Home media server

Sweep14

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Looking to build myself a home media server to stream mainly movies to my xbox 360 and various computers throught the house some will be in full 1080p hd.

hoping to keep the build under $200 before hdd was looking at running Ubuntu server with an intel atom D525. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131731

Just wondering if this will have enough power to stream hd video and what amount of ram to pair with it. Also how much of an impact will the speed of the hard drive make when streaming the video?

Thanks in andvance.

tlmck

Distinguished
It should be fine. I would go ahead and load it up with the max 4gb memory since the video can use all it can get. This will still leave plenty for Ubuntu or even Windows Server if you went that way. Just note that this board uses DDR3 800 laptop ram. Not really an issue. Just don't buy desktop ram by mistake.

Also, just to throw it out there, the AMD E-350 board has better video than the Intel, and it uses often less expensive desktop ram. The CPU is just as good as ATOM also.