ATI 5870 vs Dual 560's

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Ok any way considering how there is allot of speculation about the actual release date of 7000 and 600 series respectfully i am assuming that
both of those would be Q1 2012 which could mean as late as march/april 2012. So here's the following question right now i am using the following setup:

I7 920 3GHZ H50WC
Gygabite UD5 ver 1 1366
12GB DDR 1600MHZ 3x6 GB Dominator + 3x6GB OCZ Gold CLS 8
ATI 5870 1GB + Arctic Accelero Xtreme (oc'ed by about 15% )
HAF 922 Case with all possible fans.

Any way here's what i am curious about considering that allot of game titles are coming out or are already out right now i am quite afraid that my 5870
just won't be able to pull off the ultra settings i need to continue living my life. So i was wondering considering how i won't be spending the 1500 bucks untill
at least January February would knocking off 250 for 2x 560's to replace my 5870 would that give me any significant performance boost over the single card.
Assuming i do not change the stock cooler to oc em . And also does anyone have any info on the actual release date of the mysterious 600 cards or are they still shrouded
in their vale of secrecy.

2x560's for 250? Are we talking about pesos? You didn't even put a currency mark to denote what currency your referring to. Since this is an English forum I am assuming you mean DOLLARS, POUNDS or EUROS.

Of course 2-560's would be much faster than 1 5870. Depending on what games, I don't see any problem with running the latest games on a 5870, depending on what resolution your talking about running, which by the way you failed to mention.

I plan on rocking BF3 with my 5850 at 1680x1050, no plans or reason to upgrade now.

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011

Indeed completely right i forgot to put a currency mark or mention the resolution.

the 260 is in euro's assuming i can get the second one from a friend. For about half the usual price which is 160 euro for the normal model. And
the resolution i am planning to use is 1920x1080 problem is i feel the need to play on ultra do you think i can pull off ultra in the upcoming games.
aka ( Skyrim, Assassin's creed, Saints row, MW3, Darksiders 2) well basically anything coming out from now to april 2012

Current speculation is the low and mid range cards of the HD7000 series will be released in about a month. Mid range of the new series should be about on par with the current high end cards, aka HD6950/70. Whether the current rumors are true however is another question entirely.

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I have no doubt that the faster cards would be released first however due to the lack of information about the HD7000 series i am rather doubtful that they will come out this year. I think it will be Q1 2012. Not to mention that upon release they will pretty much be bought out and they will be on back order for about 2 weeks like the 5xxx were. And wouldn't it be a bad idea to upgrade considering the new CPU's are coming out Q1 2012 as well might as well just go the whole way with an upgrade.

The high end of the HD7000 series(HD7950/70) are a new architecture. The lower end and mid-range cards are a die shrink of the current architecture and yeah, they are very likely to be released first.

The HD6850/70 are the midrange cards of the series... doesn't fit with what you are saying.

lol OP you want to play console ports on ultra!? :lol: you are fine with what you have in my opinion...

If you were going to play BF3 with all the eyecandy then id suggest the upgrade but for

Skyrim, Assassin's creed, Saints row, MW3, Darksiders 2

I seriously doubt that you cant max them as it is... like jyjjy said.

Id consider saving your money if console ports are your thing.

sorry... did you run out of things to ask for, for Christmas?

for me BF3 is more then playable at 1920X1200 with a single oc'ed gtx 560ti with no aa... I get no lower then 60fps

being that the 560ti is roughly in the ballpark of a 5870 I dont see why you good not eek out similar performance with a nice oc even in a demanding game.

So not to poke fun of you but honestly if you are not going to play more demanding games then id stick with what you got for now.

yeah not following you here, maybe its a typo but 68XX was released first and then 69XX, might have been true for the 4 and 5 series I forget but I guess the six series broke that trend!?

Shallowmist

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
Crossfire won't work so well for me if i pair the 5870's in the HAF922 even though it has excellent cooling it is rather unefficient for these cards. Due to the power supply being down i can't space them up so they have to rest ontop of each other. Using HAF 922 as watercooling for the CPU with full range of fans and 5870's on stock cooler no overclocking i had about 50/70 degree normal operating tempereture of the cards.

Contrary to the 35/40 i get now with the aftermarket cooler. I know the cards are designed to work to a tempereture far exceeding 70 but i am no way near comfortable with the heat generated. The CPU tempereture rose by 5/10 as well as did all other hardware tempereture. So i was dus forced to return one of the 5870 than i got an aftermarket cooler for my single card which reduced it by about 20 degree than i overclocked it a little no voltage clock however.

When i bought the pc i think it was 2010 Q1 i had an Asrock supercomputer board so i did a minor CPU overclock which it should have handled perfetly, unfortunetly i had a faulty motherboard it burned like hell none of my other hardware was damaged and i bought a Gygabite UD5 even though i got an REMA for the Asrock i will never buy asrock again btw. But at any rate ever since that burnout incident i am not very happy with the condition the hardware is in so i try not to tax it too much in fear that it may crash. I think it was sheer luck i didn't burn any of the other hardware just the bord. So for me pairing them is not an option + they aren't sold anymore except by users and i dislike buying second hand stuff from suspecious websites