Sign in with
Your question

Noob looking for opinions on my gaming build.

Last response: in Systems
January 5, 2012 4:00:14 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Friday (January 6)

Budget Range: $800-$850

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Programming, Watching Blurays, Web Surfing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I was going to buy from Newegg, but after checking Circuit City I can get everything from there for cheaper.

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, AMD Graphics

Overclocking: Slight OC on the CPU (about 4.2-4.4ish)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future (maybe within 1 year or slightly after 1 year?)

Monitor Resolution: 1080p

Additional Comments: So I decided to sell my current PC to help pay for this one and it sold way faster than I thought it would so I'm buying just enough to have a running PC right now. (Hence the $800 budget) Right now the components I'm looking at are (with newegg links because they're more informational):

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Link
i5 2500k Link
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600 LP Link
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Link
NZXT Phantom Full Tower Link
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM Link
Corsair TX850M Link
2x 120mm Xion Alphawing Blue LED fans (1 for rear exhaust 1 for CPU HSF)
1x 140mm Xion Alphawing Blue LED fan (For front intake)
I may add on the Bluray player (I have to see how big my check is this week)
And possible a couple Blue cathodes.

The additions I will be making after I get the money are:
HD 6970 or 7970 depending on the pricing and availability
If I didn't already get the Bluray player I'll get that
Possibly a 128GB SSD (way later as I'm not bothered by current loading speeds)
Like I said I may add a second GPU much later
Going to buy the windowed side panel for the case from NZXT and I'll probably get a PCI slot cooler when I do that to keep some cooling on my GPU(s)

Do you see any compatibility issues I may have overlooked? Is there anywhere I can save a few bucks without sacrificing (much) quality? Overall what is your opinion on this build?

January 5, 2012 5:00:32 PM

check the hyper 212 , i think it wont fit on the phantom because you have a fan in there .
m
l
January 5, 2012 5:28:54 PM

I'm going to get the windowed side panel from NZXT which doesnt have the fan mount so I'll be good there.
m
l
Related resources
January 5, 2012 7:03:38 PM

Corsair vengeance is too high, you may have problems with imstalling the heatsink. Get G.Skill Ripjaws.
m
l
January 5, 2012 7:22:02 PM

It's the low profile version. Besides isn't the Ripjaws heatsink as tall as the Vengeance heat sink.
m
l
!