Which is a better upgrade?

dlux

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I just rebuilt my computer a bit last week and got a random newegg gift card that I need to spend now.

What I now have:

Intel i5-2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 gig DDR3 1600
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus cooler
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU
Sapphire AMD 6850
WD Caviar blue 500 gig HD
Windows 7 64 bit

My question is: I think I have a pretty solid system as it is, plays games real well (BF3, SW:TOR) would I benefit more from a SSD or another 6850 to put into crossfire? Any other suggestions would suffice as well.

Thank you for your time.

You would benefit MUCH more from an SSD than an CF setup, besides the HD68xx series have known CF issues, micro-stuttering.
Other than that input you got a solid build.

I am just not a Gigabyte fan after the X79 chipset fiasco.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
It depends. SSD won't help you to achieve faster fps. Only help to load faster. Computer usage will have a great upgrade!

Another video card won't make your computer quicker for common tasks, but, c'mon... almost double the fps in a game like BF3? This is the difference from try to max it out, and actually max it out with good fps.

My opinion: I don't have problem waiting my windows to boot up, and to wait my applications to load. But I do care about my gaming quality. I would go to VGA.

dlux

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

Yeah, I didn't read about that until after I had ordered the motherboard. My previous mobo was a gigabyte and I never had issues with it so I stuck with it. Luckily I didn't pick that chipset. Thank you for your input.

Aureamonte

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I think the better choice would be to get a second GPU if you are more into the gaming side. That said, if you don't game that much go with an SSD. Your everyday stuff will just be that little bit faster.

dlux

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

That's a good question. I suppose I would take either or. Both would be beneficial in their own right. I guess I don't prefer one over the other and desire outside opinion.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I would go with the SSD.

Especially considering you're fine with the frames you're getting in your current games (Specifically BF3.)

There's little reason to upgrade to CF if you don't actively need the power... Mainly because the prices will drop later on this year anyway when the new cards get released.

And of course, SSD's are FAST. Even if you just use it for your boot drive. Think of the seconds of your life you'll be saving!