Sign in with
Your question

68-pin SCSI to USB converter

Last response: in Components
April 16, 2012 8:03:52 PM

I need a 68-pin SCSI to USB converter to retreive my data from my old hard drive to my new one

More about : pin scsi usb converter

April 16, 2012 9:17:02 PM

Hi :) 

If the old scsi drive was INTERNAL , I dont think it possible, as the only USB adaptors we ever sold in my shops needed power and termination at the drive end...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
April 16, 2012 9:17:57 PM

Hi :) 

Oops forgot to add...that applied to both 50 and 68 pin scsi...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2012 9:29:21 PM

As you've no doubt noticed, these are like hen's teeth...

The only place I know of that sells anything like this is Kalea Informatique in France who have a USB-SCSI HD50 cable ( http://www.kalea-informatique.com/mag/fr/product-290899... ). They sell through Amazon, as well as direct. You'd have to use a narrow-to-wide SCSI converter as well to connect the 50-way male connector on the cable to the 68-way female connector on the hard disk drive.

You might be better off getting a cheap SCSI card on eBay.

Stephen
m
l
April 17, 2012 12:00:26 AM

This is why I keep old comps around for data recovery, many shops and data recovery businesses do the same and usually isn't expensive but takes up space :/ 
m
l
April 21, 2012 2:44:10 AM

molletts said:
As you've no doubt noticed, these are like hen's teeth...

The only place I know of that sells anything like this is Kalea Informatique in France who have a USB-SCSI HD50 cable ( http://www.kalea-informatique.com/mag/fr/product-290899... ). They sell through Amazon, as well as direct. You'd have to use a narrow-to-wide SCSI converter as well to connect the 50-way male connector on the cable to the 68-way female connector on the hard disk drive.

You might be better off getting a cheap SCSI card on eBay.

Stephen

Thanks I will check it out. Just want to connect to the female 68-pin SCSI to the USB of new computer to copy data from it to new computer. The old hard is removed from the old computer.
m
l
November 10, 2012 8:29:58 PM

Der sir;
I need cable adaptor to conect a 25-pin female scsi connector to usb (preferible female terminal)
m
l
October 4, 2013 10:06:07 AM

old post, but im doing this for a guy "DANE" in Fixya, and his forum is bad for running answers. for is old SCSI-3 HDD 1080s. single rail, not DIFF.
this will probably scare him off....
solution 1: (you said USB) and is a great dream, no lie....

Adaptec 1856600 ( see this?, and as you see they were expensive and the few old and used are rare and expensive too. (only a few ever made)
hens teeth, why spend $80? if at all possible. (none on ebay at the moment) and will NOT get better. it's a RELIC.

and why not say , this is a one shot deal or not.? surely it is, 10year old drives are no good, some even bearing freeze up parked too long, ?

my friend is using a 1gb SCSI 3, HDD drive. Quantum 1080S
the best way to do this is look inside your desk top.
see that last legacy, PCI slot, (my 2 new ASUS M5s have it) , so I got to my attic and pull out 3 Adaptec (best brand) I love Asus !
and 2940 and a 29160 work.
power off.
1: you plug in the drive to the 5/12v molex in your system. yes, it does need power, just like all HDD, even SSD. no power, no memory.

2: You plug in the Adaptec card into any relic PCI slot. ( i even have the aha1542CF card for isa, just in case ) I'd not try to go back in time to ISA , why?

3: i set the jumpers on the drive for termination. (take great care to get this right)
terms are best at the end of the bus. Drive end. SCSI uses a PARALLEL terminated (active) bus. and will get real noisy fast with out it right (fact)

4: the drive may not have termination power, if not, use termpower jumper on the PCI card. the terms must have power, read the data sheets on both parts.
My PCI card is programmable for termpower, this cards 29xx and are vast in number world wide, (read cheap and used) many servers ran these.

5: Do you miss SATA yet? ok set and address on the drive ,say #1 . I see auto spin, on the HDD , i jumper that too... (some have very tiny jumpers!!!)

6: keep in mind, this PCI card now has its own bios. and is called up with Control A. (as you boot, it has a message there, as you boot, look for it)

7: power up the system, the drive, it must be heard to spin up. it many not, due to jumpers. or the PCI card bios needs to have autospin set.
No spin, no joy....
8: ok it spins, so you then do Control+A, and look there, and behold you see your drive. IT'S ALIVE. that screen is like an early PNP , see it?

Do not format, it using this card. (this is low level format,unlike dos/windoz format)
btw , some systems, use unique formatting SUN/Apple,/Atari/apple ? so if you dont know what format it had or what card was connected to your HDD long ago, it may be impossible to find out now. ( but we will pretend here , you are lucky) all looks good here, there is even drive test. that uses spare cylinders.. gotta love SCSI (but may damage data doing the test track test., come back here only if data is not critical)

9: ok, boot to windows. and the load the Adaptec drivers. sorry Microshaft took out the drivers long ago, so PNP is DOA now, but do try to let windows find it. (in the olden days MS the install disk had the driver there (XP) ,but no MORE ! not on CD and not squirreled way in the windows folder either.)

in fact, w8 might find them online automatically, let ..... as always.... Device manger is you guiding light here... as always. (red or yellow marks are bad)

if not , get the drivers on line. usually the newest adaptec drivers work.
the last one may be VISTA and ive had great luck force feeding Vista drivers to newer windoz 7/8.

10: ok, now this drive shows up in DM disk management as DISK2, so set the drive letter now. and now the OS sees it. (end to end and your data)
easy huh? if restoring data, you need to know, who put it there and HOW? if not , this can be a long long row to hoe.....

here is one driver, i suspect this link, helps them all.
http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/2940/aha-2940...

really VISTA is like windows 7 ALPHA, (DOA) but the drivers do work in most cases, done 1000s. but vista is mostly hopeless as an OS, avoid it .
some do get VISTA up after 100 hrs hard labor, why?

see windows 7, (shock) but for other older cards, Vista may be the only choice.........
http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/scsi/2940/aha-2940...

hope this saves you wasted time or lost data...... back up often but maybe not to SCSI, no?

m
l
!