Hi,

I have some hesitations concerning my new build:

CPU: i5 2500k
Mobo: Sabertooth P67
Memory: G SKill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Graphics: EVGA GTX 580
PSU: Corsair AX850
Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper
CPU cooler: Stock HSF right now but planning to buy a Corsair Hydro Series soon (still hesitating between 80 or 100).

Also, I have yet to choose a 120 GB SSD for Windows and games/applications (would use some help over here as well) and am using a 2TB WD Caviar Green for storage.

So here's the deal, all the parts I first mentioned are already bought but the Sabertooth P67 was DOA so I'm sending it back to the seller for a refund/replacement. I was wondering if the Maximus IV Gene-Z which is a bit cheaper would be a better choice or if I should stick with the P67 board.

Here's what to consider:

1. This build being used solely for gaming, I plan to do some overclocking, but nothing extreme push-to-the-limit kind of OC. I want stable performance. I don't really need any of the Z68 features like SSD caching, and I still have doubts about PCIE 3.0.

2. 6 SATA ports is enough for me.

3. I'm also not so sure about SLI on the Maximus because of the mATX form factor.

So,

Sabertooth P67 vs Maximus IV Gene-Z, and also some tips on choosing a good SSD would be appreciated.

armand_h

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hi fafalepro!

All ROG products are overclock friendly! so if you want to overclock your system go for ROG! and Maximus IV Gene-Z can handle up to 2200MHz which is more than sabertooth (1886Mhz)! and if i where you I bought myself ASUS 580 MATRIX! you'll pay 30$ more but it worth it! awesome card! you dont need second VGA! i have an asus 6970 dircet CU and i'm very happy with it! i can overclock GPU up to 1GHz and memory up to 1500mhz @ 1.25 volt. :)

Corsair AX850 is a wise choice ! :)

Memorys are fine but there is a better option! same model only @ 1866MHz (60$)
or G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) @2133MHz (75$)

and about SSD's you can buy your self sandforce controller based SSD's if reliability doesn't matter otherwise go with samsung 830 128gb or corsair performance pro 128gb!

I have to say that i real world use you will not notice difference between SSD's performance! :)

and Z68 handles better SSD's than P67! :)