Amd 960t B.E. OC

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
i have a 960t b.e. that needs OC to 3.9ghz. i have OC before and i know my way around. the problem i have when i overclock to 4.0 ghz or 3.8ghz. prime fail with in two min of testing. temps are very cool becasue i have a water cooler. what would i need to tweak to get a stable OC. i have a ga-970a-ud3 broad bios ver f5h beta. just to note i ran prime 95 for 11/2 hours and i past. so i know it just some setting that i need to fine tune. any one with knowlegde of OC can help thanks again. if you need to know my ram. i have four drr3 pny running.

Solution
Oh LORD. STOP. STOP NOW.

According to your BIOS you are mutilating your CPU. Please, please STOP!

That Voltage will be very quickly killing your CPU,

As I suspected, your 225 multiplier is setting your NB to Overclock wayy to much, I daresay over 3GHX, which wil becausing your CPU OC to fail.

Dude, please, please for your beloved CPU sake, Clear your CMOS, and follow the instructions we provided.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Have you unlocked to a an X6, or is it still an X4?

Some weird stuff with the 960's - under x4 my was was 3.6, under X6, my max was 3.8..

But bear in mind, as stated, that Overclock isn't worth it unless you OC your Northbridge as well, and don't forget to watch your voltage/temps. Max safe temp for the 960 is 65degC.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name STEVEN-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-970A-UD3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 960T Processor, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F5h, 3/23/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name steven-PC\steven
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.9 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.0 GB
Page File Space 512 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
and the volts i am using is 0.300 v. i am ok when it comes to OCing but still have lots to learn you should know that it take years to become a pro. i need to get the right tweak so prime can run right. prime runs good when the system is on normal but when i OC to 3.8 or more it fails within two min. do you need more system spec please let me know.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

yes i did prime fail at two min of running it. i will check again to make sure i increase it right maybe not enough volts. i will let you know

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

no its a x4. i want to unlock to a x6 but i believe i have to do extra tweaks to get the x6 core unlock. if you know please let me know my broad is a ga-970a-ud3 hmm maybe i should see if 3.6 stay stable

cmi86

Distinguished
You should not have to adjust anything other than enabling "CPU Unlock" in your BIOS. For simplicities sake I would recommend setting all OC settings back to stock before attempting to unlock. If you have any issues at that point try disabling all the extra stuff (C1E, CnQ etc.. etc..)

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

+1.

If you can't go over 3.6 (and you simply may not be able to)

Then it's as easy as enabling the disabled cores to get a further speed boost - 6x cores @ 3.6 is better at most things that 4x cores @ 3.6!

cmi86

Distinguished

Idk 3.6 is pretty darn weak for a 960T, I'd have to be more inclined to think he just needs a little more tweaking. I guess it's possible, that would have to be one REALLY REALLY low binned chip lol.

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

He couldn't give me the core voltage info when I asked, I doubt he will be back with this information.

Of course, this is after he told us he knew his way around overclocking....

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
@ Graphite946,

Indeed, I am however hoping he can comply as what I am thinking may have happened is he bumped his FSB up, without editing his multiplier which has resulting in his hitting a high NB frequency, castrating the CPU frequency.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012
Try this to hit 3.8

Turn of CnQ, C1E AND Turbo Boost

multiplier - X19
NB - X13 (2600mhz)
FSB - 200
HT Link - X10 (2000mhz)

Prime95 those settings. If there is any instability at stock voltage slowly increase the volts prime95 after each increase until you find a stable setting. If this works then slowly raise the multiplier testing after each increase to ensure its stable. To hit 4.0GHZ you may need to increase the NB a little more.

Ensure you do all the above in the BIOS .... NOT in windows using gigabyte easytune

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
lol how do i post my screen shot so you can see my system spec. i have taken a snap shot but i do not know how to post them on tom hardware. just for a updare i hit 3.8 easy with what wr6133 stated. i ran prime for 1hr and passed the test. temps was around 38c i beleave i could go higher to 4.0 . some one please, let me know how to post, so i could post my bioss spec. it would be easy to do becasue i have touch bios by gigabyte

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

lol you are some what of a funny guy . vcore volts are 1.42 with 38c for a temp running 3.8 oc. need to hit 4.0 or better. i think my system can. if you can tell me how to psot screen shots, then i will give you what you want. cheers

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok, @Smiley12, at what application did you use to edit your voltage settings?

Can you please reboot your machine, and press DEL to enter BIOS.

Once in there (And for the love of god, I take NO responsibility of what you do in here!)

Press 'CTRL' + F1 keys together. This will 'unlock' "Advanced chipset features" If you did not know about this, to be frank you shouldn't be playing, as they (Gigabyte) hide the most sensitive settings for a reason.

In there, you can set the settings as per wr6133 excellent advice.

If you have any difficulties, leave it, take a photo on your cellphone or camera and upload here, and we can tell you exactly what things should look like.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

i edit my voltage in bios. i dont like programs becasue it is not a ture OC. only thing that was in advanced chipset was sb spread spectrum. and that will not help me meet my goal that i had in mind. i am woking on a snap shot

Status
Not open for further replies.