GPRS + GPS in the car??? any solution??

Tags:
Last response: in Technologies
July 20, 2004 3:11:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

Hello GSM masters ;)

I'm trying to find any solution that may let me connect advantages of GPRS
and GPS in car.

For instans i would like to send (with GPRS network) information about my
location which i would obtain from GPS system. if you know any ways of
implementing such a system in a car i'd be grateful for any advice.

Are there any devices that use both (GPS & GPRS) which i would just put to
my car and use it??
or maybe to combine normal car GPS car receiver with kind of GPRS
module/modem with which i would be able to send infos??

thanks in advance

greeting for everyone here,
Greg,

More about : gprs gps car solution

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 1:43:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

"G." <kaluckig@tlen.pl> schreef in bericht news:cdhe0n$dor$2@news.onet.pl...
> Hello GSM masters ;)
>
> I'm trying to find any solution that may let me connect advantages of GPRS
> and GPS in car.
>
> For instans i would like to send (with GPRS network) information about my
> location which i would obtain from GPS system. if you know any ways of
> implementing such a system in a car i'd be grateful for any advice.
>
> Are there any devices that use both (GPS & GPRS) which i would just put to
> my car and use it??
> or maybe to combine normal car GPS car receiver with kind of GPRS
> module/modem with which i would be able to send infos??
>
> thanks in advance

A pocketpc can use GPS and through a bluetooth connection it can use GPRS.
There is even software available that lets you see the possition of others
and yourself on a map. Not sure of the name. If seen it on my search for
geocaching software. So geocaching would be a good search tem in google.

Boonie
July 20, 2004 2:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular-phone-tech (More info?)

Google for "APRS" which is used by radio amateurs to do exactly that.

Paul
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 10:16:29 AM

"G." wrote:

> Hello GSM masters ;)
>
> I'm trying to find any solution that may let me connect
> advantages of GPRS and GPS in car.
>
> For instans i would like to send (with GPRS network)
> information about my location which i would obtain from GPS
> system. if you know any ways of implementing such a system in
> a car i'd be grateful for any advice.
>
> Are there any devices that use both (GPS & GPRS) which i would
> just put to my car and use it??
> or maybe to combine normal car GPS car receiver with kind of
> GPRS module/modem with which i would be able to send infos??

I have done something a little similar. At this stage I use SMS
instead of GPRS to send the position information, and the
position info I send is the names of the last 3 (distinct) cell
names and the cell ID of the serving cell. Here in Australia,
all GSM networks broadcast cell names (town or suburb names) on
cell broadcast channel 50.

I have written my own software to do network monitoring. The
software runs on a laptop from a DOS boot diskette with the
laptop connected to the phone via a serial cable. The laptop
runs from a small 150W inverter using the car's 12V power.
Operation is automatic, with the network data being logged to
disk for later analysis. The automatic sending of position
SMSs is optional, and uses a destination number and time period
(in minutes) from a configuration file. I plan to incorporate
GPS position information in future.

If you have programming ability, you could build exactly the
application you want.

A major advantage of using a GSM terminal rather than a phone is
that the terminals run from 12V power, meaning that you don't
need to recharge the phone's battery periodically. Battery
capacity is reduced considerably when a serial cable (or
Bluetooth) is used for constant data transfer.

John
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 10:14:40 PM

Use a PocketPC with Bluetooth or Serial connection, with GPS connected
to PPC, running CoPilot mapping software, with the PPC and bluetooth
connected to phones GPRS.

!