Hi,

I have some hesitations concerning my new build:

CPU: i5 2500k
Mobo: Sabertooth P67
Memory: G SKill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Graphics: EVGA GTX 580
PSU: Corsair AX850
Case: Cooler Master Storm Sniper
CPU cooler: Stock HSF right now but planning to buy a Corsair Hydro Series soon (still hesitating between 80 or 100).

Also, I have yet to choose a 120 GB SSD for Windows and games/applications (would use some help over here as well) and am using a 2TB WD Caviar Green for storage.

So here's the deal, all the parts I first mentioned are already bought but the Sabertooth P67 was DOA so I'm sending it back to the seller for a refund/replacement. I was wondering if the Maximus IV Gene-Z which is a bit cheaper would be a better choice or if I should stick with the P67 board.

Here's what to consider:

1. This build being used solely for gaming, I plan to do some overclocking, but nothing extreme push-to-the-limit kind of OC. I want stable performance. I don't really need any of the Z68 features like SSD caching, and I still have doubts about PCIE 3.0.

2. 6 SATA ports is enough for me.

3. I'm also not so sure about SLI on the Maximus because of the mATX form factor.

So,

Sabertooth P67 vs Maximus IV Gene-Z, and also some tips on choosing a good SSD would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about sabertooth maximus gene choosing
  1. Hi fafalepro!

All ROG products are overclock friendly! so if you want to overclock your system go for ROG! and Maximus IV Gene-Z can handle up to 2200MHz which is more than sabertooth (1886Mhz)! and if i where you I bought myself ASUS 580 MATRIX! you'll pay 30$ more but it worth it! awesome card! you dont need second VGA! i have an asus 6970 dircet CU and i'm very happy with it! i can overclock GPU up to 1GHz and memory up to 1500mhz @ 1.25 volt. :)

Corsair AX850 is a wise choice ! :)

Memorys are fine but there is a better option! same model only @ 1866MHz (60$)
    or G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) @2133MHz (75$)

and about SSD's you can buy your self sandforce controller based SSD's if reliability doesn't matter otherwise go with samsung 830 128gb or corsair performance pro 128gb!

I have to say that i real world use you will not notice difference between SSD's performance! :)

and Z68 handles better SSD's than P67! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Sabertooth SSD Systems Product