD processors are roughly a generation behind Intel in terms of CPU performance. Whereas if we're talking about AMD's Trinity APUs it's the reverse: Intel's integrated graphics are about a generation behind AMD's.

Now, as for specific part recommendations. If you really have a hard $300 limit I'll change my recommendations, however, for $350 you can get a very nice system.
Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... )
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2013 6:09:22 AM

who's talking about on board graphics?

my old Q775 is quicker to transfer data than anything amd has.

lets not cloud the waters.

when you say generation.......... this isn't amd939 v pentium III 478................... ivy bridge and sandy bridge are way better than amd....... either the 1155/1156 or lga 2011.
m
l
February 25, 2013 4:32:13 PM

swifty_morgan said:
who's talking about on board graphics?

my old Q775 is quicker to transfer data than anything amd has.

lets not cloud the waters.

when you say generation.......... this isn't amd939 v pentium III 478................... ivy bridge and sandy bridge are way better than amd....... either the 1155/1156 or lga 2011.

I included the reference to integrated graphics simply for the OP's benefit. I'm not suggesting him to use integrated but a little extra knowledge is not a bad thing.

As for generations, I was specifically talking about the current generation of processors, Ivy Bridge vs. Piledriver/Trinity and if you read my post I nowhere said that AMD was better in CPU performance or recommended buying an AMD processor.
m
l
!