Your question

Should i try clocking this dino ?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2012 1:11:27 PM

Helo & any advice would a big help.
I've just installed the board asus m4n82 deluxe with my old athlon 64 x2 5000+ brisbane & it took me a long time as it was my first time. A good friend gave me a zalman 10x extreme for cooling & i've an old but working 4870 with a crossair tx650 psu & 4gb of ddr2.
My question is should i overclock cpu & how ? ( can i just raise fbs alone ) I will replace cpu/gpu if i EVER find
Again thx if you can help me get better performance from this bits n bobs machine..
I'm a REAL novice at all this....

More about : clocking dino

a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 1:26:11 PM

maself said:
Helo & any advice would a big help.
I've just installed the board asus m4n82 deluxe with my old athlon 64 x2 5000+ brisbane & it took me a long time as it was my first time. A good friend gave me a zalman 10x extreme for cooling & i've an old but working 4870 with a crossair tx650 psu & 4gb of ddr2.
My question is should i overclock cpu & how ? ( can i just raise fbs alone ) I will replace cpu/gpu if i EVER find
Again thx if you can help me get better performance from this bits n bobs machine..
I'm a REAL novice at all this....

Can't help your overclocking question but... You better hurry and grab a Phenom II while you can. because unless you plan to get a new Motherboard to, Phenom II is the best you can get right now... and AMD is discontinueing it...
Related resources
a c 98 à CPUs
April 16, 2012 4:00:22 PM

As far as gaming goes that 4870 is still a fairly capable GPU, I would Try and snag a Phenom II somehow and maybe another 4GB of RAM and you will be sitting just fine.
April 16, 2012 9:31:22 PM

Thanks for the advice guys,i've lifted fsb from 200 to 220 mhz just a little push but thats it.
Would this be overkill ? AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz Processor
Would this be good enough with upgraded gpu later & i'd want it long term ? AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz Processor.

a c 98 à CPUs
April 16, 2012 10:10:14 PM

maself said:
Thanks for the advice guys,i've lifted fsb from 200 to 220 mhz just a little push but thats it.
Would this be overkill ? AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz Processor
Would this be good enough with upgraded gpu later & i'd want it long term ? AMD Black Edition - AMD Phenom II X2 3.2 GHz Processor.

It would not make much sense for you to go from one dual core CPU to another. If you are considering a CPU change I would advise you to look at the 4 core Phenom II's as these CPU's will provide you with a very substantial boost in over all performance.

CPU Support list >> http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list.aspx?SLanguage=...

After reviewing this list I have found that you can run any phenom II CPU available. A couple I suggest are,

1. Phenom II 960T $124.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is not your regular quad core, it is built on a 6 core die and has an 80% chance of unlocking to a Phenom II 1606T 6 core CPU @ 3.0Ghz
I personally own this CPU and I love it. Hits 4+ Ghz on 4X and has the ability to hit 3.8Ghz as a 6X if I need it.

2. Phenom 965T $119.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is a good old "deneb" core Phenom II. With a stock clock of 3.4Ghz This CPU can handle most everything at stock settings, can OC to 4Ghz+ as well.
This CPU is built on a 4X die and WILL NOT UNLOCK to an X6. There are faster Phenom II's available but I recommend this one for the simple fact that black edition AMD cpu's have unlocked multipliers and it is EXTREMELY easy to adjust the speed of any Phenom II to the stock clocks of the most expensive (and highest clocked) Phenom II available (the 980T) while saving your self some cash.

April 18, 2012 10:58:43 PM

Thanks again for all the advice/help. Phenom II is the way to go either a 960t or 965t,which ever i get the best deal on.
a c 326 à CPUs
April 18, 2012 11:11:49 PM

The black edition Phenom II you posted about is equally as good. Most of the Phenom II's overclock to about the same point and with a black edition you don't have to putz around with the FSB, you just increase the multiplier.

If you can get it for a good price and from a reputable seller than I would say run with it.
a c 98 à CPUs
April 18, 2012 11:50:00 PM

Thanks, Please select a best answer and best of luck with your new Phenom II !
April 24, 2012 1:23:30 PM

Again thanks to all for the advice & i'm now watching for a new be phenom II.
I've been in bios & made these changes,need to know if i'm doing this right.
cpu ratio x13 / fsb 214 / pcie 100 / dram 713 / ht link 800. Should i set ht to 1000 & keep pushing fsb with x13 multi ?
Zalman is keeping temps for both cores at 44-45 & max 52-51 wuth prime95.