Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Amd 960t B.E. OC

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2012 6:10:06 PM

i have a 960t b.e. that needs OC to 3.9ghz. i have OC before and i know my way around. the problem i have when i overclock to 4.0 ghz or 3.8ghz. prime fail with in two min of testing. temps are very cool becasue i have a water cooler. what would i need to tweak to get a stable OC. i have a ga-970a-ud3 broad bios ver f5h beta. just to note i ran prime 95 for 11/2 hours and i past. so i know it just some setting that i need to fine tune. any one with knowlegde of OC can help thanks again. if you need to know my ram. i have four drr3 pny running.

More about : amd 960t

April 16, 2012 6:13:53 PM

Please list your specs.

What voltage are you using at 3.8?

You say you know what you're doing when it comes to OCing, why are you asking here then?
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 6:20:10 PM

Did you remember to increase the NB Frequency when you OC'd? If you didnt thats likely why
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 6:49:11 PM

Try increasing the CPU-NB link to around 2600Mhz and 1.25-1.3v on the NB.
The Thubans will overclock very nicely but they are definitely a little pickier than the Denebs.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 8:39:26 PM

Have you unlocked to a an X6, or is it still an X4?

Some weird stuff with the 960's - under x4 my was was 3.6, under X6, my max was 3.8..

But bear in mind, as stated, that Overclock isn't worth it unless you OC your Northbridge as well, and don't forget to watch your voltage/temps. Max safe temp for the 960 is 65degC.
April 16, 2012 10:00:23 PM

Graphite946 said:
Please list your specs.

What voltage are you using at 3.8?

You say you know what you're doing when it comes to OCing, why are you asking here then?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name STEVEN-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-970A-UD3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 960T Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5h, 3/23/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name steven-PC\steven
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.0 GB
Page File Space 512 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
and the volts i am using is 0.300 v. i am ok when it comes to OCing but still have lots to learn you should know that it take years to become a pro. i need to get the right tweak so prime can run right. prime runs good when the system is on normal but when i OC to 3.8 or more it fails within two min. do you need more system spec please let me know.
April 16, 2012 10:02:16 PM

wr6133 said:
Did you remember to increase the NB Frequency when you OC'd? If you didnt thats likely why

yes i did prime fail at two min of running it. i will check again to make sure i increase it right maybe not enough volts. i will let you know
April 16, 2012 10:05:50 PM

teh_gerbil said:
Have you unlocked to a an X6, or is it still an X4?

Some weird stuff with the 960's - under x4 my was was 3.6, under X6, my max was 3.8..

But bear in mind, as stated, that Overclock isn't worth it unless you OC your Northbridge as well, and don't forget to watch your voltage/temps. Max safe temp for the 960 is 65degC.

no its a x4. i want to unlock to a x6 but i believe i have to do extra tweaks to get the x6 core unlock. if you know please let me know my broad is a ga-970a-ud3 hmm maybe i should see if 3.6 stay stable
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 10:43:53 PM

You should not have to adjust anything other than enabling "CPU Unlock" in your BIOS. For simplicities sake I would recommend setting all OC settings back to stock before attempting to unlock. If you have any issues at that point try disabling all the extra stuff (C1E, CnQ etc.. etc..)
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 11:53:29 PM

cmi86 said:
You should not have to adjust anything other than enabling "CPU Unlock" in your BIOS. For simplicities sake I would recommend setting all OC settings back to stock before attempting to unlock. If you have any issues at that point try disabling all the extra stuff (C1E, CnQ etc.. etc..)

+1.

If you can't go over 3.6 (and you simply may not be able to)

Then it's as easy as enabling the disabled cores to get a further speed boost - 6x cores @ 3.6 is better at most things that 4x cores @ 3.6!

a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 12:15:31 AM

teh_gerbil said:
+1.

If you can't go over 3.6 (and you simply may not be able to)

Then it's as easy as enabling the disabled cores to get a further speed boost - 6x cores @ 3.6 is better at most things that 4x cores @ 3.6!

Idk 3.6 is pretty darn weak for a 960T, I'd have to be more inclined to think he just needs a little more tweaking. I guess it's possible, that would have to be one REALLY REALLY low binned chip lol.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 12:55:33 AM

Indeed.

smiley12: What are your FSB, multiplier and NB frequencies?

Take photo of bios settings page and upload here if necessary, it will greatly assist us with ascertaining what's wrong.
April 17, 2012 1:30:43 AM

teh_gerbil said:
Indeed.

smiley12: What are your FSB, multiplier and NB frequencies?

Take photo of bios settings page and upload here if necessary, it will greatly assist us with ascertaining what's wrong.

He couldn't give me the core voltage info when I asked, I doubt he will be back with this information.

Of course, this is after he told us he knew his way around overclocking....
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 3:24:01 AM

@ Graphite946,

Indeed, I am however hoping he can comply as what I am thinking may have happened is he bumped his FSB up, without editing his multiplier which has resulting in his hitting a high NB frequency, castrating the CPU frequency.
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 9:19:52 AM

Try this to hit 3.8

Turn of CnQ, C1E AND Turbo Boost

multiplier - X19
NB - X13 (2600mhz)
FSB - 200
HT Link - X10 (2000mhz)

Prime95 those settings. If there is any instability at stock voltage slowly increase the volts prime95 after each increase until you find a stable setting. If this works then slowly raise the multiplier testing after each increase to ensure its stable. To hit 4.0GHZ you may need to increase the NB a little more.

Ensure you do all the above in the BIOS .... NOT in windows using gigabyte easytune
April 17, 2012 3:55:54 PM

lol how do i post my screen shot so you can see my system spec. i have taken a snap shot but i do not know how to post them on tom hardware. just for a updare i hit 3.8 easy with what wr6133 stated. i ran prime for 1hr and passed the test. temps was around 38c i beleave i could go higher to 4.0 . some one please, let me know how to post, so i could post my bioss spec. it would be easy to do becasue i have touch bios by gigabyte
April 17, 2012 4:01:59 PM

Graphite946 said:
He couldn't give me the core voltage info when I asked, I doubt he will be back with this information.

Of course, this is after he told us he knew his way around overclocking....

lol you are some what of a funny guy . vcore volts are 1.42 with 38c for a temp running 3.8 oc. need to hit 4.0 or better. i think my system can. if you can tell me how to psot screen shots, then i will give you what you want. cheers
April 17, 2012 4:03:33 PM

thanks again for alll who help me with my oc problem
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 4:05:20 PM

best way is to upload the shot to photbucket and link it here
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 7:43:06 PM

Ok, @Smiley12, at what application did you use to edit your voltage settings?

Can you please reboot your machine, and press DEL to enter BIOS.

Once in there (And for the love of god, I take NO responsibility of what you do in here!)

Press 'CTRL' + F1 keys together. This will 'unlock' "Advanced chipset features" If you did not know about this, to be frank you shouldn't be playing, as they (Gigabyte) hide the most sensitive settings for a reason.

In there, you can set the settings as per wr6133 excellent advice.

If you have any difficulties, leave it, take a photo on your cellphone or camera and upload here, and we can tell you exactly what things should look like.
April 17, 2012 8:54:01 PM

teh_gerbil said:
Ok, @Smiley12, at what application did you use to edit your voltage settings?

Can you please reboot your machine, and press DEL to enter BIOS.

Once in there (And for the love of god, I take NO responsibility of what you do in here!)

Press 'CTRL' + F1 keys together. This will 'unlock' "Advanced chipset features" If you did not know about this, to be frank you shouldn't be playing, as they (Gigabyte) hide the most sensitive settings for a reason.

In there, you can set the settings as per wr6133 excellent advice.

If you have any difficulties, leave it, take a photo on your cellphone or camera and upload here, and we can tell you exactly what things should look like.

i edit my voltage in bios. i dont like programs becasue it is not a ture OC. only thing that was in advanced chipset was sb spread spectrum. and that will not help me meet my goal that i had in mind. i am woking on a snap shot
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 9:10:25 PM

Ok sweet as, so they say, a screenshot is worth a thousand posts :D 
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 10:11:54 PM

Hm, according to your CPU-Z you've done everything right, but it's not stable at this?
a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 10:22:48 PM

smiley12 said:
http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u395/smily126/?albu.... here are some of my bios setting from gigabyte touch bios.

According to your BIOS your voltage is WAY too high and your CPU frequency is 225 so in order to get your 3.8 means your CPU multi is set at 17 but in your BIOS says set to auto, which is completely different from what your CPU-Z and you said. I'm just a little lost is all.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 17, 2012 10:50:46 PM

Oh LORD. STOP. STOP NOW.

According to your BIOS you are mutilating your CPU. Please, please STOP!

That Voltage will be very quickly killing your CPU,

As I suspected, your 225 multiplier is setting your NB to Overclock wayy to much, I daresay over 3GHX, which wil becausing your CPU OC to fail.

Dude, please, please for your beloved CPU sake, Clear your CMOS, and follow the instructions we provided.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2012 1:54:17 AM

teh_gerbil said:
Oh LORD. STOP. STOP NOW.

According to your BIOS you are mutilating your CPU. Please, please STOP!

That Voltage will be very quickly killing your CPU,

As I suspected, your 225 multiplier is setting your NB to Overclock wayy to much, I daresay over 3GHX, which wil becausing your CPU OC to fail.

Dude, please, please for your beloved CPU sake, Clear your CMOS, and follow the instructions we provided.

He must have some BADASS RAM to even boot at 225 :p 
April 18, 2012 4:36:00 PM

cmi86 said:
According to your BIOS your voltage is WAY too high and your CPU frequency is 225 so in order to get your 3.8 means your CPU multi is set at 17 but in your BIOS says set to auto, which is completely different from what your CPU-Z and you said. I'm just a little lost is all.

i will take a phone pic today of my bios
April 18, 2012 4:37:30 PM

teh_gerbil said:
Hm, according to your CPU-Z you've done everything right, but it's not stable at this?

ya i have not crash yet and i ran prime 95 for 1 hour with out crash. but some one said my bios are missed up hmmmmmmmmmm
April 18, 2012 4:40:08 PM

teh_gerbil said:

ya it stable i think. but i dont know what program to trust.
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2012 6:06:56 PM

For 4GHZ just push the multiplier to X20

Test for stability with prime95 and watch the temperatures.

If it's unstable you may need to increase voltage SLIGHTLY. If a small voltage boost doesnt make it stable you may need to push the NB up a bit more. Word of warning though the NB gets VERY hot pushing it too high can shorten the life of your mobo alot.

I think 4GHZ is a psychological thing largely. We all love hitting that figure but to be honest my normal day to day overclock is 3.8GHZ as its still more than fast enough and it requires pushing things less hard. I see a 2FPS gain in BF3 at 4GHZ compared to 3.8GHZ... 2 FPS is nothing, I'd rather be at 3.8GHZ and not have the extra noise of an extra fan blasting air on my NB heatsink.

I dont know what games you play but if you play BF3 you will have more grunt unlocked to 6 cores (if yours does that stable) and OC'd to 3.8GHZ (nothing needs hard pushing to do this) than you will at 4 cores at 4GHZ

Try unlocking and using the 3.8 settings that would be my next move if i was you. If thats all stable and you really want then try to hit 4GHZ on the 6 cores. If the 6 are not stable then revert back to 4 cores and carry on with the OC
April 18, 2012 7:44:58 PM

2509721,36,1119689 said:
For 4GHZ just push the multiplier to X20

Test for stability with prime95 and watch the temperatures.

If it's unstable you may need to increase voltage SLIGHTLY. If a small voltage boost doesnt make it stable you may need to push the NB up a bit more. Word of warning though the NB gets VERY hot pushing it too high can shorten the life of your mobo alot.

I think 4GHZ is a psychological thing largely. We all love hitting that figure but to be honest my normal day to day overclock is 3.8GHZ as its still more than fast enough and it requires pushing things less hard. I see a 2FPS gain in BF3 at 4GHZ compared to 3.8GHZ... 2 FPS is nothing, I'd rather be at 3.8GHZ and not have the extra noise of an extra fan blasting air on my NB heatsink.

I dont know what games you play but if you play BF3 you will have more grunt unlocked to 6 cores (if yours does that stable) and OC'd to 3.8GHZ (nothing needs hard pushing to do this) than you will at 4 cores at 4GHZ

Try unlocking and using the 3.8 settings that would be my next move if i was you. If thats all stable and you really want then try to hit 4GHZ on the 6 cores. If the 6 are not stable then revert back to 4 cores and carry on with the OC[/quo BF3 is the reason why i am doing this. is there any special thing i need to unlock the two extra core on my amd 960t
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2012 8:15:42 PM

Just enable unlock the cores from BIOS. Prime95 then they may not be stable
April 20, 2012 2:28:00 PM

Best answer selected by smiley12.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 20, 2012 7:44:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!